5.0 out of 5 stars A useful compilation, but read between the lines, April 9 2012
This book embraces many fields of personal development, and in addition to the expected material on persuasion, motivation, and relationships it examines many other areas of interest. I love the idea of presenting all of these fields side by side, because while they are all connected, we generally find ourselves trawling through many books in order to get a glimpse at the larger picture. Mr Wiseman, with his entertaining and engaging style, writes with great clarity and readability as he covers a record number of psychological principles in relatively few pages.

We have to take some of this material with a pinch of salt. In his section on attraction, Wiseman tells us with certainty that if, on first meeting a woman, a man makes a point of touching her, his success rate will be higher because he is communicating high status. Hmm. Firstly, opinion is divided on the status issue, some people tell us that the toucher is communicating LOWER status because they are 'grooming' the touchee; secondly, maybe the success rate can be put down to the increased intimacy; thirdly, this idea might encourage men to touch women who do not wish to be touched.

Also, I kept on hearing that `Prof X had a hunch that Y, so he decided to conduct an experiment to see if this was so', and then, to our great surprise, we find that Prof X was indeed right. In one such experiment (p152) Wiseman describes how a scientist had a hunch that a woman with larger breasts would receive more offers at a nightclub, and to his surprise he discovered that indeed he was right. Well, I would never have guessed.

Having read many books on related topics and found a lot of this sort of research, I guess that this approach comes with the territory. With this in mind, because there is a lot of room for personal interpretation (although the results of the big boobs experiment are fairly clear), it is probably best if you play `spot the leap of faith' and keep your mind on the experiments. Judge the conclusions for yourself. If you do this, along with reading the excellent discussion in the text, you will find some very useful advice.

I had always wondered whether playing Mozart to our children really could raise their I.Q., now I know the answer. When I teach, I strive to motivate my students as much as I can - this book has given me a little more insight on how to do this.

A little experiment: If you ask any 2/3 year old child whether they prefer daddy or chips the answer will nearly always be chips.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Summary of Research, April 29 2012
This review is from: 59 Seconds: Change Your Life in Under a Minute (Paperback)
This book is essentially a summary of research on a number of complex topics, such as persuasion, goal setting, creativity, etc. Wiseman presents a number of practical studies and applies the information in clever ways. Overall the book was quite good, and I found the chapter on goal-setting particularly helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly self help book, March 16 2012
If you are reading this don't waste your time looking for any other "sef-help" book out there.
59 seconds is the book you're looking for.
Richard Wiseman approaches the topic with scientific researches and proven techniques that can help you improve in several different areas of your life.

This book is a MUST!

4.0 out of 5 stars surprised by the amount of material, Dec 11 2013
I have only listened to most of the first CD (of 6!) and the purchase already feels worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, Aug. 10 2012
I've read dozens of self help books over the years. Most are based on theory. This book is based on the study of human behaviour.

I would recommend it first for anyone starting their journey of self discovery

59 Seconds: Change Your Life in Under a Minute
59 Seconds: Change Your Life in Under a Minute by Richard Wiseman (Paperback - Dec 28 2010)
CDN$ 19.95 CDN$ 14.40