march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on May 28, 2015
I picked this book up based on my appreciation of Eugenides previous work. However, this effort is an epic fail. By page 44 I had some serious doubts. At page 66 I felt like I was trying to wade through mud. At page 100 I threw the book in the garbage... normally I resell books but I actually don't want anyone else to suffer as I did.
Mostly this is Eugenides showing off his obscure literary supremacy. Boring, self-important, bland characters. Save your money and if you get a copy of this for free, then know that the gifter hates you.
on December 19, 2011
The writing is unadventurous.

It is practically the same novel as Franzens Freedom, which was very poor.

You do not come away from this novel any better as a person, which is what good fiction does.

The worst part is that its just an average novel that some decent and dedicated amateur would write, but we are being told by critics that it is amazing.

Infuriating.