4.0 out of 5 stars strange but interesting
Published 19 months ago by Barbara W Simone

2.0 out of 5 stars What was the point?
If Mr Johnson was trying to use up his store of puns and word plays, I would say he did that.
The writing is good, and the word plays were mostly fun, but they appeared in bunches, and with different characters, as if he couldn't decide who would carry that characteristic.
Worse, the story was without hope.
Then, at the end, I think Mr. Johnson thought he...
Published 19 months ago by Anita Flegg

4.0 out of 5 stars strange but interesting, Jan. 28 2013
This review is from: A World Elsewhere (Paperback)
Wayne Johnston obviously delights in playing with words, and that is a pleasure for the reader as well. As in his previous novels, he likes to take a real-life event and build a fictionalized story around it. His characters are so exaggerated that they are fascinating. The other side of the coin though, is that the work is so intense that I found I needed to take a break from it now and then. I have another book by Johnston, but feel that I don't want to start it for a few months because my mind needs a rest and a complete change of style.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like Johnston, you will enjoy this book., July 22 2013
This review is from: A World Elsewhere (Paperback)
Classic Johnston humour with wonderful play on words. Well developped characters that give us food for thought. Enjoyed it very much.

Lucie Lacroix

2.0 out of 5 stars What was the point?, Jan. 18 2013
Anita Flegg (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A World Elsewhere (Paperback)
Worse, the story was without hope.
Then, at the end, I think Mr. Johnson thought he might like to have it made into a movie, so he threw in a Hollywood ending. Very disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, Jan. 21 2012
This review is from: A World Elsewhere (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of Wayne Johnston and have read all his books to immense enjoyment. This novel disappointed me on many levels. The plot twists were unbelievable and even though Deacon, the child, held my interest, the other characters were unattractive in the extreme. Also Wayne seemed to borrow extensively from Jessica Grant and her marvellous debut novel "Come Thou Tortoise" with his exhausting plays on words. I finished the book in the hope there would be some redemption for me, the reader, but the ending was farcical and out of place in the literary ambition of the whole. You can do far, far better than this, Wayne.

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging but falls short of greatness, Oct. 7 2011
Rodge (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A World Elsewhere (Hardcover)
I've previously read "The Navigator of New York" and liked it - I read "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams" and didn't care so much for that one. This novel falls somewhere in between those. At first, the characters merely annoyed me and made me wonder why I was supposed to stick with them through the novel. By the time we get to Vanderland in the final half, though, things are ticking along and the engagement is up. The plot twists at the end seemed improbable and a little ridiculous but otherwise this novel is fine. It has literary touches that let you know you're dealing with a writer who has real ability, but in this case has written a merely good novel.

A World Elsewhere
A World Elsewhere by Wayne Johnston (Hardcover - Aug. 9 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.52