5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, but not from start to finish
Published on Jan. 27 2011 by Devin

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak follow up
I'm a big fan of the Four Hour Work Week. Not only was it a great read, but it contained rather unique ideas that caused me to reevaluate how to run my business and also my life. I would go as far to say that it is one of the last decade's seminal pieces of business literature that all serious business people should read.

With that in mind, it's unfortunate...
Published on Dec 22 2010 by darkshadow77

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, but not from start to finish, Jan. 27 2011
Ce commentaire est de: The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman (Hardcover)
I would say that 2/3 of the book really appeals to me, and the other 1/3 does not, and yet I feel like the $24 I spent on this 500 page beast of a book was well worth the price. From reading some reviews and discussion surrounding this book, I've come to realize that a lot of people really seem to hate it and its author Timothy Ferriss. I've seen him being accused of hacking Amazon's rating system (check the article comments on TechCrunch) and it's been said that he's nothing more than a sleazy marketer who knows how to talk up a room. As for the book, there are some people who write it off as being "nothing new" or full of unsubstantiated claims. I'd venture a guess that 99% of those people haven't actually read it. The book does make a lot of bold claims, some which may seem unbelievable (gain 34 pounds of muscle in 28 days by only working out for 60 minutes per week? Yeah, right!) at first, but then become more plausible as you delve deeper into the book.

This is one of those books that has a little bit of something for everybody, and is not intended to be read from front to back. There are sections on how to build muscle, how to lose fat, how to get a 6-pack, and even how to improve your sex life.

I've learned a lot from reading this book, and one of the most important things I've come to realize is that what you eat, and when you eat it, matters a lot more than how many hours you spend on the treadmill. Exercise is obviously important, but ultimately it's all about what you eat. You can go to the gym everyday, run 60 minutes on the treadmill and lift a bunch of weights, but if you go home and eat a bunch of packaged foods and drink a keg of beer, you're going to get fat. Eating the right stuff at the right times throughout the day can really help you out, and help you reach your goals.

Some other things I've learned, had reconfirmed, or changed about my day-to-day life:

- Don't drink calories. Pop, juice and even milk are mostly just empty calories. Drink lots of water, and some green tea and a glass of red wine doesn't hurt.
- Eat carbs, but only after you've just worked out.
- Mixed nuts such as cashews, Brazil nuts, and almonds are great snacks and are full of stuff that is good for you.
- Vegetables are good for you, and should comprise the biggest chunk of your meal. Start with vegetables, then add protein.
- Fish > Chicken > Beef
- Eat a high-protein and carb meal within 30 minutes of finishing your workout.
- Don't eat a lot of dairy products. Cheese and milk might taste good, but they're not all that healthy for you. You can get the calcium and vitamins from nuts and fish instead.

There's a lot of information in this book, and it is actually a bit overwhelming. Anyone who's spent time in the gym or has even a bit of education in human kinetics will probably find a lot of the material is just rehashing things they already know. That being said, Ferriss' gift is that he puts it all in an easy-to-follow framework, with short chapters told through engaging stories. I'd highly recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in their own well-being and actually wants to think about what they eat and how to get the most out of a workout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Logical ideas that actually work, Aug. 12 2011
Ferriss' book is easy to read, well organized and interesting enough that it usually can't be put down before finishing a chapter. So many of his plans seem so simple and yet they work so well. I especially like that Ferriss never tags plans as "his ideas": he observes and listens carefully to others and pounces when he sees something he'd like to test. The book is honest and real with no nonsense rules for losing weight, sleeping and getting stronger. I've been quoting it for weeks, trying to convince everyone I know to eat protein for breakfast.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Cheat Day!, Feb. 20 2011
My husband and I have been on the slow carb diet from 4HB for 3 weeks now and are very much enjoying it. What I love about Timothy Ferriss is that he's taking eating and exercising in a new direction, getting maximum results with the minimum amount of effort. To all the naysayers out there: Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I would like to add that my husband and I love the food we are able to eat; things like a simple steak salad with home-made guacamole, black beans, salsa and cilantro. Mmmmmm..... I can honestly say I have yet to feel deprived on this "diet". I have a hard time thinking of it as a diet as I am very much enjoying the meals and never go hungry. It took a bit of tweaking at first, but Tim isn't kidding when he says have 30 grams of protein within an hour of waking up, and if you're hungry throughout the day eat more beans with each meal. Re-fried organic black beans go great on eggs with a fresh slice of tomato! I thought for sure I'd experience some sort of withdrawal symptoms, at least in the first week, from giving up dessert every day and white sugar in my tea, and not to mention pasta! But to my complete surprise I had no problem with the transition. No cravings! I can only surmise it's because my body is still getting exactly what it needs, as long as I make sure to eat enough at each meal, and not skimp on the protein (or beans!). I think drinking black chai tea helps with the sugar cravings.

