5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA
"LOVE IN TIME OF CHOLERA"
By Gabriel García Márquez
Can we defined what it is love? How many kinds of love there are? When we know we
are in love, Can we know it? When we know is just something transitory? How we know
this is the right person to marry? These are some of the themes that Gabriel García
Márquez portrays...
Published on May 4 2004 by Carolina S.

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly Over-rated!!
Published on Nov. 16 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA, May 4 2004
"LOVE IN TIME OF CHOLERA"
By Gabriel García Márquez
Márquez portrays in this interesting novel.
This book shows that love is not always perfect and the illness of cholera are the same
that the illness of love. This novel shows us that love can come unexpected and the same
time can change very quickly. Love is not constant and sometimes changes people's live.
Love can do powerful things and this is reflected in Florentino Ariza who loved Fermina
Daza for more that fifty years.

This novel shows the large definition of love and one kind of love that we see is the love
between Fermina Daza and her husband, Dr, Urbino. At first neither of them are in love
but with time they begin to love each other "he was aware that he did not love her"(159)
" but as she kissed him for the first time he was sur e there would be no obstacle to their
inventing true love". (159) With the passing of the years, when they were old, the love
changed to a more mature defition of love.
This is an awesome book with unexpected ending. I recommend this novel and after you
read it is going to change the way you see love.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirating for all ages, June 12 2004
helen leung (Hong Kong, China) - See all my reviews
A simple story full of well-presented details, with sound, smell, colours and texture. Even you don`t believe in love, it worth the time and effort to go through it.
I can`t help but comparing Tomas of Unbearable lightness of being with Florentino. Tomas escape love in order to stay with lightness but at the end of his life he can`t get rid of Tereza; Florentino refrain himself from loving other for he believes his love is only for Fermina. They have slept with hundreds of women, good or bad, just for short-lived love and sex, and believe that fidelity is nothing to do with causal sex. I think it is a fantasy of man: The fate/destiny of a man is to have a woman who is his crowned goddness for spiritual love, and hundreds of sex mates for fullfiling of physical needs.
I just can`t accept Florentino, at his 76, fall in 'love' with a little girl only 14 years old and is under his guidance.
There are so many types of love in this book that sometimes you have to stop a while and ask yourself: Is it love? What is love?
I enjoy the book very much though in the middle of it the come and go of Florentino`s lovers are a bit bore and excessive. As a woman, sometimes I can`t quite follow Fermina`s thought because most of the women will not react like her did. She is a crowned goddess created by the author.

2.0 out of 5 stars Highly Over-rated!!, Nov. 16 1998
By A Customer
Filled with superfluous details, meant to paint a picture, but in the end only getting in the way. Dialog is for the most part non-existent, so beware when you make the 300+ page treck. The problem with this book is first and foremost, many episodes are unconvincing, such as Florentino loosing his virginity to a stranger in the dark on the ship. Yeh right! And even worse not being able to recognize her the next day. Not even being able to remember her scent?! I would have stop reading then had it not been for the 15 skins I shelled out (based on the outside cover reviews). Also for an artist/poet who read romantic fiction, he seemed to enjoy screwing without any intimacy. (The author cannot seem to write about it with much intimacy either, trying to sound literate but ending up sounding only vulgar). What turned me off is when he deflowered the 14 year old girl. Most readers, overlook this fact when they weep at the end. I guess he's only human, but then, so is she. If Bill Clinton were to carry on as such, these same readers would have his head. We never really get into either Florentino or Fermina's head. We never really know how Fermina makes him feel, or what it is about her that drives him. All we know is that he vomits a lot. We don't even know what is written in the LETTERS!!! Perhaps the author is incapable of writing a love letter. This is a very superficial book with many characters we will never care about. It is sad towards the end. "I remained a virgin for you". What did this mean? He remained a virgin in his soul? Oooh, heavy! (But then, he says it so convincingly, it had to have meant something!) The only redeeming quality is knowing that eventually we are all going to smell like vinegar. And in the words of BTO, "Any love is good love, so I took what I could get.." Words to live by.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not with a bang but with a wimper, Feb. 2 1999
By A Customer
This book is the worst type of book; it starts brilliantly, with the premise and smell of unrequited love, but then it just dies. I felt such relief at finishing, not because- thank God- I know "what happens" but because in good conscience I can now put it away and not have that hankering orange cover staring up at me from my bedstand. I do not mean to suggest that it is a bad book. It is not. But it fails to deliver on its opening promise. And, we never get to know the characters in any capacity greater than their actions. I have no idea if I like or dislike any of the three main characters. In fact, I don't think I care because I couldn't recognize them walking down the street. I felt betrayed by this book. Why couldn't it have been better?

