4.0 out of 5 stars Love is under your nose...
... and you don't know it. Emma and Dexter. It's the 15th July 1988 in London. They meet and like each other, but they will have to part tomorrow. The unusual choice by the author to write each chapter describing every 15th July after that, until near-present day, is quite captivating.

So many reviews have been written already that I would only like to add my...
Published on Feb. 20 2011 by I LOVE BOOKS

Published on Oct. 4 2011 by kat_bandit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Love is under your nose..., Feb. 20 2011
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)

So many reviews have been written already that I would only like to add my praise to the author for a brilliant and compelling story. Emma and Dexter, along with a few peripheral characters (some more in the picture than others), are entirely believable. I loved Emma's good-natured personality, I would have liked to jump into the book a few times and shake Dexter's insecurity-often-bordering-arrogance out of him and often it felt like really "being" there.

A well structured narrative delivers funny, realistic, moving moments depending on circumstances. An unusual, engaging love story. Well done to David Nicholls. My true vote: 4.5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Following two boring, tedious people over the course of twenty years, Oct. 4 2011
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
This book got many good reviews and has been turned into a movie, which would indicate that it's good. I did not find it so. This is a shame, since the idea of visiting two characters on one day, over the course of twenty years, is very interesting. Sadly, the characters are NOT interesting. They are boring, self-absorbed, stupid and tedious. The book keeps talking about how wonderful Emma is...I don't see it. She's such a good, kind person. Really? To whom??

The "twist" at the end of the book you can see coming from a mile away. Why else would the book continue as long as it did? By the end I was skimming the pages, just praying it would end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Aug. 27 2010
Erika Haubrich "Erika" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
This book was engaging, funny, yet so real that there were moments of immense sadness as you could relate to exactly what was happening to the characters. I have recommended this book to many friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, Oct. 31 2010
A. Tolibas (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
It's a great book! I love it! It's about love, life and friendship! Dexter and Emma are very real! I can't seem to get enough of them! In fact, I'm still not quite over this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love listening to my books, Dec 7 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Audio CD)
I am a multi-tasker in my craft to, And while I work I list to some great books. This is a great one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did I read the wrong book?, Nov. 24 2010
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
This book has so many good reviews (check amazon.co.uk, or amazon.com to see just a few of them). I bought the UK version, which has a nice bright cover that attracted me to begin with. Plus the idea of re-visiting two characters on the same day each year seemed so interesting, and like it could hold a lot of potential.

This book ended up being chic-lit. and I, being a 21 year old female, am in the target audience. But It was awful. I finished it, and then wished I hadn't. Even with the 'twist' at the ending so many people found almost redeeming, I hated this book. Neither character is very interesting, and I felt like the author was spoon-feeding me every joke or occurrence, just to make sure I understood. By the last 50 pages, I was skimming, wondering how the book hadn't ended yet.

PLEASE go read the 1 to 3 star reviews on amazon.co.uk and amazon.com before you decide to buy this book. It is a light read, no attention span needed, but not in a good way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun time capsule of romance, Jan. 1 2011
MD (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
I loved this story. I love that a time capsule is created by looking at one day each year - one single day that still explains so much about the year surrounding it. I felt the book to be exciting, nerve-wracking, and incredibly real. The ups and downs of a relationship over two decades - doesn't this happen with any relationship!? I found myself never losing hope for Emma and Dexter, and as I approached the later years, I was sad knowing that the book would come to an end, and I would not have the opportunity to follow them further.

A great read if you are a romantic, but want some depth and substance!

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, funny, a great read, Jan. 27 2011
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
It is considered a light read, my friends who recommended it to me read it in one day! But the story is also engaging, funny, light-hearted and yet touches on things that we can relate to when it comes to friendships and relationships in general that aren't always so light. This book had an impact on me and I thought about the story for a while after finishing it. A great chick read without the cheesiness. I would definitely urge others to read this, it's a very enjoyable journey, and certainly emotional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, fun and absolutely engrossing, Dec 17 2010
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
This was the first of David Nicholls' novels that I read. I happened to pick it up on a whim when I was passing through a drug store because I needed something to read on the bus and what a stroke of luck that turned out to be! I loved this book so much that I went and bought all of his other novels as soon as I closed the back cover.

1.0 out of 5 stars shallow characters dominate, Jan. 20 2012
I slogged through this novel as a trusted friend had recommended it. I thought it would get better as I read on, but I found the characters unbelievably shallow and uninteresting. I don't see how anyone can call this a love story. It really is about two lives wasted through self- pity and self-indulgence. Don't waste your time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

One Day
One Day by David Nicholls (Paperback - June 15 2010)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24