4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting set-up for a new series
Pros: interesting premise, fast-paced mystery

Cons: protagonists show little emotion, paranormal elements are light

Published 7 months ago by Jessica Strider

3.0 out of 5 stars forgotton already
I thought it was an adult book when i purchased it and to tell you the truth i was disappointed in it. Actually i've forgotton what it's about. I love Kelley and have ALL of her books. I'm proud she's from my neck of the woods and will keep checking out her books.
Published 4 months ago by judith cummings

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting set-up for a new series, Aug. 22 2013
Jessica Strider (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Omens (Cainsville, Book 1) (Hardcover)
Pros: interesting premise, fast-paced mystery

Cons: protagonists show little emotion, paranormal elements are light

Twenty-four year old socialite Olivia Taylor-Jones's life is turned upside down when she discovers that not only is she adopted, her birth parents are notorious serial killers. Running to avoid the media and protect her mother and fiancee, Olivia ends up in Cainsville, a small town outside Chicago. While trying to get by on her own she starts investigating the murder case that put her parents behind bars. And her superstition about omens seems to be giving her good guidance lately.

There's a lot going on in this novel. There's Olivia's coming of age, as she's forced from her home and social expectations and allowed to find what she wants out of life. There's the murder mystery, long gone cold with few leads that haven't been followed by others. And there's the town, with it's unique mixture of people, many of whom have some connection to Britain's folkloric past - though Olivia's mostly unaware of this and the reader's only given hints. This book is primarily grounding for the new series. We're introduced to the main players, including the town itself, with its numerous gargoyles and mysterious happenings.

I loved the plot, that this girl discovers she's the kid of serial killers and how she deals with it. And she deals with it remarkably well. Despite the many things she learns, sees and does, she never breaks down. Which is surprising, because she sees and does some horrific things. It was strange not seeing her deal with the grief and shock that would have accompanied some of what she does/encounters. But it certainly set her up as a strong character - much like Ripley from the Alien franchise. Kick-ass and capable, but not always right. In many ways she's well complemented by Gabriel Walsh, the lawyer who offers his aid - for a fee - who also displays little emotion. I liked that the groundwork of a romance between them was set up, but that it's being allowed to develop naturally - assuming that's the direction the author is taking their relationship.

It's a quick, entertaining read and a good set up for what sounds like an interesting series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new series!, Oct. 13 2013
I love Kelley Armstron's writing so when I saw that she was starting a new series, I grabbed it!
I can't wait for more to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., Oct. 9 2013
I have read all of Kelly's books so I am a big fan. I really enjoyed this book and how it sets us up wanting more can't wait for the next book. Nancy

5.0 out of 5 stars A mystery that unfolds like a flower, Sept. 25 2013
I'm a big fan of this author so I didn't hesitate to pick up this book. I knew nothing about it when I started it. I didn't even read the promotional blurb! At first I didn't know what to think. Is it a mystery? Are some events paranormal or just strange? After finishing the book I still can't entirely answer these questions! There are several murders that need to be solved and the main character and her mother's lawyer play detective amidst much sexual tension. It is much more complicated than it sounds! There are serial killers, government conspiracies,and a supernatural element that I haven't figured out yet. There are several references to Welsh mythology throughout the book. If I knew anything about Welsh mythology they would probably be clues as to the nature of the paranormal involved, but I know NOTHING about this topic. I could look up some of these words, but as the author suggests in the preface, that would spoil the surprise. I'm willing to let everything unfold as the series progresses. This is a mystery worth waiting for!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!!!!!, Sept. 20 2013
This was fabulous. Loved the new characters, love the town, love the mystery, and the clues! I especially love that it left me hungering for the next book. I saw that another reviewer had called it a great "whodunit mystery". I agree but I also think it is even more than that. A great paranormal romance whodunit mystery! So well done, Kelley.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginning to a New Series, Sept. 9 2013
A. Soares - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
When the Otherworld series ended, I thought that no follow-up series by Ms. Armstrong could fill its shoes. I may be wrong. Still reserving judgment (as one book does not a series make) but this is an intriguing beginning to what could be a fabulous new series.

The premise: Olivia Taylor-Jones seems to have it all. Her place in the world is set as the heiress to her parents' fortune set to be married to her perfect fiance within the year. Then everything changes. The press gets word that Olivia is in fact adopted and her parents are none other than infamous serial killers "the Larsons".

