Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on January 5, 2011
It has all been said, so I'll just agree with those who say there are too many characters going nowhere, too much detail about nothing and not enough story. It reminded me of certain high school english novels that I had to battle my way through in order to get the grade. Happily, I didn't have to disect every chapter of this one! Sad, really. I thought it was going to be great!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2010
This book began with an interesting premis and a promising array of characters but quickly dissolved into a bland and dragging narrative digressing about imaginary pottery and minute scenic details. I really had to force myself to finish this novel, I kept hoping something interesting would happen. There were soo many characters and not enough details to really get to know any of them, not to mention the 20 year timespan which focused on historic events and only barely connected them to the story; this book was a bit too ambitious perhaps. Another oddity about this book was it's continuous sexual undertones, I'm not a prude but it was a very odd mix of dry history and sexual encounters, especially when you don't know or care for the characters. After reading this book I re-read the summary on the book jacket and realized that it described nothing in particualr, which is what this book is ultimately about: nothing.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse