4.0 out of 5 stars A hybrid of a book...
Published on Nov. 10 2011 by Jill Meyer

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed
I have in paperback all the books written by P.D. James and have loved every one, except this one. It is very well written but the story was just not my "cup of tea".
Published 2 months ago by hezzie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A hybrid of a book..., Nov. 10 2011
Jill Meyer (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
As a longtime "Jane-ite", I have always considered Jane Austen's work to be sacrosanct and not to be touched by other, lesser writers. I've stayed away from modern attempts to bring Austen's characters and stories - particularly those of "Pride and Prejudice" - to life in sequels. No one, I thought, had the literary "chops" to take Austen's characters and write a competent sequel. Then I heard that PD James, a mystery writer I had long admired, had taken a stab at writing a sequel.

The resulting novel - "Death Comes to Pemberly" - is an awkward combination of mystery and comedy-of-manners and doesn't quite come off. The two genres don't quite come together, even in Ms James' deft hands. Maybe it was the choice of centering the story on George Wickham and a murder he is being tried for having committed. Wickham has never been a particularly interesting character in the original novel; he was the center around which events took place, but I never wanted to know more about what happened to him after the novel ended. And, in fact, that raises a particular question in my mind. Who ARE the characters in "P&P" I would want to read about? I can't think of a single one, actually.

Maybe that's because I figured a long time ago that "Pride and Prejudice" was a completed story. There's a reason an author doesn't write sequels; maybe everything that can be said about a cast of character has already been said. That's what Margaret Mitchell always felt about "Gone With The Wind". And Jane Austen certainly didn't return to any of older books when writing new ones. (In this book, James writes a little about the "Eliot" family").

So what about PD James' book? It seemed like an "adequate" mystery and an "adequate" comedy-of-manners. I've read most of James' back list and I wouldn't put this book near the top of the list. But, on the other hand, sometimes "adequate" can be a good read, which this book is. I'm not sure anyone who isn't familiar with Jane Austen would bother reading it, but for Austen fans, it's a suitable read for a rainy day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different for PD James, and it's great!, Jan. 23 2012
Barbara F "Baba" (Victoria, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley (Hardcover)
P.D. James has always been one of my favourite authors and her newest book is a delightful change from her regular characters. Her prologue, to review what we know of the Darcy Family, was perfect - enough to remind us of the characters but not too much to be boring. Then she carries on with an excellent who-dunnit that comes up to her past standards. I couldn't put the book down it was so good! And she kept us guessing right to the end! You won't be disappointed with this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it!, Sept. 17 2012
Reader21 "scary1" (Edmonton AB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley (Hardcover)
As a Jane Austen fan, and a P.D. James fan this was a book that I had great expectations of -- and I got everything I hoped for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome read, July 1 2012
PD James captures Jane Austin's world and her prose perfectly. While keeping with the favorite characters the new story brings a light, fun touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars P.D. James Alias Jane Austen, March 3 2012
S. J. J. Freeman (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley (Hardcover)
Despite having written this book when she was 87 years old, P.D.Jmes hasn't lost a stroke. She can still keep us glued to the story and maintains her highly intelligent, analytical approach. This book is Jane Austin's "Pride and Prejudice" five years later. A number of Austin's characters re-appear and, in the course of a murder and its solution, we even get a few questions answered that perplexed us in the original. To me, the most remarkable achievement of "Death Comes to Pemberley" is the precise rendering of Jane Austin's style and of the social mores of the period. You'll love it; I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jane Austen Deja Vue, Jan. 6 2012
Carolyn "Tell us about yourself!Omnivorous ca... (Lakeland, United States Minor Outlying Islands) - See all my reviews
_Death Comes to Pemberley is a treat for die-hard Austen fans as it reads like one of her works with just enough suspense to keep the reader interested.In some parts was rather slow reading but that too is an Austen characteristic.I found it good entertainment.I would,however,recommend that a reader have some prior knowledge of the works of Jane Austen in order to fully appreciate P.D.James creation.

4.0 out of 5 stars P.D. James Still Going Strong at 91, Dec 29 2011
Alison S. Coad (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley (Hardcover)
In "Death Comes to Pemberly," the great P.D. James imagines what happens after the end of Jane Austen's famous novel, "Pride and Prejudice": Elizabeth and Darcy are married, the parents of two young children and the wealthy owners of the Pemberly estate. Elizabeth's sister Jane is married to Bingley and they live not too far away; sister Lydia has married the reprehensible Wickham and they are Not Received at Pemberly due to Wickham's previous behaviour with Darcy's younger sister, Georgiana. All seems settled and quiet, until Lydia appears one night, uninvited, screaming that Wickham has been murdered. Darcy and the other males in the household mount a search and find Wickham very much alive, but his soldier companion, Captain Denny, is quite dead and worse, Wickham (in his cups) keeps stating that "I've killed him" and "it's my fault!" Naturally he is arrested and brought to trial, and Darcy and Elizabeth must try to untangle the complicated situation and find proof of the much-disliked Wickham's innocence.... I hate to confess that I've never read "Pride and Prejudice" (although I've seen films based on it), but I *have* read other novels written in Austen's time and it seems to me that James gets the style perfectly; and her always clever plotting and deep characterizations are up to the mark here too. At 91, this lady is still producing exquisite work; I imagine that those who know Austen's original novel will pick up on nuances that I didn't, but either way, "Death Comes to Pemberly" comes highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 8 2014
James is an extremely good writer and good at bringing Jane Austen's character to life

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed, June 14 2014
hezzie "horse lover" (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Did you ever wonder?, April 6 2014
Now I can imagine what happened to Elizabeth and Mr.D'arcy after their wedding. haven't you? It is exciting to read.

Love reading it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Death Comes to Pemberley
Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James (Hardcover - Dec 6 2011)
CDN$ 32.00 CDN$ 20.06