Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." -- Jeremiah 29:11 (NKJV)

Many of us can imagine that our bodies aren't much affected by our brains, and the reverse. Dr. Amen explains bodily processes that link the brain to the body and demonstrates with SPECT (single proton emission computerized tomography) images and individual case histories how replacing unhealthy with healthier influences on the brain also create improved body health. Here's an example: If enough blood doesn't get to the brain, you can't think as well as you otherwise might because you lack oxygen and nourishment. That same problem can mean you have circulatory problems that will undermine your health. Improve blood flow to the brain and a lot of valuable body processes will operate better that will improve your circulation and so on.

The book mostly focuses on weight control, appearance, health, stress reduction, sleep disorders, and depression.

Dr. Amen goes on to describe how his clinics operate and to characterize patterns of symptoms that can be related to malnourishment or bad habits. The book also offers a self-diagnostic test (and a longer online version) that can suggest whether you have opportunities to improve. In my case, I thought the diagnosis was pretty accurate . . . but I already knew what to do before reading the book. My problem is that I need to change my habits. While I feel more motivated to change after reading this book, only time will tell if I will make the simple changes that are recommended. How the book helped was giving me medical reasons why shifting would help. My physicians have recommended the same changes in the past, but they never explained why those changes would help my brain functioning along with the rest of my health. So there's new food for thought here (lol)!

I thought enough of the book to forward the test to some people who seem to have nutritional issues based on patterns of the symptoms the book describes.

There's an aspect to the book that seems a little like a pitch to use their services and buy their supplements. I could have done without that aspect. It undermined my confidence in the book's objectivity.
on July 17, 2013
I found this book fairly hard to even get through the first few pages let alone the whole thing. I still have not read it through. I have been told that if you can get through it, it's a great guideline.
on October 21, 2010
on February 9, 2011
I received my book and am very pleased with it. There is a lot of info covered in the book and for my older eye I wish the type/font was larger.
The pages are very thin so you need care in reading it, that's what keeps the book size regular.
I look forward to plodding thru it.
many thanks
on April 6, 2015
Fascinating read. I learned so much. Dr. Amen researched all aspects of his book.
on May 18, 2015
It seems that one can truly learn how to eat with this book. Mr Amen has put together an amazing way of making sure there is a way to loose weight, eat well, and eat properly.
on March 24, 2011
A book you should read over and over again. I keep it handy so I can refer to it anytime I feel I need to.
on March 13, 2010
I saw Amen, on PBS the other day. I thought I would check out the book at my local Library. First off, the man looks like he's suffering from malnutrition. Through-out his seminar, you can see him shake and twitch while he talks and walks. Amen preaches that it's ok to eat [complex] carbs but except for his sandwich that he has at lunch time, he doesn't eat hardly any carbs and no starches whatsoever. Amen believes that "everything in moderation" is wrong. He compares cocain and arsenic in his example to support his belief. Saying that according to that example cocaine or arsenic in moderation is ok. That's a fantastic example, don't you think? Besides, there is a bit of arsenic found in mineral water. ;)

Amen's cookbook that he includes has receipes from his wife, that's it. His diet recommendations are not achievable because he wants you to count calories and because his diet lacks most starches like rice and potatoes. It's just not sustainable in the long run.

Another interesting observation about Amen is that he preaches about "brain type" but neglects to mention "body or blood types". Not everyone is suited for a particular diet, regardless of "brain type". Some people with certain body or blood types have to eat more starches and carbs while others need to eat more meat. That's just the way reality. His diet recommendations can leave one's body in a state of acidity when the ideal diet should be one where your body is alkaline. When you're about to die, your body becomes terribly acidic. Amen's diet recommendation throughs your PH balance out of back, for the worst. I know people who did the no or low carb diet and ending up in the emergency room with abdominal pain and bleeding because they followed the diet.

Amen's comment about Vitamin D and how getting enough vitamin D is easily is achievable is false. You can't get sufficent amounts of Vitamin D from your diet or from a pill, your body just doesn't absorb it well. You need exposure to the sun, withOUT screen screen. Again, everything in moderation, but Amen doesn't subscribe to that theory.

Celebrities are endorcing his bood and his plan, like Bill COSBY mean nothing. Heck, Beyone, was endorcing the honey, pepper, and water diet at one time. Amen's diet may work for COSBY and for many people, just like the Atkins diet, it's not for everyone. Remember, Amen lives in California and he's just starting the next diet craze using his experience as a legal drug pusher (psychiatrist)to push sales.

Save your money and take his recommendations with a grain of salt. Amen is nothing more than a business man. Eat foods in moderation and avoid the bad foods as much as possible like refined sugars, high fatty foods, and trans fats. Remember, it's ok to induldge every once in a while because in the long term, you won't be able to maintain his diet recommendations. Otherwise, you'll end up in one of his clinics and be prescribed anxiety and antidepressant medications, which to me, seems to be his real objective here.
on October 8, 2015