5.0 out of 5 stars A Lot Can Be Learned
Published on Oct. 24 2007 by Eric Draven

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough of a guide
This book is filled with stories of past successes, but not enough do-it-yourself tips. I would have preferred Cesar to share how to use assertive energy. I would also have liked to see more info arounf large breed dogs, and pups.
Published on May 17 2013 by Chantalle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lot Can Be Learned, Oct. 24 2007
I have read both of Cesar's books and have really learned a lot from them. His techniques have impacted my dog's life. His 1st was a lesson in dog behavior and how to deal with their issues that usually lead to bad behavior. This new book helps both the dog and the human by establishing how to be the leader in your dog's life. He gives many examples of how to be a calm assertive leader as well as why this state of mind is so important. I REALLY recommend this book and the book "Understanding: Train of Thought" to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basics of being a dog owner, Sept. 4 2009
E. Beavis (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Be the Pack Leader: Use Cesar's Way to Transform Your Dog . . . and Your Life (Paperback)
This is a fundamental book if you are a dog owner. It explains the basics to how your dog sees everything around them, and it is important to understand this, as most of us naturally sees how things relate to us. How dogs relate and how humans relate is very different, and that is why if we don't understand how dogs relate and assume they are just like us, then problems emerge. This book has specifics to guide us, which is not necessarily natural to humans, such as walking through 30-40 dogs with "No talk, no touch, no eye contact" rule. If you want a happy dog, a happy household, a happy you, then you need to read this book and understand how dogs relate to everything around them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Perfect Dog, Feb. 4 2014
This book was very helpful for me, because my husband is a clear alpha in the house, while I'm seen as a member of the family even below the cat.
Since employing some of Cesar's methods, I've had much more positive responses from my 11mo lab, and 3mo old pom/papillon.
Helpful advice

5.0 out of 5 stars great book and all dog owners should own this book, Oct. 28 2008
Louise Larabie (Arnprior, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
How much better a world it would be if people learned to be calm assertive with their dogs.

I loved this book. Those that have not truly read and understood this book are the only ones not recommending this book.

Those that get it can only sing praises for the book

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read for Dog owners, Feb. 7 2013
Easy to read writing style, informative, tips work with people too (be calm and assertive at all times). This is not about training your dog, it is about changing how you think about dogs and behaviour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cesar helpful as usual..., July 31 2013
As usual Cesar's books always help me out as a new dog owner. I'm always asking questions and everytime I pick up any of his books they answer them. The book came in great condition, until my puppy tore the cover off haha!

5.0 out of 5 stars the only way to be with dog, Sept. 23 2008
Carl Morissette (Quebec City, Qc) - See all my reviews
peoples who see Cesar as a bully or inhuman with dog should not have a dog. wolf and dogs are genetically so close to each other that they shold not be considered as different species ( read "The Dog's Mind" by Bruce Foggle )

if you really love your dog for what he is, then read those books and do exactly what they say. And don't forget, dogs are like never grown up kids, they need a figure of authority and they can't be thought with cookies only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great source of info, June 11 2013
Must have reference book. Great addition to any pet owners collection. Some real wisdom presented in an easy read format.

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned a lot of important information about different breeds ..., April 30 2015
I learned a lot of important information about different breeds of dogs and things to do for and with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't rate this book high enough!!!, Jan. 16 2008
Cesar’s Way

Cesar Millan is one of the most sought-after dog rehabilitation experts of all time and his Dog Psychology Center (Los Angeles, CA) experiences more than 100 calls per day. He is most famous for the Nation Geographic Channel’s Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan TV series, which is currently in the fifth season. However he has appeared on numerous television programs, as a guest on popular talk shows and has been profiled in numerous magazines. He works tirelessly as a lecturer and an author of two best-selling books. His wife Ilusion, which I can tell you from personal experience, has created a revolutionary collar to help owners be the leader during walks. The couple has also founded a wonderful charitable organization known as the Cesar and Ilusion Millan Foundation where they provide financial support and rehabilitation expertise to shelters.

Cesar’s television show offers DVD’s for season one through four for those who are interested in owning a copy. He also offers several DVD’s through his website dealing with specific issues, such as bringing a puppy into a home and how to start the training. Readers can find articles, advice, short videos and more at: [...]

His first book, Cesars Way, was on the bestseller list for 15 weeks in a row and there are over a million copies in print. His second book, Be the Pack Leader, Use Cesar’s Way to Transform Your Dog… and Your Life, is bound to be equally embraced by dog-lovers, if not more so.

In this book Cesar offers an in-depth look at the methods he uses and the principles of dog psychology. This book goes deep in to the psychology of dogs and humans and offers realistic tips on how to become a pack leader at home, and in life. Over and over Cesar reiterates that everything revolves around the handler’s energy. I found that changing my responses and feelings were certainly the key to handling our two young and energetic dogs and noticed an immediate change in their responses. The book also delves into Cesar’s background and his personality, which I could relate to quite well.

I was amazed at examples of extreme cases such as the two pit bulls that were trained to fight with other dogs, but when they failed their owners they were abandoned with their wounds and one was even doused in gasoline and set aflame. Yet Cesar shows us that even these dogs can be rehabilitated and the abused animals can enjoy a long, healthy and happy life with the people they love. Both our dogs are rescued animals and it gives us such hope for them to know that if those poor animals could survive and thrive after an experience like that, ours will be just fine.

Be the Pack Leader, Use Cesar’s Way to Transform Your Dog… and Your Life has a suggested retail price of $25.95 (US), which is a bargain for a self-help book of this genre and for its size, 336 pages. It is made for heavy handling and is protected with both a durable hard cover and a glossy slipcover. Be the Pack Leader, Use Cesar’s Way to Transform Your Dog… and Your Life is also available as a Random House audio book and an ebook. Cesar co-wrote this book with Melissa Jo Peltier, who is an executive producer and writer for the Nation Geographic Channel’s Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan TV series. Harmony Books recently released the book in Oct 2007 and yet it is already becoming a common topic for dog-lovers.

My husband and I have been big fans of Cesar’s TV show, and rent the DVD’s at our local video store quite often. (We choose not to have cable TV). When I noticed the title come up on the list of available books to review at Curled-Up With a Good Book, I was excited and thrilled to send in my acceptance for the project. When the box of review projects arrived in the mail, my husband took this copy to read as soon as he saw it in the stack. He was lucky that I was already involved in another project! It was an experience I will not soon forget. This book is certainly destined for our reference shelf, and will never leave our hands – its just too valuable!

Rating 8 out of 5 stars.

~ Lillian Brummet: co-author of the books Trash Talk and Purple Snowflake Marketing, author of Towards Understanding; host of the Conscious Discussions radio show ([...]

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›