march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage scflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Showing 1-10 of 41 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on July 1, 2011
What a great read... in a nutshell: "Do what you love to do; outsource the rest."

Ferriss is an inspiring persona and provides us real-life tools of how he was able to attain utopia--a four-hour work week (4HWW). However, my passion does not resemble a product that I developed or redesigned, that could be converted into a mailorder business... unless I start re-packaging my favorite whole bean coffee from the Okanagan Valley, brand it organic, fair-trade and bird-friendly.

Alas, for those of us in middle to upper management in a traditional organizations, a 4HWW is not readily attainable. For many of us in these roles, we have at least 6 persons reporting to us and you, in turn, report to another person (or maybe more in a matrix responsibility organization)... and they have at least 4 or 5 peers. The normal command and control organization, where work is done in teams, meetings and in person does not lend itself to a 4HWW.

We are then left with three options:

1) Muster all of your formal, informal, political influence and combine with a bunch of emotional fortitude (all guts; no fear)... and start a mini-revolution to redesign the way you work with your team and your boss(es).
2) Quit your job and engineer that new iPad app that doubles up on "Angry Birds"
3) Take pieces of Ferriss' techniques and apply them to your current job (take the "act first, prove it, ask forgiveness later" approach)

EXECUTING SOME OF THE TECHNIQUES
IN A NORMAL WORK WEEK
I elected to pusue #3 (with some forwarning) and have undertaken to implement or have already implemented several of the below. So far, my productivity has risen dramatically, OT hours dropped and more time devoted to family and personal hobbies.

- Virtual Executive Assistant (DONE! Best $13/hr I've spent with BrickworkIndia)
- Speed reading/learning (DONE! I thought I was fast before... 20% better now)
- EverNote (DONE! Way better than MS-OneNote... cloud computing taken to the next level, with interfaces to everyone of my devices: PC work; PC home; Blackberry; iPad)
- Batching email reading and writing (DONE... well almost; I have a poor habit that needs breaking)
- "Puppy Dog Salesmanship" = "Take them home for a day or week. Bring them back if you're not comfortable or satisfied." --> ditto for trying new things at work. Test, experiment, pilot... if it doesn't work for you or your manager, it can always revert back to the old paradigm
- Voicemail to Email via PhoneTag (TESTING right now)
- Google Calendar/AutoSync/TimeDriver - send an email with "Schedule Now" button to allow users to book into your open time slots (STARTED, but IT network won't allow me to install AutoSync on PC work; but I figured out a workaround using my iPad. TESTING right now)
- Xobni (inbox spelled backwards) - batching and hotspot email periods (haven't tried yet, but would force me to break the bad email habit of processing all the time)
- Virtual conceirge (haven't tried yet, but as the errands pile up, it may be worth a try at $10/hr)
- Virtual freelance services - define the scope of work; post it; answer Q&A to redefine scope; the service "bids" out the work; get quotes back; select the freelancer; get the work done (Haven't tried yet, but the first SQL or Oracle programming issue I uncover, I am all over it)

MEMORABLE QUOTES:
"Here are two trusims to keep in mind: (1) doing something unimportant well does not make it important; (2) requiring a lot of time does not make a task important"

"How to read 200% faster in 10 minutes" (really, a must read section)

"The vision is really about empowering workers, giving them all the information about what's going on so they can do a lot more than they've done in the past." - Bill Gates

"Income Autopilot" - for those who don't want to run a business, but rather for those who want to OWN a business

"Fewer than 5% of the 200,000 books published each year sell more than 5,000 copies" {So much for getting rich being an author}

AND AT THE END
Ferriss does get a bit scrambled at the end of his book... you can tell he wanted to add so much more of what he has learned. Check out [...].
on September 4, 2013
This is not a lazy-man's guide to business, although that is the way it talks to get people to read it. This book is a "reality hammer" for people to wake up, open their eyes, and see the business world as it really is, full of higher tech allowing better work, smarter work, and above all, the elimination of wasted time.

I own successful businesses & this book was totally different from the snooze-fest that most business books have become ... it challenges the ordered business structures completely and challenges the person.

It tells you to wake up and smell the coffee, to look at your work and get objective. Further, it tells you to look at yourself in the mirror and get objective. I read it once ... then read it again a week later. Literally standing in my office looking at my desk with the piles of projects and assorted work for different companies I put the content of this book to work for me.

Virtual assistant: a Godsend. If you are a businessman without a virtual assistant you are an idiot. That said, I was an idiot putting off what technology gives us today, a smart, hardworking, tech-savvy assistant that goes through work like a chainsaw. There is no project that cannot be done better by a good virtual assistant. Examples: Organize all your photos including your business photos (personal), suggest additions to your LinkedIn community by researching peers (business), build up research your genealogy & family tree (personal), suggest books and ebooks to read for an upcoming lecture (business), collate and organize that book you have always wanted to write (personal), coordinate your calendar (business), organize birthdays w ecards for same (business + personal) ... the list is endless ... all at $13 per hour though I pay a little more.

This book is a welcome wake up call.
on October 16, 2010
This has got to be the absolute ultimate bible of Lifemanship. It has really opened my eyes to some fantastic possibilities. I get up in the morning and just glide thru life because I know I will succeed. I used to always have a cloud of doubt hanging over me, but now its blue skies positive,positive positive. I have read lots of inspirational and motivational books including the very excellent Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, but this is in a class of its own. It is fantastic to think what every individual is capable of when they are motivated and put their mind to it. Whether you are in business or are pursuing a career lift, this is the book for you. If you are in search of a career change you might like to check out Simon Ashley Richmond's very excellent Write Again Vol 1. Not exactly a business book, but the guy has some great ideas for writing to people you are fairly sure are going to say 'no'.
on February 2, 2011
Really loved the book - This book identified for me a few major flaws in my thinking and allowed me to work on my business with a new perspective. Great Info - Unusual Approach - Refreshing Way of Looking at the world. Thanks
on August 26, 2010
This book is simply brilliant and if you want to learn how truly "smart" people go about their day then this is a must read. 4HWW has definitely inspired and validated a career change I recently made.
on February 14, 2012
Employment throughput should be measured in terms of productivity not hours spent for the most part. This book teaches you how to negotiate with your employer to liberate your time from the location shackles of an office to give the employer maximum benefit while not compromising your own personal life and time. From how to start a successful online business to great tips, ideas such as checking email only twice daily. This book will transform your life and open up your mind to new possibilities. Highly recommended. worth every cent.
on October 25, 2014
If you're suffering from too much to do and not enough time, you need to read this book. If you don't have enough time to read it, then you really need to read it!
on December 6, 2013
Love this book. I have it on my shelf and the audiobook version on my iPhone. This isn't a get rich quick book. But rather a manual on how to take control of your life and income production is part of the equation.

The principles, methods and case studies in this book led me to start my own business that has all production completely outsourced (to a US company), something I wouldn't have felt possible to accomplish without Mr. Ferriss' help.
on November 22, 2015
I've read this book a couple of times and found new understanding of some of the things which I thought I understood the first time. I haven't read it in a couple of years but need to dive into it again. Having just come off of a mini-retirement, which consisted of living on a boat in Florida and the Bahamas, I'm now looking at some ways to make money online and I'm sure there will be something new I can learn or understand better.
on July 20, 2013
I wanted to know how to earn an income without earning an income. Then this book came into my hands, and showed how its possible. I think it's a great book, and well worth reading. It is mind opening... And challenges current conceptual thoughts about working... And what productivity actually is.
Thanks Mr. Ferris