5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for those you know or if you are getting a puppy
I found the training part of the book great and can see how knowing how to set rules and boundaries even with young puppies (like their dog mother does) will help develop a great dog.

Published on Dec 16 2009 by Louise Larabie

2.0 out of 5 stars No a how to
Ok book but not what I was looking for. I want quick and dirty rules and techniques and this book does not help. Nice story about Ceasar bringing up some puppies but please just give me what I need to know and forget the fluff.
Published on Nov. 25 2011 by William O. Haflidson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for those you know or if you are getting a puppy, Dec 16 2009
Louise Larabie (Arnprior, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews

I am giving my daughter a copy even though she does not at this time have a puppy because she has all his other books and tapes and will add to her collection, there is still lots of good new information in the book that I found interesting.

I have recommended this book to a person that is shopping for a puppy as I believe it will help her prevent the biggest mistakes that people can do picking out a puppy. That is matching the energy level of the dog with their own energy. IF you are laid back do not get one of the high energy dogs like a border collie or GSD for instance as they need to be matched with people that are out there working with them or doing a lot of high energy activities with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book and Tool, June 27 2011
This review is from: How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond (Paperback)
I breed Golden retrievers and I provide this book for all of my puppy families. This book is clear, concise and easy to understand, even better, easy to apply. Cesar helps my families understand their new baby and its needs. Cesar explains things and techniques in an understandable way allowing all my families to benefit from the book. Whether the family has had dogs before or have never had a dog before they are much better prepared for their bundle of joy, fur and fun! I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Before you get your puppy,..get this book!!, May 19 2011
I ordered this book because my husband and I are about to get 'our' very first dog. Our breeder suggested to us that we should buy it and read it before we get our puppy. I'm sooooo glad we did. I thought I knew a fair bit about dogs(I use to work at 2 different Animal Hospitals) but after reading this book. I was amazed at how little I knew. No wonder so many people have probelms with their dogs.
This book doesn't talk very much about training technics you can use our your dog, it's more about understanding a dogs mind, and then how to use that to teach your dog. Cesar talks a lot about your energy level and how it effects the dogs mood and behaviour. Also about picking the right energy level type dog to match your energy level. He also tells you how to completely avoid problems that are most common complaint with dog owners, by using certain tools to proactively keep your pup from even starting bad habbits.
Most people just see a breed they think is nice looking, and get it without educating themselves on what the breeds personality is like, their energy levels, and health issues. This is one of the reasons why there are so many dogs in shelters, or put down every year.
Find the right dog for YOU!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Dec 5 2012
I really loved this book. I will be getting my new puppy in January. I have already started to read it a second time. I also ordered the Puppy deck cards and I know they will come in handy for quick reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely loved it! I even cried when I finished it, Nov. 17 2014
I absolutely loved it ! I even cried when I finished it ! It is well written you don't want to finish it ! I absolutly love Cesar way, I wish it would have been longer and maybe had a bit more explanation step by step for some of the instruction ! I have a little puppy and I bought this book before I got him ! I'm really happy to have read it before, it has give me a lot of insight on how to raise him the right way !

2.0 out of 5 stars No a how to, Nov. 25 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite puppy training book, Aug. 20 2014
My favorite puppy training book, this is the book to buy before you actually choose your puppy. Cesar takes you through choosing a dog that matches the right energy level for your lifestyle, how to bring out the best in any breed, and has some great info for the first couple of months you spend with your new puppy. Loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, June 21 2014
This is a great book! Lots of info for dog owners and great tips for puppy parents! Cesar Millan has an easy-to-read writing style

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, May 23 2014
good little book that provides a insight into puppy training. helps you understand the basics a bit better and helps you better understand the needs of your puppy (used in addition to basic puppy training sessions).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book....wow, Feb. 5 2014
I'm happy I got Cesar's books, I'm a newbie with dogs and this book came in very handy. It simplifies training and above all understanding your pets behaviour and my role as a pack leader. I recommend to all new owner with a lovely puppy :)

How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond
How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond by Melissa Jo Peltier (Paperback - Sept. 14 2010)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27