4.0 out of 5 stars A life worth emulating, June 6 2010
Paul Acree (Thunder Bay, ON CDN) - See all my reviews
Dr. Abuelaish's harrowing journey from his birth in a Gaza refugee camp to becoming an eminent OB-GYN, with all the typically terrible tragedy that befalls Gazan Palestinians, makes for engaging reading. That Dr. Abuelaish has refused to give into despair and hatred proves once again the resilience of the human spirit as well as what is possible when a person who has been raised to value what is truly valuable then goes on to act accordingly. Dr. Abuelaish's life, and that of his remaining family, is a triumph amidst tragedy. If you want your faith in what is possible restored, read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to weep, Oct. 26 2010
My review draws on an review article by Harriet Sherwood (guardian.co.uk) - Sunday 15 August 2010

This is a deeply moving book, chronicling a devout Muslim's experience of almost unbearable suffering and his remarkable response to it. To summarize, One December day in Gaza, Dr Izzeldin Abuelaish took his eight children to the beach. Two months earlier, the children's mother had died from acute leukaemia, and Abuelaish was comforted to see his older daughters laughing and chatting as they wrote their names in the sand: Bessan, Maya, Aya.

But within five weeks the Abuelaishs were to suffer a second tragedy: those three girls, aged 13, 15 and 21, were killed, and another daughter, Noor, 17, seriously injured, when an Israeli shell was fired at the family home during the brief but bloody war in Gaza in 2008-9. One of Abuelaish's nieces also died; a fifth girl, another niece, suffered terrible injuries.

The title, "I Shall Not Hate" describes the book's message. "I'm against any violence," says Abuelaish. "Violence and the military approach proved its failings decades ago and that will never, ever change.As Palestinians and Israelis we have failed to change course. We just continue with the same approach which aggravates, escalates and widens the gap of hatred and bloodshed. It's easy to destroy life but very difficult to build it."

Faced with such violence, many would seek revenge. Abuelaish does not.""There is a difference between anger and hate. Anger is acute but transient; hate is a poison, a fire which burns you from the inside. We need to be angry, but direct it in a positive way."

I commend this book to persons of all faiths and none.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important read, May 12 2014
This review is from: I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey (Paperback)
This book is touching and real and helps to understand the Palestinian-Isreali conflict in a way no news reports can - through the eyes of one man's experience. A man who chooses to see all people as equal and who's generosity in spirit towards what could easily be called "the enemy" is an inspiration to all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, Dec 22 2012
This book has taken me on an emotional rollercoaster! Dr Abuelaish is a completely unique human being,who despite all the hardships in his life continues to fight for rights and peace..If you want to know the cold hard facts about what's happening in Israel/Palestine,this is the book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars If only everyone would read this..., May 25 2012
C. Kalangis (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey (Paperback)
Amazingly inspiring story of a remarkable man in a nightmare situation. If after reading this your view on the Israel-Palestine issue isn't affected then there may be no hope for your humanity. This book has affected the way I now view the whole conflict without ever vilifying one side or the other. This man's approach to dealing with tragedy beyond imagination is incredible, a real role model for us all in this world of ever increasing tensions. Read this book and strive for better. This is a story that can't be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, June 15 2010
Bretislav Beranek "Brett Beranek" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
The story of Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish's life is inspiring! A must read for anyone who wishes to see an end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Not only did this book provide me with a better understanding of the situation facing the people in Gaza, this book made me believe in peace.

Dr. Abuelaish is the Ghandi of the Palestinian people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration Personified, Dec 4 2010
Graham White "Graham" (Glenboro, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
While trying to avoid cliche's, I cannot avoid recording that this is one of the most inspiring books I have ever read. It needs to be a compulsory text book in every school, even more so for schools in the Middle East which is so torn apart by hatred, anger and frustration. The lack of bitterness of Izzeldin is more than a breath of fresh air - it is the breath of Life. If only there were provision for 10 stars, this book would get it from me. More than ever this book illustrates the terrible truth that much of the cost of war and hatred in the world is engineered by minorities and political leaders with self righteous sadistic tendencies, who have lost the common touch and whose motives are disproportionate revenge rather than reconciliation.

The situation in Israel and Palestine is particularly brutal as it has lasted so long and traversed so many, now embittered, generations. I share with Izzeldin the conviction that the vast majority in the Middle East (and in other trouble spots in the world) want no more than harmony and peaceful co-existence, despite cultural and religious differences. I have now purchased 2 copies of this book just to be used as gifts and to spread the message of peace and reconciliation so exceptionally portrayed in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Balancing the literature., Oct. 31 2010
I read "Kite Runner", "A Thousand Splendid Sons" and "Infidel". I read "I Shall Not Hate" looking for a balance to these books. I found "I Shall Not Hate" a very interesting read with a lesson that we all should incorporate in our lives. To have experienced what Ezzeldin experienced and to still be able to move forward with the belief that change can be achieved by virtue is very honourable. The question I have is, How do we teach the masses that hatred is not a solution? Not an easy question to answer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pure source of enlightenment, Nov. 5 2010
It is not surprising that the Gaza Doctor won the acclaimed Olivier D'or trophy in part for the inspiration he provides in this book. The trophy, sculpted by Anna Chromy, Sculptress of the Cloak of Conscience, has been awarded by Association Pax Medicalis, Cote d'Azur, France for remarkable achievements in the cause for humanity and regeneration.(Laureate 2008 Sister Emmanuelle, the 'French Mother Theresa').

This is a book which can change your outlook on life and make you at peace with the world and everything in it. A remarkable story.

5.0 out of 5 stars And its not even tacky, Aug. 30 2010
Atd Servic "maclupus.net" (maclupus.net) - See all my reviews
Its hope in a book. Sound terrible but its true. I sat and read it at once.

I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey
I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey by Izzeldin Abuelaish (Paperback - March 29 2011)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16