5.0 out of 5 stars AN ERUDITE, WITTY DISCUSSION OF FOOD
Published on Nov. 23 2011 by Gail Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not what I was expecting
I've been doing a lot of study towards food security, and attitudes toward food. I was expecting this to be more of a narrative about food attitudes, instead it was more of a history. Still a good read, interesting and well written; just not what I had been expecting/hoping for.
Published 12 months ago by Unimpressed

5.0 out of 5 stars AN ERUDITE, WITTY DISCUSSION OF FOOD, Nov. 23 2011
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Table Comes First: Family, France and the Meaning of Food (Hardcover)
You eat, I eat, we all eat, and most of us enjoy food. Some of us love it, but few think about it philosophically, which is precisely what The New Yorker writer Adam Gopnik gives us an opportunity to do with The Table Comes First. For this reader Gopnik is an erudite, witty, entertaining essayist and he exercises those talents to their fullest with his book subtitled "Family, France, and the Meaning of Food."

The intriguing title stems from a quote by the British chef Fergus Henderson. Shortly after the bombings of London Henderson is apparently confounded by young couples who were buying television sets or sofas. He says, I don't understand, don't they know the table comes first?" It surely does for Gopnik who is near to eulogizing an entree, a dessert, a cut of meat.

Dividing his book into four sections Gopnik begins his discussion with a history of the restaurant beginning in eighteenth century France. While it is accepted that the French Revolution was close to ruinous for the arts, a gastronome of the time wrote "...that was not the case with cooking, far from having suffered as a result, it has the Revolution to thank for its rapid progress and motive force."

Part Two, "Choosing at the Table" examines our choices of food whether from a restaurant menu or in a market planning meal at home. "Talking at the Table" is the heading of Part Three, and consists of such intriguing topics as "What Do We Imagine When We Imagine Food?" and "What Do We Write About When We Write About Food?" The concluding section's focus is Leaving the Table as well as a few notes on cooking. One of my favorites is "Cooking is the faith that raw ingredients can be conjured into a nightly miracle."

The Table Comes First is a must for gourmets, gourmands, foodies - in short it's a delight. Gopnik is a highly intellectual writer who writes with a light touch - a very satisfying combination.

- Gail Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not what I was expecting, Dec 14 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A Brave Attempt, Oct. 31 2013
Donald McKenzie (Winnipeg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The Table Comes First: Family, France and the Meaning of Food

From the back cover of Adam Gopnik's The Table Comes First: Family, France and the Meaning of Food.

Never before have we cared so much about food. It preoccupies our popular culture, our fantasies, and even our moralizing.

Adam Gopnik's the Table Comes FirstWhat is the meaning of food? Increasingly writers are attempting to wrestle with this question. A couple of the more interesting entries in this area are: Geneen Roth's, Women, Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything, attempts to show that how women eat provides a reflection on most of their views on life. Gabrielle Hamilton's, Blood, Bones & Butter, The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef, traces the way food has played a dominant part in her life and relationships, long before she ended up a restaurant owner.

Towards the top of this list should be Adam Gopnik's The Table Comes First: Family, France, and the Meaning of Food. Gopnik opens his book with a letter written by Jacques Decour, a member of the French Resistance, executed by the Germans in 1942. The letter, though short, is loaded with references to meals and the significance they have held in Decour's life.

In many ways the rest of the book consists of Gopnik's efforts to find the same significance in the meals he eats. The title for the book shows up later in the first chapter when an indignant chef bemoans the fact that too many young couples put their focus on sofas and TVs. "Don't they know the table comes first?" he asks.

Gopnik then proceeds to take his readers through the development of our modern eating habits by examining the development of the restaurant and the cookbook. Despite the somber tone that the book opened with, this unpacking of these two developments is lively and entertaining.

Along the way the reader is introduced to many of the key figures of the modern culinary movement such as Brillat-Savarin (whose last name I unfortunately associate with a line of rather poor frozen TV dinners). We are also introduced to the remarkable Elizabeth Pennell, who will serve as rhetorical foil to Gopnik throughout the book. Pennell might be described as the first superstar female foodie, and Gopnik's interaction with her writings gives the reader a personalized history lesson on how our relationships with food have been transformed over the last three two centuries.

Throughout Gopnik also lets in on the relationship he shares with his family, and the way that food informs that relationship and vice-versa. This is all part of what appears to be the larger attempt of the book, which as I read it, is to find a grand meaning for life in food.
Not Quite There:

In the end, Gopnik doesn't quite make it work. His last email to Elizabeth Pennell seems to suggest that food can't overcome the feeling of loss when loved ones die, there is still an emptiness. At best he hopes that the fellowship of the table is one that may one day be shared beyond the grave, but he is not hopeful.

On the whole, The Table Comes First, does present one of the most cogent and holistic pictures of the role that food plays in our relationships. On top of that it is a lively and entertaining read. This book is one that should be on your food library shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delectable read, Jan. 2 2013
Vlad Thelad (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If I were to narrow down to one single reason why I enjoyed this book so much, it would be that I care about food every bit as much as the author does. I would not speculate on how broad an audience we that feel this way might be, however, if food matters to you, this book is for you. Gopnik plunges into philosophical, historical, cultural, ideological and culinary arguments, and being the bright essayist he is, comes up with articulate, well-written, intellectually sound statements, the kind that I would gladly discuss over dinner. This is a highly recommendable book.

The Table Comes First: Family, France and the Meaning of Food
The Table Comes First: Family, France and the Meaning of Food by Adam Gopnik (Hardcover - Oct. 25 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.82