Although the story is about a man eating Siberian, or more appropriately, Amur tiger in the far east region of Russia, it is actually about creating awareness about this beautiful, but endangered species of cat.

Published on Sept. 6 2010 by Suhail Zubaid AHMAD

1.0 out of 5 stars Best non-fiction? I don't think so.
I managed to plow through this book, but just barely. If I wanted to study tigers in this much depth, I would buy a textbook. Oh - maybe I did. Yawn.
Published on May 12 2012 by S. Mackay

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A well researched book on a subject that merits public attention, Sept. 6 2010
Suhail Zubaid AHMAD "Suhail Zubaid-Ahmad" (Mississauga, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

The author keeps the true story intense, but departs from the main story a number of times for developing characters involved in it and in the process explains in detail the history, geography, economy, ecology, ethnicities and culture, predators and prey in the region, and of course the relationship between men and the beast. In fact, the authors goes into further details and educates the readers on different political eras of Russia, Sino-Soviet relations of the past and Sino-Russian relations as of now, animal behaviour, even predator ' prey relationships studied in Africa, anthropology, palaeontology, etc. and he does all of this so very beautifully never losing track of the original story of the man eating tiger. It is amazing to note how learned the author and how well researched this book is. The author brings the knowledge out from diversified subjects as they apply to this confrontation between men and tiger.

The book has many tragic events described graphically, but in the end it leaves hope in that the awareness is growing all over the world and that Amur Tigers may survive living in the wild.

I grew up reading very lively and graphic stories of man eating tigers of India written by Jim Corbett and many local Indian hunters. I remember many of those stories and am still able to recall hunters describing the man eating tiger's behaviour. This book either endorsed those viewpoints or expanded my knowledge on tiger behaviour especially after it becomes a man eater.

When I received my book from Amazon.ca, its thickness and page appearances discouraged me for I am a slow reader. How am I ever going to finish this voluminous book I said to myself. But lo and behold, I completed in two days. This shows how interesting and intense this book is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another reason to love Canada, Oct. 31 2010
Ron Prickett - See all my reviews
Although this book is called "Tiger" and is "kinda" about a rogue tiger hunting down humans....to me it home about the ongoing tragic life of people in other countries, like Russsia where this story is centered. I think the story of this tiger is a metaphor for the life of some ordinary Russians since Peristroka. I thank John for doing a brilliant job in researching this book and giving us a glimpse into the life of ordinary Russians who live far from the glamour and glitter of Moscow and all the political nonsense that that entails. Great read, I feel very sorry for the depth of despair. Having a democracy has not led to a life that we enjoy in Canada. I would not be suprised if another authoritarian government takes over in Russia just so the people can get a chance at some kind of peaceful, happy life without hunger. And yes, "Leave the tigers alone China!"...."All that talk of tiger parts making you virile is nonsense!"..."It is the rats' testicles that make the difference!".(Readers help me spread the rumour save a rhino or black bear as well!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Predation, Oct. 26 2010
"The Tiger" is a wonderful piece of non-fiction which reads like a best-selling thriller novel. The writing is clear and concise. A theme winds through the book, raising tension by fear and awe in an exotic locale. John Vaillant tells us the story one Great Tiger while examining the places of tiger and man in the universe. With superior writing skill, Vaillant tells of the ancient relationship of human-tiger predation, thoroughly describing the hunter on either side of the equation and showing us how each behaves in one of Earth's last vast primitive areas. The supporting science and history are made pertinent and interesting by Vaillant's skill and by the omnipresent shadow of sudden death in his story. Well done, Sir!

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, Jan. 19 2012
This review is from: The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival (Paperback)
Not exactly a cozy read. It's a mental journey into a primitive world that has faded from most of our collective imaginations, that speaks of the dogged survival of species, our own included. It is so haunting that I feel as if I have permanently left a part of myself treading quietly through a snow-filled forest with my gun muttering, "If I leave her alone, she will leave me alone." "She" is the pronoun commonly used by the locals to describe the tigers in general. Above all in my reading matter, I want to be intrigued, but I so rarely find that quality. This book intrigued me from beginning to end with such a massive backdrop of information about tigers, Russian history, the amazing geographical area, mythology, man's origins as a hunter (or more commonly a scavenger?) that you have plenty of context surrounding the violent incidents at the heart of the book. The end was a climactic nail-biter and I felt as if I was with those guys every step of the way. My mental boots still have the snow on them.

It's more of an "experience" than merely a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Enthralling, Jan. 10 2011
I loved this book and thank John Vaillant for writing it. I loved the historical Russian perspective also because Russia has always fascinated me. The descriptive events made me feel like I was there, traipsing in the middle of the forest, and I could actually feel the hot breath of the tiger at one point. Even though I was instilled with fear of the Tiger I did not lose my respect and appreciation of its beauty and its necessity here on earth. I will read this book "again" some day.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has it all - the strangeness of truth trumps fiction every time, Oct. 23 2011
E. Aucoin (Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
You don't have to be an environmentalist, an animal lover or a historian, although any of these may enjoy this book, but it's superbly written and a suspenseful mystery as well as great armchair travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, powerful and engaging, Feb. 14 2012
Andrea Maenza (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
If you like detail, and context, and if enjoy history, science, politics, culture, geography, zoology and everything in between, then you'll like this book. Some have crticized the incredible detail and diversions characteristic of this book, but I think they only enhance the story. If you want a short, shocking, graphic story of a mad tiger, this isn't for you. But do check it out if you want to meet several interesting people and learn about a place most of us will never see for ourselves. Fascinating!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Dec 12 2012
Amazing story, well written. In addition to a story about the Siberian Tiger, gives a wonderful description of the nature of the Taiga area of Russia, and the politics that harm even these far reaching areas. Makes me want to visit before people ruin this region too!

5.0 out of 5 stars people and tigers you'll never forget, March 13 2012
Brian Griffith (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vaillant combines a hair-raising account of hunting a man-eating tiger with a whole universe of surrounding context -- on the harsh realities of modern Russia, the primordial paths of human evolution, the global history of cats, the driving forces of East Asian economics, and the ecological riches of Siberia. The portraits of real Siberian people are written with passionate respect. The tigers become individuals you can't forget. The whole thing is a marvelous testimony to the challenge and necessity for humans and the planet's other glorious creatures to find the means of co-existing. Absolutely fantastic depth reporting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent writing, excellent book, Nov. 15 2011
Richard Eichenauer (Arrow Lakes, British Columbia) - See all my reviews
Suhail Ahmad's review is by far the best, most comprehensive review of this fine book. I made several copies of pages 236-237 to send them to friends, re. how we humans learned to read: by reading animal tracks (what he calls "Proto-Alphabets) in order to procure food - one of these side-thoughts that make the reading of this author so valuable and fascinating. Thank you John Vaillant!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival
The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant (Paperback - May 3 2011)
CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 15.88