2.0 out of 5 stars Major bore, Mainstream Pap, Feb. 10 2002
By A Customer
I had wanted to read this book for a long time, and when our bookclub choose it, I dove in. I found it only mildly interesting and entertaining. The parrot scence was amusing but I was soon too bored to continue. Every time I picked it up I wanted to put it down. The writing style is awkward and cumbersome, bogged down with excessive detail. I simply found nothing early on in this book to make me want to read further. Books like this kill my appetite for reading award-winners. I admit I didn't read very far, but my philosophy is that reading should be enjoyable and the book should capture my attention. It shouldn't be like trying to get yourself to clean your room. I was not happy with this selection at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Adulterous, May 5 1999
By A Customer
Perhaps the translation was not good. It almost seemed like the author was trying to prove to himself and the readers how eloquent and descriptive he could be. The whole book was overflowing with chapter-long descriptions and character analyses made by an omniscient narrator. For every effect, there was a cause that had to be explained for several pages. As if the author wanted to make certain that the reader was convinced of the complexity of the characters and situations. The first half was quite lovely, but when the adultery began, I became so tired of the characters and their actions. I read his novella, A Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor and thought it was excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars There's a movie made of this?, Nov. 26 2007
This review is from: Love in the Time of Cholera (Oprah's Book Club) (Paperback)
Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera is an epic love story, notable as much for its romanticism as for its unflinching gaze towards the vagaries of love's many faces. For those who scoff at or discard the literary love story, paradoxically, this is the book for you. Set in the seductive Caribbean during the mid-nineteenth century, Marquez's novel explores love in all its manifestations, from the vertigo of idolatry to the dirty dishes of marriage, and his portraits resonate exquisitely for anyone who has nursed this human inkling. Marquez never cheapens love nor falsifies it; on the contrary, he sees love's glory, or lack thereof, with an unerring eye. His portrait of marriage between his two protagonists, Dr. Juvenal Urbino and Fermina Daza, includes such observations such as "The problem with marriage is that it ends every night after making love, and it must be rebuilt every morning before breakfast." Interestingly, Marquez reveals an astute viewpoint towards the female predicament in marriage: Fermina Daza realizes she is nothing more to her husband than "a deluxe servant;" she feels she is trapped in his "holy service." Nor is Marquez oblivious to the bland atrocities committed by a husband: Dr. Juvenal Urbino proclaims meals prepared "without love;" he never deigns to pick anything up, turn out a light, or close a door. Marquez is a man who observes without bias the diurnal stalemate of a marriage lived daily. He concludes that "nothing in this world was more difficult than love." Marquez does not limit himself to the domestic pitfalls of marriage. Florentino Ariza, another man who figures prominently in this incognito Caribbean city, has loved Fermina Daza inexorably for fifty-three years, seven months, and eleven days. His love is fervent and never falters. Yet, before one chalks his devotion to an unlikely romanticism, the love Florentino Ariza fosters towards Fermina Daza is not idealized. Notwithstanding the hundreds of women he frenetically possesses during his admirable wait for Fermina Daza's widowhood, he is hardly a hero of unblemished character. At a very advanced age, he exploits his position as guardian of a 14-year old girl for physical love. Ultimately, when Florentino Ariza is granted the holy audience of Fermina Daza, he abandons the girl, who commits suicide. Towards the novel's conclusion, Florentino Ariza is very old, a victim of festering bed sores and unfettered constipation. Marquez's omniscient eye (or nose) describes the stench of the two elderly lovers as a "henhouse." Despite, or perhaps because of, these prosaic details, the reader does not doubt the authenticity of the feelings presented. Love, in Marquez's lush, grand novel, is made truer because of, not despite, its human frailties. Would also recommend the book ------THE WOMAN WHO CUT OFF HER LEG by Slavin for a FUNNY read that's nothing like this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book, May 23 2005
This book is one of the most beautiful I have ever read. Every page is like poetry.
Takes patience at first of course, but definitely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars love in any language, May 20 2004
Yoomi (United States) - See all my reviews
many people have tried to define love with words, as did florentino ariza. he wrote, read, ate, slept words. but like so many others, he discovered that love cannot be contained. it flows through our actions, through our lives, sometimes enriching, sometimes destroying. but in the end, it is what it is, in any era, at any age.
and like the characters, gabriel garcia marquez uses little dialog, instead, letting the story tell itself. often, i've read novels where the characters speak so much and so often that it leaves little room for emotion.
fermina daza is a strong woman who would be admired in any society. and like many strong woman, many may mistake her for unfeeling. but as you get to know her through garcia, you realize that she is as lost as anyone when it comes to love. it is only at the end of her journey that she realizes she has already arrived at her destination.
this translation moved me like few love stories have. i admit it did take a few tries for me to become absorbed but once i got started, i couldn't put it down. i only wish i could read it in its original form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical and Real, May 18 2004
In his youth, Florentino Azira was rejected by Fermina Daza at the end of a correspondence-driven affair. While she endures a marriage with a higher-class doctor, Azira continues to be faithful to Fermina, in his whimsically stubborn way that only Garcia Marquez could imagine.
While Marquez's other well-known novel, One Hundred Years of Solitude, is well-known for its characters who float into the air, or grow pig's tails, this book stands in decided contrast. The unbelievable happens not in the physical realm, but psychological. Here, a man has hundreds of lovers and yet remains loyal to one old, married woman. We don't ask for the psychiatrist's explanation, just like we didn't ask a scientist to explain 100 Years of Solitude. Instead, we believe and want to believe.
The details are lyrically described, different characters wind subplots around the single-minded Azira. The dialogue occurs in pithy lines scattered throughout, almost like inter-titles in old movies. Marquez doesn't move the mouths of his characters, he moves much larger forces. He moves ships, brings plagues, and stretches love over lifespans.

Love in the Time of Cholera (Oprah's Book Club)
Love in the Time of Cholera (Oprah's Book Club) by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Paperback - Oct. 5 2007)
CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 9.90