I love cheat day, as it's fun to eat chocolate guilt-free, but what we've found is that we don't go as crazy as we thought we would. It's basically our day to have a bowl of pasta, maybe pizza, or yummy Italian sandwich. I'm looking forward to having French Toast later today! But I have to say, I'm already craving a healthy green salad!

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak follow up, Dec 22 2010

With that in mind, it's unfortunate that The Four Hour Body is such a big let down. First, it's not really a book, but rather a series of independent chapters that the author says can be read independently. As such, the book doesn't really flow, and there's no real end goal. Second, I really can't tell who the target audience is, but a lot of the book appears to be geared towards people with very serious athletic ambitions. Want to run marathons, fix previous injuries with plasma injections, or lift more than 3x your weight? Sure, you'll get something out of the book. But the legions of normal people who bought the Four Hour Work Week probably won't.

Another problem I have is that the majority of the links that the author uses in the book appear to be affiliate links where the author makes money when someone purchases an item. Given that I can't seem to find any disclaimer that this is the case, I personally feel like it undercuts the serious message in some of the chapters, especially with the chapter on how to lose weight. How does one know that those supplements aren't being recommended simply to make money off of them? It's a conflict of interest, and it undercuts the message.

The author also has spent a lot of time doing medical experiments on himself, the results of which are used to reinforce some of the ideas in the book. Unfortunately, a experiment with one person is completely useless statistically. All it shows are the results for the author, and nothing else can be inferred from their presentation. In fact, there's one series of data that the author presents, but then spends far more time discussing all the problems with how he did the experiment than the time spent discussing the actual results. If the experiment was so bad, why not revise the methodology, or exclude it completely? It just seems hastily put together.

I was expecting a lot more from this book based on the marketing, the revolutionary ideas in The Four Hour Work Week, and some of the entries on the author's blog. But this book was one of the first books in a long time I started skimming near the end, simply because I was no longer interested in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works! (So far), Feb. 16 2011
David Rivers "Amazon Author" (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Well, one week into using this book with a focus on rapid fat-loss, I am down 5 lbs. That includes one binge day and six strict days. 15 lbs. to go and then I'll be focussing on muscle gain. The book is laid out so you only need to read the chapters necessary to accomplish your own personal goals. 4 chapters for rapid fat loss, a few chapters for rapid muscle gain, more chapters for optimum fitness. Cool concept that works, so I'm recommending it so far. More opinion to come later as I tackle more goals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pareto Principle applied to body hacking, Jan. 11 2011
I recently received this book as a gift (but had been planning to buy it anyway) and am very pleased with it so far.

As has been noted in other reviews, the book is not one that is intended to be read cover to cover. So far, I have implemented just one piece of advice from the book, and that was to eat two tablespoons of almond butter before bed to make waking up easier by combating low blood sugar. As someone who would wake up at 11 am if left to my own devices and still feel tired, I was thrilled with the results! I had an excellent night's sleep and woke more refreshed than I have in years.

Though I have yet to implement them, the chapters on muscle gain make sense for a hard-gainer like myself. The advice is very similar to what is written in Scrawny to Brawny, which I know from experience works for slight-of-build folk.

From my own experience so far, I would say this book does what it states and would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone, Jan. 26 2011
I definitely would recommend this book to anyone wanting to improve themselves physically or at the very least get you thinking to alternatives to the physical zeitgeist that dominates our modern society. To make this short and sweet: Good book, may or may not work for you, won't hurt you at all to try and at the very least it will simulate your mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4-Hour Body is Real, Feb. 28 2011
We can only vouch for the Rapid Fat-Loss portion of this book...so far, and it works and it's extremely doable. Karen lost 3 lbs. in 5 days, David 5 lbs. (David has more to lose!) Now, 15 days after starting, we're 10-12 lbs. lighter. Once we get to our target weight, we'll delve into other sections, like rapid muscle gain or rapid strength gain. This is not the type of book you read from cover to cover, page by page. Read the sections that apply to your goals and read the other sections when needed. It's a BIG book, chock full of information, so knowing you won't need to read the entire thing to get started makes it less daunting. Tim Ferriss is funny, entertaining, and motivational. This purchase was well worth the investment! If I were to nit-pick, a daily/weekly plan, laid out in a calendar style, would make following the Slow-Carb diet much easier. But that's just me being lazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out with the old, Feb. 26 2011
So far the ideas in this book have been very interesting. Ferris challenges you to throw out your old out ideas and misconceptions of what you have to do to improve your body. Very informative and a lot of new ideas and old ideas that need to be looked at differently.

5.0 out of 5 stars it works, Feb. 25 2011
I lost 25lbs in 4 weeks! If you want to lose weight get the book, it also has great workouts to gain muscle and lots of other stuff I haven't even got to yet. For $25 what do you have to lose except the weight

CDN$ 31.00 CDN$ 19.44