march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

on July 1, 2011
What a great read... in a nutshell: "Do what you love to do; outsource the rest."

Ferriss is an inspiring persona and provides us real-life tools of how he was able to attain utopia--a four-hour work week (4HWW). However, my passion does not resemble a product that I developed or redesigned, that could be converted into a mailorder business... unless I start re-packaging my favorite whole bean coffee from the Okanagan Valley, brand it organic, fair-trade and bird-friendly.

Alas, for those of us in middle to upper management in a traditional organizations, a 4HWW is not readily attainable. For many of us in these roles, we have at least 6 persons reporting to us and you, in turn, report to another person (or maybe more in a matrix responsibility organization)... and they have at least 4 or 5 peers. The normal command and control organization, where work is done in teams, meetings and in person does not lend itself to a 4HWW.

We are then left with three options:

1) Muster all of your formal, informal, political influence and combine with a bunch of emotional fortitude (all guts; no fear)... and start a mini-revolution to redesign the way you work with your team and your boss(es).
2) Quit your job and engineer that new iPad app that doubles up on "Angry Birds"
3) Take pieces of Ferriss' techniques and apply them to your current job (take the "act first, prove it, ask forgiveness later" approach)

EXECUTING SOME OF THE TECHNIQUES
IN A NORMAL WORK WEEK
I elected to pusue #3 (with some forwarning) and have undertaken to implement or have already implemented several of the below. So far, my productivity has risen dramatically, OT hours dropped and more time devoted to family and personal hobbies.

- Virtual Executive Assistant (DONE! Best $13/hr I've spent with BrickworkIndia)
- Speed reading/learning (DONE! I thought I was fast before... 20% better now)
- EverNote (DONE! Way better than MS-OneNote... cloud computing taken to the next level, with interfaces to everyone of my devices: PC work; PC home; Blackberry; iPad)
- Batching email reading and writing (DONE... well almost; I have a poor habit that needs breaking)
- "Puppy Dog Salesmanship" = "Take them home for a day or week. Bring them back if you're not comfortable or satisfied." --> ditto for trying new things at work. Test, experiment, pilot... if it doesn't work for you or your manager, it can always revert back to the old paradigm
- Voicemail to Email via PhoneTag (TESTING right now)
- Google Calendar/AutoSync/TimeDriver - send an email with "Schedule Now" button to allow users to book into your open time slots (STARTED, but IT network won't allow me to install AutoSync on PC work; but I figured out a workaround using my iPad. TESTING right now)
- Xobni (inbox spelled backwards) - batching and hotspot email periods (haven't tried yet, but would force me to break the bad email habit of processing all the time)
- Virtual conceirge (haven't tried yet, but as the errands pile up, it may be worth a try at $10/hr)
- Virtual freelance services - define the scope of work; post it; answer Q&A to redefine scope; the service "bids" out the work; get quotes back; select the freelancer; get the work done (Haven't tried yet, but the first SQL or Oracle programming issue I uncover, I am all over it)

MEMORABLE QUOTES:
"Here are two trusims to keep in mind: (1) doing something unimportant well does not make it important; (2) requiring a lot of time does not make a task important"

"How to read 200% faster in 10 minutes" (really, a must read section)

"The vision is really about empowering workers, giving them all the information about what's going on so they can do a lot more than they've done in the past." - Bill Gates

"Income Autopilot" - for those who don't want to run a business, but rather for those who want to OWN a business

"Fewer than 5% of the 200,000 books published each year sell more than 5,000 copies" {So much for getting rich being an author}

AND AT THE END
Ferriss does get a bit scrambled at the end of his book... you can tell he wanted to add so much more of what he has learned. Check out [...].
on February 18, 2010
Amazing book! And it was good to read it again as I purchase the first edition.
It wasn't clear to me what was added to this new version. It seemed exactly the same as the first edition, other than a few additions of some of Tim's Blog posts from his blog. I was expecting a bit more efforts to boost the revised edition with new material...
But again, it's still worth every penny!

TheFreedomEntrepreneurs(dot)com
on April 16, 2015
Tim Ferriss is a very creative guy. He wasn't content with the status quo and decided to do something about it and create a life on his own terms.

The book is a great and easy read. It is valuable because it shows that there are many solutions that are easily achievable but may not be "obvious". Yet they are obvious to others, to Tim Ferriss. This books shows you those creative options and for that it gets three stars.

