biss boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on May 28, 2015
I picked this book up based on my appreciation of Eugenides previous work. However, this effort is an epic fail. By page 44 I had some serious doubts. At page 66 I felt like I was trying to wade through mud. At page 100 I threw the book in the garbage... normally I resell books but I actually don't want anyone else to suffer as I did.
Mostly this is Eugenides showing off his obscure literary supremacy. Boring, self-important, bland characters. Save your money and if you get a copy of this for free, then know that the gifter hates you.
on December 19, 2011
The writing is unadventurous.

It is practically the same novel as Franzens Freedom, which was very poor.

You do not come away from this novel any better as a person, which is what good fiction does.

The worst part is that its just an average novel that some decent and dedicated amateur would write, but we are being told by critics that it is amazing.

Infuriating.
0Comment3 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse