5.0 out of 5 stars Before you get your puppy,..get this book!!
Published on May 19 2011 by Crystal

3.0 out of 5 stars There are some good tips in here
Published 4 months ago by Lizard

5.0 out of 5 stars Before you get your puppy,..get this book!!, May 19 2011
This review is from: How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond (Paperback)
I ordered this book because my husband and I are about to get 'our' very first dog. Our breeder suggested to us that we should buy it and read it before we get our puppy. I'm sooooo glad we did. I thought I knew a fair bit about dogs(I use to work at 2 different Animal Hospitals) but after reading this book. I was amazed at how little I knew. No wonder so many people have probelms with their dogs.
This book doesn't talk very much about training technics you can use our your dog, it's more about understanding a dogs mind, and then how to use that to teach your dog. Cesar talks a lot about your energy level and how it effects the dogs mood and behaviour. Also about picking the right energy level type dog to match your energy level. He also tells you how to completely avoid problems that are most common complaint with dog owners, by using certain tools to proactively keep your pup from even starting bad habbits.
Most people just see a breed they think is nice looking, and get it without educating themselves on what the breeds personality is like, their energy levels, and health issues. This is one of the reasons why there are so many dogs in shelters, or put down every year.
Find the right dog for YOU!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book and Tool, June 27 2011
I breed Golden retrievers and I provide this book for all of my puppy families. This book is clear, concise and easy to understand, even better, easy to apply. Cesar helps my families understand their new baby and its needs. Cesar explains things and techniques in an understandable way allowing all my families to benefit from the book. Whether the family has had dogs before or have never had a dog before they are much better prepared for their bundle of joy, fur and fun! I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for those you know or if you are getting a puppy, Dec 16 2009
Louise Larabie (Arnprior, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
I found the training part of the book great and can see how knowing how to set rules and boundaries even with young puppies (like their dog mother does) will help develop a great dog.

I am giving my daughter a copy even though she does not at this time have a puppy because she has all his other books and tapes and will add to her collection, there is still lots of good new information in the book that I found interesting.

I have recommended this book to a person that is shopping for a puppy as I believe it will help her prevent the biggest mistakes that people can do picking out a puppy. That is matching the energy level of the dog with their own energy. IF you are laid back do not get one of the high energy dogs like a border collie or GSD for instance as they need to be matched with people that are out there working with them or doing a lot of high energy activities with them.

3.0 out of 5 stars There are some good tips in here, Dec 30 2014
Lizard (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
There are some good tips in here, but overall I was a little dissapointed. In many sections I felt practical information was lacking...a lot of it is about attitude, but I didn't feel that that was enough, some more practical advice is needed for many things. I also felt that there was quite a bit of filler. Cesar uses the stories of several dogs as a backdrop to his advice which in principle is a good idea, but in reality made me feel like there was too much story telling that did not necessarily add to the book. If all the practical advice given in the book were boiled down it wouldn't make for a book, so it feels like there is a lot of filler to make it into a book. I found myself skimming a lot and when I looked up sections for specific problems like whining etc, I found myself a little dissapointed with lack of information. I didn't give it a lower star rating because I do think that the attitude described by Cesar is helpful and it's not a terrible book, but just somewhat dissapointing. Incidentally, Cesar gets a bad rap in some circles for his dominance theory, but there is nothing hurtful or violent or agressive recommended for puppies. I think the techniques that he gets a bad rap for are those he uses for adult dogs with sever behavioural issues and there is obviously no need to use them on a puppy and he does not suggest we do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, extremely helpful advice. Note that every dog is different!, May 25 2015
We're on Day 3 of puppy ownership (poodle/schnauzer mix). This book has been absolutely helpful in understanding what's happening in our 8-week old little guy's head and how to motivate him and housebreak him. Crate training is absolutely essential. Ceasar's advice for introducing the puppy to the crate worked beautifully. Having a safe place the first 2 nights was a saving grace. Note that all the advice didn't necessarily apply to him -- each dog is different. Our breeder already accustomed him to sleeping through the night without needing to pee and he can hold it for several hours. However the feeding and bathroom schedule have been very helpful. Definitely recommend this (and taking a few days off work) to anyone planning on adopting a new family member.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good book but ..., Jan. 17 2015
Goyo (Chelsea, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
I found this book very informative, shedding light (pun intended) on what motivates these little gifts to the world and how to be what they need you to be. Where I found the book a little disappointing was in the details. What do do when you can't calm the pup down. Information on leash training and how it works with house training. Puppies and cold climates. What do do when they aren't eating well. The book touches on many important topics but I would have like less anecdotes and more what ifs. Yes it's no surprise that Cesar can get a puppy to do almost anything, but what if your me a first time daddy and you don't have success right out of the gate (pun intended)?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Dec 5 2012
I really loved this book. I will be getting my new puppy in January. I have already started to read it a second time. I also ordered the Puppy deck cards and I know they will come in handy for quick reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely loved it! I even cried when I finished it, Nov. 17 2014
I absolutely loved it ! I even cried when I finished it ! It is well written you don't want to finish it ! I absolutly love Cesar way, I wish it would have been longer and maybe had a bit more explanation step by step for some of the instruction ! I have a little puppy and I bought this book before I got him ! I'm really happy to have read it before, it has give me a lot of insight on how to raise him the right way !

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite puppy training book, Aug. 20 2014
My favorite puppy training book, this is the book to buy before you actually choose your puppy. Cesar takes you through choosing a dog that matches the right energy level for your lifestyle, how to bring out the best in any breed, and has some great info for the first couple of months you spend with your new puppy. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, Feb. 21 2013
This book was great! I had not seen any dog whisperer shows, but was so impressed with the book that I am now checking them out. Good advice on selecting the correct puppy and how to influence the dog right from the start. I just wish I had read it before we brought our puppy home, rather than a few weeks in!

How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond
How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond by Melissa Jo Peltier (Paperback - Sept. 14 2010)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27