The reason why I do not give it more stars is that it "promises" a life of easy riches. It plays on the basic human emotion, the desire to become rich quickly and stop working so hard! If we all worked 4 hours a week, would our economy still function? Or is there a chance that the author is promoting some method that would get quick riches on the backs of those other people? Like your uncle who didn't see this book and was dull enough to work 20 years hard labour... The methods used and proposed in the book fail to have a moral compass.

It also fails to discuss the difference between what people think will make them happy and what actually does make people happy. I would recommend reading "FLOW" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi to get an answer to that question.

Overall it is a useful book for those who want to start a small business, get some ideas, I would recommend it just don't get carried away in the hype. The title is just an attention grabber...
on September 4, 2013
This is not a lazy-man's guide to business, although that is the way it talks to get people to read it. This book is a "reality hammer" for people to wake up, open their eyes, and see the business world as it really is, full of higher tech allowing better work, smarter work, and above all, the elimination of wasted time.

I own successful businesses & this book was totally different from the snooze-fest that most business books have become ... it challenges the ordered business structures completely and challenges the person.

It tells you to wake up and smell the coffee, to look at your work and get objective. Further, it tells you to look at yourself in the mirror and get objective. I read it once ... then read it again a week later. Literally standing in my office looking at my desk with the piles of projects and assorted work for different companies I put the content of this book to work for me.

Virtual assistant: a Godsend. If you are a businessman without a virtual assistant you are an idiot. That said, I was an idiot putting off what technology gives us today, a smart, hardworking, tech-savvy assistant that goes through work like a chainsaw. There is no project that cannot be done better by a good virtual assistant. Examples: Organize all your photos including your business photos (personal), suggest additions to your LinkedIn community by researching peers (business), build up research your genealogy & family tree (personal), suggest books and ebooks to read for an upcoming lecture (business), collate and organize that book you have always wanted to write (personal), coordinate your calendar (business), organize birthdays w ecards for same (business + personal) ... the list is endless ... all at $13 per hour though I pay a little more.

This book is a welcome wake up call.
on February 5, 2014
But actioning some/most of it seems a bit far fetched.

Would recommend only if you had $10,000 or more for initial startup with the overseas companies - and could afford to loose same.
on October 16, 2010
This has got to be the absolute ultimate bible of Lifemanship. It has really opened my eyes to some fantastic possibilities. I get up in the morning and just glide thru life because I know I will succeed. I used to always have a cloud of doubt hanging over me, but now its blue skies positive,positive positive. I have read lots of inspirational and motivational books including the very excellent Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, but this is in a class of its own. It is fantastic to think what every individual is capable of when they are motivated and put their mind to it. Whether you are in business or are pursuing a career lift, this is the book for you. If you are in search of a career change you might like to check out Simon Ashley Richmond's very excellent Write Again Vol 1. Not exactly a business book, but the guy has some great ideas for writing to people you are fairly sure are going to say 'no'.
on February 2, 2011
Really loved the book - This book identified for me a few major flaws in my thinking and allowed me to work on my business with a new perspective. Great Info - Unusual Approach - Refreshing Way of Looking at the world. Thanks
on August 26, 2010
This book is simply brilliant and if you want to learn how truly "smart" people go about their day then this is a must read. 4HWW has definitely inspired and validated a career change I recently made.
on July 7, 2015
Well, the book is exactly what he is trying to teach. Make money with books like this. Of course he is not mentioning that... It is pretty repetitive and uses vague directions how to reach the 4 hour work week schedule. First get rich and hire other people to work for you while you travel. But how to get rich? Without that it is hard to work only 4 hours. With a bunch of money in the bank already I am able to work even 1 hour a week. Also some of his advices are purely not ethical. I gave 2 starts as there are some links in the book I did not know of, so that was good to see.
on October 26, 2012
Tim Ferris takes time management and turns it into a how-to-guide for taking responsibility for your own happiness, well being and self actualization. He enthusiastically and insistently encourages us to get off our lazy butts and start living our lives, instead of passively squandering hundreds of minutes, hours, days and weeks engaged in mindless wasteful distractions that can trick us into thinking we are actually doing something useful. Put aside the fear and stagnation, start living. His tips and strategies are empowering. Thanks to Tim.