march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage scflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 9, 2012
This book embraces many fields of personal development, and in addition to the expected material on persuasion, motivation, and relationships it examines many other areas of interest. I love the idea of presenting all of these fields side by side, because while they are all connected, we generally find ourselves trawling through many books in order to get a glimpse at the larger picture. Mr Wiseman, with his entertaining and engaging style, writes with great clarity and readability as he covers a record number of psychological principles in relatively few pages.

We have to take some of this material with a pinch of salt. In his section on attraction, Wiseman tells us with certainty that if, on first meeting a woman, a man makes a point of touching her, his success rate will be higher because he is communicating high status. Hmm. Firstly, opinion is divided on the status issue, some people tell us that the toucher is communicating LOWER status because they are 'grooming' the touchee; secondly, maybe the success rate can be put down to the increased intimacy; thirdly, this idea might encourage men to touch women who do not wish to be touched.

Also, I kept on hearing that `Prof X had a hunch that Y, so he decided to conduct an experiment to see if this was so', and then, to our great surprise, we find that Prof X was indeed right. In one such experiment (p152) Wiseman describes how a scientist had a hunch that a woman with larger breasts would receive more offers at a nightclub, and to his surprise he discovered that indeed he was right. Well, I would never have guessed.

Having read many books on related topics and found a lot of this sort of research, I guess that this approach comes with the territory. With this in mind, because there is a lot of room for personal interpretation (although the results of the big boobs experiment are fairly clear), it is probably best if you play `spot the leap of faith' and keep your mind on the experiments. Judge the conclusions for yourself. If you do this, along with reading the excellent discussion in the text, you will find some very useful advice.

I had always wondered whether playing Mozart to our children really could raise their I.Q., now I know the answer. When I teach, I strive to motivate my students as much as I can - this book has given me a little more insight on how to do this.

A little experiment: If you ask any 2/3 year old child whether they prefer daddy or chips the answer will nearly always be chips.
on March 17, 2016
Wiseman does a thorough job presenting tips and techniques that are likely to boost your happiness and creativity, and he more than accomplishes his part as the author of the book. However, the book is interesting in that half of the effort has to be done by the reader in order to get the most out of the book. You may be tempted to simply read through the chapters while not actually following the techniques given, and then complain that the book didn't give you what you wanted. There is a big difference between reading a book and engaging with a book. While the book is a fun and entertaining read, actually engaging with it and its ideas will give you a far greater pay-off.
on November 12, 2015
I've read a lot of self development books over the years and they tend to make claims founded upon previous claims other people make. It's refreshing to see some evidence and actual findings. Great game changers under a minute.
on September 3, 2015
I love this book, because the author made a little bit of effort to support his writing by research.
on March 24, 2016
Is a very good book.. Used in pretty good condition for the price...
on March 16, 2012
If you are reading this don't waste your time looking for any other "sef-help" book out there.
59 seconds is the book you're looking for.
Richard Wiseman approaches the topic with scientific researches and proven techniques that can help you improve in several different areas of your life.

This book is a MUST!
on April 29, 2012
This book is essentially a summary of research on a number of complex topics, such as persuasion, goal setting, creativity, etc. Wiseman presents a number of practical studies and applies the information in clever ways. Overall the book was quite good, and I found the chapter on goal-setting particularly helpful.
on December 8, 2015
The book arrived brand new. No blemishes.
on March 1, 2016
I didn't buy this book so I could read on all the surveys that people have conducted over the the years relating to how we behave. I bought it so that maybe I can get some insight on how I can change. Unfortunately it did not deliver.
on August 10, 2012
I've read dozens of self help books over the years. Most are based on theory. This book is based on the study of human behaviour.

I would recommend it first for anyone starting their journey of self discovery