4.0 out of 5 stars sad novels, I decided to try something a bit ...
Published 1 month ago by Asia Henderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I have read many of Miriam "s books with much pleasure, however found this one quite strange.
Published 1 month ago by Ina Mensink

4.0 out of 5 stars sad novels, I decided to try something a bit ..., July 26 2014
This review is from: The Flying Troutmans (Paperback)
After reading quite a few intense, sad novels, I decided to try something a bit lighter and an easier read. Having read "A Complicated Kindness" a few years back I remember really liking Toews style of writing so I gave this one a shot (I bought it used from a library for 2$!). I flew through this book. It was so relatable and the words just ran together so nicely it was hard to put down. The plot had a steady growth and the character development was phenomenal, especially with Logan. I loved all the flashback stories Hattie would talk about, really showed the essence of a dysfunctional but loving sister relationship. Thebes was definitely my favourite and I think a lot of young girls could relate to her quirkiness and eccentric self. The cover makes it look like a children's book but I think anyone preteen and up could enjoy it. The only thing I didn't like was how it ended, I felt like it left me wanting more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Flying Troutmans' Book Club selection, June 24 2009
This review is from: The Flying Troutmans (Hardcover)
Our club selected this book. The rich character development and poignancy of the story appealed to all of us. We fell in love with Logan and Thebes and wished the story could've continued to find out more about their lives...a very enjoyable and humorous read for the summer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, funny, with warning, April 27 2013
Stephen Soule "wandering Steve" (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
A riff on Kerouac, sort of. But hilarious and more sober. Skates close enough to madness and death to maybe be a problem for some, but positive in its way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, funny...REAL!, Jan. 4 2013
Noreen Janzen - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Flying Troutmans (Hardcover)
LOVE this book! Toews is a brilliant thinker and writer. The dialogue, the way those kids talk...SO real! (Although Thebes is way smarter than I was at 11 yrs old...) The protagonist Hattie sometimes made me mad - her carelessness with the niece and nephew under her watch - except that it was obvious she cared SO MUCH and was doing the best she could. (Like some people I know and love.) I found it quite suspenseful...what will she decide to do with the kids in the end? And I like how the absence of quotation marks makes everything flow more naturally. In my mind as good a book as A Complicated Kindness...

4.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful Toews book, April 16 2012
Sarah Rogers (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Flying Troutmans (Paperback)
For me, Miriam Toews can do no wrong and she has done it again here. Wonderful prose, filled with wit and endearing characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 23 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Understatement, Nov. 30 2008
Graham Butler (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Flying Troutmans (Hardcover)
Toews just has a knack for writing kid characters that are hard to not relate to. She has them down to the melodramatic poetry they scribble into notebooks and it's simply incredible just how much growing up she can stuff into them without losing that sense of childhood.

She's a master of tragic, dark comedy and I'm so happy that she moved away from her Mennonite subject matter to tackle something new.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Book I Enjoyed, Nov. 29 2008
MacFly (Regina, Saskatchewan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Flying Troutmans (Hardcover)
A couple of years ago, I tried to read A Complicated Kindness by Mariam Towes. I didn't enjoy it and it is one of a very few books that I did not finish. Many people who enjoy similar books to me loved A Complicated Kindness and I always wondered if I gave up on it too easily. Flash forward to today and I thought I would try again with her next novel, The Flying Troutmans. I'm sad to say that although I finished this book, I did not enjoy it. I did not find the characters likable, I wasn't a fan of the writing style and I didn't enjoy the story. There will be many who will love this book but I, a die-hard fan of Canadian authors, did not.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Quirky, Canadian Read, Dec 23 2011
Lydia - Novel Escapes (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Flying Troutmans (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this novel with its quirky sense of humour and unique characters and don't think I've read anything quite like it. The story was simple and often sad, yet the characters were rich with history and flaws which kept this story alive and the children leapt off the page as if they were real.

It was a satisfying tale of the bond of family ties and it was the relationship between an aunt and her niece and nephew that kept me fascinated. My niece turned eight months old while I was reading this tale and I could relate to Hattie's return to help her sister and her kids as I'm pretty sure there is nothing I wouldn't do for my little niece or my brother and fabulous sister in law.

My Review Partner's point about an epilogue is interesting. On the one hand, I would have liked to know what happened sometime down the road in their lives, but on the other hand, I like to have my own ideas of what their future held. I guess it depends on your preference, whether you will be satisfied with the ending, but it definitely doesn't all wrap up quite so neatly which is par for the entire novel.

Overall, if you want a quirky, Canadian read, this one fits the bill!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Read, Aug. 8 2011
This review is from: The Flying Troutmans (Paperback)
I went on a road trip and took the audio book out of the library. I didn't get a chance to finish the book on my trip, but I was hooked! I had to go and buy it for myself. The paperback version did not disappoint! I fell in love with the characters from the very start. It is my favorite Toews book so far! I love her writing style. I find it very refreshing, I understand that it's not for everyone, but so far I've read everything by her and have yet to be disappointed.

The Flying Troutmans
The Flying Troutmans by Miriam Toews (Paperback - June 2 2009)
CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 15.88