biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

on November 14, 2015
Entertaining voice but not my sort of thing.
on April 29, 2015
Motivating book with a lot of good ideas. However, the leek soup was a) disgusting and b) pretty baseless. It's about equivalent to just not eating for 3 days, which I didn't need a long-winded chapter to tell me would cause weight loss.

It was quite inspiring and the comparisons between French women and American women made sense, having travelled a lot and lived in US and EU, even if they were a little heavy-handed. However, a lot of what she suggests isn't realistic for someone who works a lot or has no access to daily fresh markets (most Americans). Believe me, if I could stroll down to the market on a Thursday morning and buy some fresh bread, mozzarella, and tomatoes for dinner, I would.
on December 9, 2014
It was a fairly good book. Lots of recipes. Not much else to say. If you like to learn about how french women eat which is slowly than you may enjoy this book.
on March 2, 2014
It's a great book about lifestyle choices and some fantastic attainable changes in your view on foods, what you eat and the way you eat. Love this book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 28, 2012
I didn't like this book. It was overpriced common sense. I already knew the so-called "secrets", and if I had the time, ability, and inclination to live life as French women do... I'd be a French woman living IN France.

And in France (or in Manhatten or in New Orleans, but NOT in north-western Canada) one can easily find year-round fresh local produce, fresh this and that, the "best" local this and that, relaxing this and that.

I couldn't find much that I could apply to life where I actually live. And this book therefore doesn't help me at all.

I think the only solution is for me to move somewhere that has milder, kinder climates, kinder people who cause me less stress in person and in traffic, fresh local food year-round, and a better atmosphere. Alberta ain't it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to use a shotgun to drive off some mosquitoes before they carry me away, then bear-proof my outdoor trash cans. Ahhh... summer in Alberta... Nothing like this in France.
Lucky France!
0Comment1 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 5, 2012
It's an enjoyable read. It introduces a new way of thinking about food. Food is not your enemy but something to be enjoyed. It introduces the European womens approach to food and weight control. A must read to women who don't enjoy sweating at the gym everyday. Simple recipes. I highly recommend this book.
on November 5, 2011
This is an amazing and inspiring book! I recommend it to every woman, no matter her weight or body image! It is not so much about dieting as it is about acquiring healthy lifestyle habits (by gradual tweaking, no drastic regimens here!), using common sense and moderation, and adopting a sane attitude about food and moving. Mireille Guiliano highlights the lifestyle differences between North America and France, and how one can greatly improve their weight and health by simply adopting a few time-proven, effective French tricks: use the stairs, eat small portions slowly, in order to really enjoy your food, have heavy desserts after light meals, learn to recognize the signals your body sends you when you are full and put down the fork. She puts a lot of emphasis of enjoyment of food, and making eating and cooking meals like pleasurable rituals. She says herself that she is no expert, but from my own experience staying in France for school a few years back, I have to confirm that the difference meets the eye rather obviously. Guiliano may be no nutritionist, but she is on to something! The book is also full of simple and delicious recipes that you can put in practice as you change your eating habits for the best.
on October 31, 2011
I enjoyed reading this book but found it completely impractical for busy family with kids and working parents. The author outlines very appealing principles of good lifestyle and food selection but she does not have children herself so would mostly be able to spend time on herself only and her job. She uses her childhood as an example of how this lifestyle is learned. Well, her mother had a nanny and it does not sound like her mom had a full time career job. Most women in France now have a government-paid support worker for the first year after the baby is born. This support worker cooks and cleans so that the mom has time to focus on going shopping in the local market and focus on her waistline. Most of the working moms in North America head to work after 3 months and get absolutely no help other then from family or if you can afford one. This makes a huge difference to quality of lifestyle, especially for women. Yes, it is a choice but that is why the choices made in North America have lot to do with lack of family support rather then the fact that people do not know how to eat properly. Families are also too busy driving everywhere and chafeuring to sport activities as there are mostly poor public transportation options (to which you'd have to walk to) and larger distances. So I find this book a bit not applicable to Canadian circumstances, especially for families. even though it does provide a fresh outlook on lifestyle and provides a few ideas to think about, together with some good recipes.
on September 26, 2011
Very pleasant read!!!!
Common sense book- brings you back to the basics!!!!!!!

Enjoyed the authors love for food, brings you back to childhood memories and mom s delicious recipes.

I recommend this book because it s not about diet rather understanding the principals of food and the enjoyment of it.
on September 12, 2010
Having read and re-read this book, it has become my go-to book for the how's, what's, and wherefores of not onlyeating, but total lifestyle.
Love it