5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Jann: Candid, Poignant, and Funny
Published on Jan. 27 2012 by Debra Purdy Kong

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I love Jann Arden. Her music, seeing her play live. She's amazing. But this book is not well written in my opinion. I was disappointed and wished I hadn't spent my limited $$ on it.
Published 15 months ago by Kris Strauss

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Jann: Candid, Poignant, and Funny, Jan. 27 2012
Debra Purdy Kong (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
A long time ago, I read that the more personal you are, the more universal you are. I always thought these words referred to essays and poetry, but I've just learned how well they apply to memoirs, too. Falling Backwards covers Jann Arden's earliest childhood memories, her school life, and the desire to write and play music, those inevitable young adult struggles and, finally, her first recording contract.

I have to be honest and say that I'm a big fan of Jann Arden's music, which is why I received this book for Christmas, plus her latest CD, and a ticket to an upcoming concert. So, if you think I'm biased when I say that I loved this book, I understand.

The book's appeal isn't merely because of its author, though. Jann's voice is strong, authentic, and candid. She talks about some truly uncomfortable experiences in her life that most of us wouldn't share with friends and family, let alone strangers. Secondly, her writing style is terrific: straightforward, fluid, poignant, funny. She has an ear for the rhythm of the written word, which is hardly a surprise given how much time she put in learning to write songs.

Although our childhoods were quite different, (she from the Alberta countryside and me from the Vancouver suburbs), she had experiences I could relate to so closely that it was weird. Here's one: at her parents' first parent-teacher meeting in grade one, Jann's teacher told her folks that Jann "could very well be somewhat retarded". My teacher told my parents that there was something wrong with me because I cut the legs off the picture of the lamb I'd drawn . . . That was the 60's for you. Obviously, many of her memories triggered memories of my own, but maybe that's what great memoirs do. Still, as Jann says, "It's okay to look in the rear-view mirror now and then, but I don't want to stare." Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, Nov. 21 2011
Jann's first two books (which are also hilarious) where about her struggle through her adult life. This is the first time she really tackles her sometimes funny, sometimes sad, childhood. Anyone that would like to know what shaped this wonderful woman will get a lot from Falling Backwards. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, May 24 2014
Ce commentaire est de: Falling Backwards: A Memoir (Paperback)
Simply put, I loved this book! Loved reading about her childhood and how she got her first record deal along with everything in between. Laughed out loud while reading this book and was teary at the end. Can't say there was anything I disliked about this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta Love Jann, Oct. 16 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Great book and SUPER fast affordable shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars love me some jann arden, Nov. 15 2011
I am reading Jann's book and unlike the previous review have enjoyed the recollections of her childhood very much, I find the book very funny,expecially the hotdog in the thermos, and could also relate to the stories of the underlying tensions in her homelife. Maybe at some point she will write about her rise in the music industry,but I think this book was a great jumping off point, if you were raised in the 70's don't miss this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars such a wonderful read, Nov. 7 2012
Kate Kenton (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I love, love, love this book. I enjoyed Jann's other books too, but this one is so amazingly open that it touched me deeply, and also made me realize I am not alone when it comes to some of my own childhood experiences. I am purchasing copies of this book for all of my girlfriends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spending Time with Jann, March 20 2012
Hilarious one minute, horrifying the next. A delightful, easy read. Makes me want to write my own life story, because she shows how the ordinary things count. I will seek out her other books. Well done, Jann.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life, Jan. 13 2012
I would like to thank Jann Arden for letting me share some of her most private and intimate, family and personal moments....

As always an entertaining reading experience....

I am a BIG fan and was NOT disappointed....!!!

Great Christmas gift from my sister...

5.0 out of 5 stars Falling Backwards to the front of your bookshelf!! a must read., Jan. 11 2012
I am a Jann Arden Music fan, and live in Alberta. I have seen Jann interviewed many times on TV, and have always appreciated her authenticity, and her sense of humour. In her book Falling Backwards, Jann's humour had me in stitches laughing. Her honesty, openness and deep look into life issues and growing up was refreshing. This book is a beautifully written and authentically moving book. Thank you Jann, for sharing yourself with us!

Charmaine Hammond,
Bestselling author On Toby's Terms

4.0 out of 5 stars Jann is the girl next door., Jan. 5 2012
Falling Backwards: A Memoir Jann writes like she's sitting in your kitchen visiting over a coffee. No doubt most readers will already be fans so Jann's sincerity and candor will only endear her further. Anyone who has even the slightest doubt about her being completely down to earth and genuine should definitely read this. She'll be family when you're done.

Falling Backwards: A Memoir
Falling Backwards: A Memoir by Jann Arden (Paperback - Feb. 21 2012)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16