In this story, the first of what could be a show-stopping new series by Kelley Armstrong, Olivia/Eden moves to Cainsville in order to hide from the press and make a new life for herself. She searches to find herself by finding a job and begins to look into her genetic roots to see what truth lies beneath. Are her parents truly serial killers? All around her are the omens she has been seeing as far back as she remembers. It seems that Olivia has a gift for interpreting Omens...

The magic in this series is more of a tease, very slow, subtle hints of what is to come later on in the series. Just as Olivia is finding herself, so is she learning to trust her instincts when it comes to the Omens she sees everywhere.

Verdict: Definitely worth a read. Great set-up to a new series by Kelley Armstrong. The plot was interesting, and quick paced, the characters definitely grew through the book, and the world is something I really can't wait to read more of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different and intriguing, Aug. 27 2013
K. Young "BA" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Once again, Armstrong creates an intriguing world that hooks you immediately. Personally, I wish she hadn't mentioned using the net to look up strange terms, as she did in her preface. It would not have occurred to me, but I considered doing just that. Ultimately, I refrained.
I look forward to more from this excellent author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you Start you will Never be able to Put this Book Down., April 7 2014
It doesn't take long to get into this book and once you do you will find it hard to put down. Never a boring moment and full of the unexpected. Kelly Armstrong at her best, the only bad thing is that I have to wait till the end of the year to read the next in this series of three books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ooh, a Yummy new series!, Jan. 31 2014
Jennifer Mclean "Artist" (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I do really love reading books, but what I love even more than reading is discovering a new author. I have to admit that I normally wouldn't have chosen this kind of book. My genre is mysteries and although there's a mystery involved Omens, it also has a decidedly paranormal slant. That's the thing that normally would have scared me away. No, I'm not a scaredy-cat, lol, it's just I usually find paranormal books a little weird. Much like some books in the fantasy genre, much of the time I'm put off by the overwhelmingly unbelievability of everything. That's one of the things I LOVED about this book. Much of the writing and happenings were believable, the author expertly wove a good, believable plot line into some paranormal events. She didn't name her characters something unpronounceable and make their behavior bizarre.

There is a saying about a good book, "You Can't Put It Down!". This book seriously fits that description. Even better, it's also an easy read, cool huh?? In fact, Omens was so good, when I finished it I rushed to the computer to find out when the next installment of the series was due. Oh, didn't I tell you? It's a SERIES TOO!! YAY! For me, the sign of a good book is when you just can't stop thinking about the character once you close the cover. You find yourself wondering what's gonna happen next with Olivia? You wonder how she's doing, as if her life continues when you're not reading about her. I have to say, for the past week, I've wondered nearly obsessively about the title character. Now that's a good author!

Let me give you a small synopsis or outline of the story. No, no spoilers here, you don't have to avert your eyes if you intend to be smart and try this book. I don't believe in those types of reviews. I think my job as a reviewer is to give you my opinion as to weather the book is actually worth your time and why I believe it is or not. Ok, so, as I said, the main character is Olivia. She's in her mid twenties and she's been raised in a very privileged household. Olivia is intelligent, educated and wealthy, she's engaged to a handsome man and she seems to have it all, until the night she finds out that she is actually the daughter of notorious serial killers Pamela and Todd Larson. Her newly learned adopted status throws her life into chaos as the media descend on her Chicago home. The story is about just how Olivia handles the news about her heritage. Are her real parents actually guilty of brutally killing eight people? Did her adoptive parents know about who she was before they adopted her? Does this change who she is?

The author expertly weaves the paranormal into the story. Kelley Armstrong, the author of Omens, starts with subtle ideas that are easily accepted by the reader, then after she's gotten the reader hooked she introduces more intricacies. One of the other good things about Ms. Armstrong's writing is she doesn't break the contract she starts with the reader. I think of the outline of who the main character is as a contract between the writer and the reader. If the author then breaks the contract by having the character, like Olivia, do something not within her personal reality, then I consider the author is lying.The author of Omens doesn't make Olivia do anything foolishly out of character.

Have I convinced you yet to pick up this book? Yes? Glad to hear it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising start to a new series, Jan. 8 2014
M. (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is definitely worth a read. I was a BIG fan of Kelley Armstrong's first book, but found her subsequent books a little watered down. This series feels fresh, though I still see the rather hackney'd fingerprints of the publisher all over it (Love triangle! We have to set it up for a love triangle!).

ARRAY(0xaac74360)

Omens (Cainsville, Book 1)
Omens (Cainsville, Book 1) by Kelley Armstrong (Hardcover - Aug. 20 2013)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.77