4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection - top experts on vital topics
This is a must-read for anyone interested in energy policy or global warming policy.

It contains strong essays by top experts in their fields - economics, geology, etc.

Published on May 26 2009 by David Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing!
So basically the idea is not a bad one, take a bunch of leading experts from different perspectives on the same issue and produce a volume.

Published on May 19 2009 by J. Henry

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection - top experts on vital topics, May 26 2009
David Thompson (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews

The experts place different emphases on different sets of facts, and come to different conclusions about which is a more grave and urgent problem - the end of cheap oil, or global warming. Thus the reader will be required to think, and come to her/his own conclusions.

What they all agree on, though, is the urgent need for governments to adopt policies that will quickly and sharply reduce consumption of fossil fuels. This would address both challenges.

I would have given it five stars, but for two minor shortcomings. First, the essay by William Marsden is passionate and interesting, but doesn't really seem to fit with the other essays, which are more fact-based and less rhetorical. (Incidentially, I do agree with Marsden's general point about Alberta's headlong rush into uncontrolled tar sands development being incredibly short-sighted - see "Stupid to the Last Drop".) Second, I wish there could have been a chapter (or perhaps an associated online wiki) where the various experts have a brief exchange, and we see the analysis advanced further.

But these are truly quibbles. This is absolutely essential reading for anyone interested in these areas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing!, May 19 2009

I somehow expected more from this book. In the end it came across as experts arguing and not much holding it together. I found myself wondering who was right, and which stats to trust. Each expert marshall all sorts of evidence, the problem is one chapter says that peak oil is the biggest problem, and the next argues it's the least or our worries.

I ended up not knowing who was right, or what data to trust. Overall I don't feel as if I know much more about the problems we're facing on the climate / energy front. I just know it's a very very complicated and difficult problem

Carbon Shift: How Peak Oil and the Climate Crisis Will Change Canada (and Our Lives)
CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 15.88