5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, almost foolproof recipes
Published 20 months ago by A. Volk

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I like all of her books but this one not at all. Expected more ordinary stuff. Disappointed about all of it.
Published 10 months ago by Suzanne Parisien

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, almost foolproof recipes, Nov. 4 2012
A. Volk (Canada) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust (Hardcover)
OK, I have to admit, I found out the hard way these recipes aren't truly foolproof. But they are pretty close. In her friendly, warm style, Ina outlines a series of cocktails & appetizers, starters, main courses, and desserts. Her main goal is to present recipes that are easy to follow, well-explained, require only a modest amount of work and kitchen gear (no 4 pans, 2 sauce pots, and 3 different oven courses), and can often be partly or entirely made in advance. Ina also offers some very basic tips about scheduling a party (mainly give yourself enough time and include a starter so the night doesn't end too early) and about decorating (twelve presentation/table ideas). But its the recipes that shine through.

The candied bacon with pecans is a natural winner as an appetizer. So are the cheese batons (using puff pasty dough-this is the one I let burn the first time, my bad for losing track of time), corn chips (corn tortillas roasted with special seasoning), and almonds (with olive oil, salt, and time). There's also a cocktail recipe or two, but I'm not into cocktails (beer, wine, and scotch for me), so I can't judge those. The starters are a range of soups and salads that are simple enough to make yet complex enough to impress guests. The main courses run along the same lines. What stands out here are the amazing sauces. The basil mayo to go with the beef tenderloin (that she recommends be slow-cooked instead of the usual high-heat sear) is awesome. Ina is right in that a great sauce can make a dish, and she provides lots of sauces (her hollandaise is both simple and delicious). She also offers some interesting side dishes. Mashed sweet potatoes weren`t anything new (nor was the idea that a ton of butter makes them better), but the addition of a touch of orange juice to them was a great idea that I`m really keen to try out. Finishing up are some scrumptious desserts, my favorite of which is the maple pecan pie (made special with just a pinch of orange zest). In her effort to make these recipes foolproof Ina provides warning of tricky steps and/or events to watch out for in a particular recipe (such as when something needs to be added or heated/cooled). It works quite well.

So all in all this a great book for special, but not crazy, recipes. It`s perhaps not innovative enough for master chefs, or quite simple enough for beginners. But for competent cooks who are looking for something good enough to impress yet reliable enough to cook under the pressure of a dinner party, this is a great book. The pictures are gorgeous, the recipes are clear, and there are little tips and discussions throughout the book to add value (e.g, two pages on how/what to freeze, or a discussion of how to choose a good oven). Really, this book lives up to its title and delivers some very tasty recipes along with solid advice, making it a foolproof five star rating from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, Nov. 14 2012
I just received the book today and have tabbed almost every page for recipes I can't wait to try. I actually bought this as a Christmas present for my sister but have decided to keep it for myself. Tonight I made the Winter Minestrone soup and it was fabulous. I have never had a recipe by Ina not turn out great.
As always she has a great combination of foods for everyday meals and those that are company worthy. They are beautifully photographed and the instructions are easy to follow. I love the section of menus, because I for one usually have some difficulty in choose which foods compliment which.
Highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good cooking book, June 22 2014
very good cooking book and easy recipes to made, i love it and very good food to eat and more

5.0 out of 5 stars love your food, March 7 2014
Cheryl Frehlich "frehquilt" (pot alberni bc canada) - See all my reviews
Every Christmas my husband buys me a barefoot Contessa cook book I have 4 now . She has great recipes and easy to follow I haven't had one flop and the tastes are divine. Highly recommend her cook books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cookbook - look forward to feasting, Feb. 3 2014
Bought this for my husband as a friend of ours has it and has raved about the recipe. So far the ones we've tried have been very tasty!

5.0 out of 5 stars barefoot contessa, Jan. 19 2014
I have all of her cookbooks and use them all the time. Her recipes are consistently amazing and instructions are clear

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with great recipes / bon livre avec bonnes recettes, Jan. 17 2014
This book was a present and the feedback I received was really positive, the recipes are great. / J'ai donné ce livre en cadeau, les recettes sont excellentes et originales.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, Sept. 17 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Barefoot, Sept. 1 2013
If the Barefoot part doesn't get your attention, Contessa will for sure ! The book is lovely, Ina Garten seems like someone you would like to know and have her cook for you :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust, March 18 2013
I have all Ina's cook books.
I love her books mainly because I have most of the ingredients already in my pantry. If not the ingredients needed I can use for
other recipes. Unlike other cook books you have to hunt for an ingredient and never use it again.
I always highly recommend Ina's books to all my friends that enjoy to cook as I do.
I have never made a recipe from her books that have not been spectacular.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust
Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust by Ina Garten (Hardcover - Oct. 30 2012)
CDN$ 40.00 CDN$ 25.08