biss boutiques-francophones Learn more vd2016beauty Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on January 28, 2013
Wayne Johnston obviously delights in playing with words, and that is a pleasure for the reader as well. As in his previous novels, he likes to take a real-life event and build a fictionalized story around it. His characters are so exaggerated that they are fascinating. The other side of the coin though, is that the work is so intense that I found I needed to take a break from it now and then. I have another book by Johnston, but feel that I don't want to start it for a few months because my mind needs a rest and a complete change of style.
on July 22, 2013
Classic Johnston humour with wonderful play on words. Well developped characters that give us food for thought. Enjoyed it very much.

Lucie Lacroix
TOP 100 REVIEWERon October 7, 2011
I've previously read "The Navigator of New York" and liked it - I read "The Colony of Unrequited Dreams" and didn't care so much for that one. This novel falls somewhere in between those. At first, the characters merely annoyed me and made me wonder why I was supposed to stick with them through the novel. By the time we get to Vanderland in the final half, though, things are ticking along and the engagement is up. The plot twists at the end seemed improbable and a little ridiculous but otherwise this novel is fine. It has literary touches that let you know you're dealing with a writer who has real ability, but in this case has written a merely good novel.
0Comment9 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse