4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book
This book was engaging, funny, yet so real that there were moments of immense sadness as you could relate to exactly what was happening to the characters. I have recommended this book to many friends.
Published on Aug. 27 2010 by Erika Haubrich

Published on Oct. 4 2011 by kat_bandit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Following two boring, tedious people over the course of twenty years, Oct. 4 2011
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
This book got many good reviews and has been turned into a movie, which would indicate that it's good. I did not find it so. This is a shame, since the idea of visiting two characters on one day, over the course of twenty years, is very interesting. Sadly, the characters are NOT interesting. They are boring, self-absorbed, stupid and tedious. The book keeps talking about how wonderful Emma is...I don't see it. She's such a good, kind person. Really? To whom??

The "twist" at the end of the book you can see coming from a mile away. Why else would the book continue as long as it did? By the end I was skimming the pages, just praying it would end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Aug. 27 2010
Erika Haubrich "Erika" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, Oct. 31 2010
A. Tolibas (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
It's a great book! I love it! It's about love, life and friendship! Dexter and Emma are very real! I can't seem to get enough of them! In fact, I'm still not quite over this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A deep and fun book to read, Feb. 27 2013
John T C (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
A lot has been said and written a bout this book, so there is little to add. However, it lived up to the hype. The author did a great job of creating distinctive and very believable characters with voices that resonate very well with reality. The way the story is written reminds me of the the thriller Triple Agent Double Cross. The plot in this story is brilliant and the setting makes it even more appealing. There are tons of lessons in this book. In short, this mesmerizing story attests to the creative mind of the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love listening to my books, Dec 7 2012
This review is from: One Day (Audio CD)
I am a multi-tasker in my craft to, And while I work I list to some great books. This is a great one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love is under your nose..., Feb. 20 2011
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
... and you don't know it. Emma and Dexter. It's the 15th July 1988 in London. They meet and like each other, but they will have to part tomorrow. The unusual choice by the author to write each chapter describing every 15th July after that, until near-present day, is quite captivating.

So many reviews have been written already that I would only like to add my praise to the author for a brilliant and compelling story. Emma and Dexter, along with a few peripheral characters (some more in the picture than others), are entirely believable. I loved Emma's good-natured personality, I would have liked to jump into the book a few times and shake Dexter's insecurity-often-bordering-arrogance out of him and often it felt like really "being" there.

A well structured narrative delivers funny, realistic, moving moments depending on circumstances. An unusual, engaging love story. Well done to David Nicholls. My true vote: 4.5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did I read the wrong book?, Nov. 24 2010
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
This book has so many good reviews (check amazon.co.uk, or amazon.com to see just a few of them). I bought the UK version, which has a nice bright cover that attracted me to begin with. Plus the idea of re-visiting two characters on the same day each year seemed so interesting, and like it could hold a lot of potential.

This book ended up being chic-lit. and I, being a 21 year old female, am in the target audience. But It was awful. I finished it, and then wished I hadn't. Even with the 'twist' at the ending so many people found almost redeeming, I hated this book. Neither character is very interesting, and I felt like the author was spoon-feeding me every joke or occurrence, just to make sure I understood. By the last 50 pages, I was skimming, wondering how the book hadn't ended yet.

PLEASE go read the 1 to 3 star reviews on amazon.co.uk and amazon.com before you decide to buy this book. It is a light read, no attention span needed, but not in a good way.

1.0 out of 5 stars shallow characters dominate, Jan. 20 2012
I slogged through this novel as a trusted friend had recommended it. I thought it would get better as I read on, but I found the characters unbelievably shallow and uninteresting. I don't see how anyone can call this a love story. It really is about two lives wasted through self- pity and self-indulgence. Don't waste your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Day - Loved this Book!, Aug. 10 2011
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
I was look for a new book to read while I was on call for work. My most recent read was "The Help" which I loved and I was on the hunt for something equally light that I could immerse myself into and read through quickly.

The story is about Emma Morley and her best friend Dexter Mayhew. They meet at an after grad university party. They talk about their life ambitions, what they want to do, who they want to become, what the future will be like, etc. The book follows their relationship over a 20 year period - on the same day each year. July 15th, 1988, July 15th, 1999 - etc. You get to follow their relationship and their lives and read about how it unfolds. Sometimes as they expected, and true to real life - how it's no expected. You know how it is when we are young. We dream of what life will be like when we get older. We want to travel the world - we want to be doctors, lawyers, make a change in the world, leave a lasting impression, etc. Emma and Morley had dreams. Were the same dreams they held at 18 the same dreams they held 20 years later? Are yours?

The author had my attention right from chapter one. I couldn't put it down. I became infatuated with the characters - needing to read more, craving to know what happened next. I finished the book in 2 days. I don't want to give anything away about how it ended but I will say that this book has made it's way to my favorites.

If you are looking for a new book to read - then consider giving this one a shot. It will change the way you think about friendships, relationships and life. You may also feel a strong urge to re-connect with old friends you haven't spoken to in years. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A WONDERFULLY ELEGIAC NOVEL, July 23 2011
MONTGOMERY (WASHINGTON, DC - U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
Several months ago, I purchased this novel. But it was only 3 weeks ago that I began to read it. From the moment I read the initial chapter which features the bedroom scene with Dexter ("Dex") and Emma ("Em") on the night after they both had graduated from university (July 15th, 1988), I WAS HOOKED. I developed such a deep empathy for both of them, though I was especially partial to Emma, who came from a humbler background compared to Dex.

Nicholls' plot device of focussing on the lives of both Dex and Em through the prism of July 15th from 1988 was very clever. I liked being able to see how both their lives developed over time.

As someone who graduated from college in 1986, I strongly identified with Dex and Em, because they are roughly of the same generation as myself. (There was one song that played itself in my mind like a refrain as I read deeply into this novel --- and it was, "SOMEWHERE IN THE WORLD (Someone's Thinking of You)" by the UK band Swing Out Sister.)

"One Day" is representative of the best novels that evoke a welter of emotions that will make the reader hearken back to his/her salad days and smile.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

One Day
One Day by David Nicholls (Paperback - June 15 2010)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24