4.0 out of 5 stars Love is under your nose...
... and you don't know it. Emma and Dexter. It's the 15th July 1988 in London. They meet and like each other, but they will have to part tomorrow. The unusual choice by the author to write each chapter describing every 15th July after that, until near-present day, is quite captivating.

So many reviews have been written already that I would only like to add my...
Published on Feb. 20 2011 by I LOVE BOOKS

Published on Oct. 4 2011 by kat_bandit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Love is under your nose..., Feb. 20 2011
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)

So many reviews have been written already that I would only like to add my praise to the author for a brilliant and compelling story. Emma and Dexter, along with a few peripheral characters (some more in the picture than others), are entirely believable. I loved Emma's good-natured personality, I would have liked to jump into the book a few times and shake Dexter's insecurity-often-bordering-arrogance out of him and often it felt like really "being" there.

A well structured narrative delivers funny, realistic, moving moments depending on circumstances. An unusual, engaging love story. Well done to David Nicholls. My true vote: 4.5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Following two boring, tedious people over the course of twenty years, Oct. 4 2011
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
This book got many good reviews and has been turned into a movie, which would indicate that it's good. I did not find it so. This is a shame, since the idea of visiting two characters on one day, over the course of twenty years, is very interesting. Sadly, the characters are NOT interesting. They are boring, self-absorbed, stupid and tedious. The book keeps talking about how wonderful Emma is...I don't see it. She's such a good, kind person. Really? To whom??

The "twist" at the end of the book you can see coming from a mile away. Why else would the book continue as long as it did? By the end I was skimming the pages, just praying it would end.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Day - Loved this Book!, Aug. 10 2011
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
I was look for a new book to read while I was on call for work. My most recent read was "The Help" which I loved and I was on the hunt for something equally light that I could immerse myself into and read through quickly.

The story is about Emma Morley and her best friend Dexter Mayhew. They meet at an after grad university party. They talk about their life ambitions, what they want to do, who they want to become, what the future will be like, etc. The book follows their relationship over a 20 year period - on the same day each year. July 15th, 1988, July 15th, 1999 - etc. You get to follow their relationship and their lives and read about how it unfolds. Sometimes as they expected, and true to real life - how it's no expected. You know how it is when we are young. We dream of what life will be like when we get older. We want to travel the world - we want to be doctors, lawyers, make a change in the world, leave a lasting impression, etc. Emma and Morley had dreams. Were the same dreams they held at 18 the same dreams they held 20 years later? Are yours?

The author had my attention right from chapter one. I couldn't put it down. I became infatuated with the characters - needing to read more, craving to know what happened next. I finished the book in 2 days. I don't want to give anything away about how it ended but I will say that this book has made it's way to my favorites.

If you are looking for a new book to read - then consider giving this one a shot. It will change the way you think about friendships, relationships and life. You may also feel a strong urge to re-connect with old friends you haven't spoken to in years. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A WONDERFULLY ELEGIAC NOVEL, July 23 2011
KOMET (WASHINGTON, DC - U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
Several months ago, I purchased this novel. But it was only 3 weeks ago that I began to read it. From the moment I read the initial chapter which features the bedroom scene with Dexter ("Dex") and Emma ("Em") on the night after they both had graduated from university (July 15th, 1988), I WAS HOOKED. I developed such a deep empathy for both of them, though I was especially partial to Emma, who came from a humbler background compared to Dex.

Nicholls' plot device of focussing on the lives of both Dex and Em through the prism of July 15th from 1988 was very clever. I liked being able to see how both their lives developed over time.

As someone who graduated from college in 1986, I strongly identified with Dex and Em, because they are roughly of the same generation as myself. (There was one song that played itself in my mind like a refrain as I read deeply into this novel --- and it was, "SOMEWHERE IN THE WORLD (Someone's Thinking of You)" by the UK band Swing Out Sister.)

"One Day" is representative of the best novels that evoke a welter of emotions that will make the reader hearken back to his/her salad days and smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'When Harry Met Sally,' with a shot of reality, Jan. 2 2012
M (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
I was actually surprised to see all of the negative reviews.

In my opinion, this is an amazing book--so layered and so touching, at its heart it's really about two people--one friendship, one love--and the ways in which it changes, and remains unchanged, over time. The concept of revisiting these characters one day a year, over a span of many years, makes for an incredibly interesting read. And although the ending is bittersweet (without giving too much away), it is strangely and utterly satisfying.

Just through reading this book, I can tell that this was truly a labour of love for the author. It is both beautifully and thoughtfully written the whole way through, up to the very end. There are times you will laugh, cry, roll your eyes and find yourself completely gripped with anticipation. You may not completely relate to, or understand the bond between Emily and Dexter, but you will grow to care very deeply about it.

All and all it is probably one of the best books I have ever read. It is definitely not chick lit, or pure romance--it is a straight, honest and realistically complex story about people and the impact they have on each others lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, Sept. 23 2011
Buggy "SUNNIE Day reader" (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I adored this book for so many reasons one of them being that I'm a sucker for a tragedy. It was brilliant in every way; making me laugh and cry while filling me with nostalgia and longing. And because I'm the same age as Dexter and Emma the time frame here was also totally relatable with little details I had forgotten about from the past two decades.

ONE DAY is equal parts heartbreaking and hilarious yet also suspenseful as each chapter takes place a year to the day after the last one so you have to figure out what's happened in that time between. And of course you want the H/h to get together so you're waiting with bated breathe for them to finally "see" each other too. In the end this also made me want to seize the day like it's my last, phone up all my long lost friends and lovers and look at old photographs. Hmmm and I haven't even gotten into the genius of the writing yet (how do you put that into words?)

I knew that writing a review here was going to be difficult (when you love a book this much there doesn't seem to be enough correct words to do it justice) and I promised myself to just keep this short and to the point so here goes... This is one of the most hilarious, perceptive, witty, moving and heartbreaking books I have ever read.

Told in 5 parts in alternating POV's and over a span of twenty years Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morley meet in 1988. Em has just graduated from university and hooked up with that boy she's seen around for ages. He is Dexter, beautiful, pretentious and in his mind destined for greatness. As the sun rises they drink wine and talk about their futures. They have their whole lives stretching out ahead of them in an endless number of days and isn't it going to be wonderful they can achieve anything they want to.

Starting as lovers Dexter and Emma continue as friends and the book joins them on July 15th of each year (St Swithin's day) through their 20's and 30's and into their 40's. As anyone in their 40's knows, life happens and it doesn't always go as planned, missed opportunities and the like.

"When I was younger everything seemed possible. Now nothing does."

Through phone calls and letters, in different countries and towns, through assorted relationships, jobs and life's little surprises and ruts we join Em and Dex each year in a unique snapshot of their life. They don't always get along but they do think about each other everyday in some way and in case you haven't figured it out this is ultimately a love story.

I can't say much more about this without giving it all away. But when I read the last word I wanted to start it again and nothing I've tried to read since compares. Cheers.

"Live each day as if it's your last, that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that?"

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Aug. 27 2010
Erika Haubrich "Erika" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
This book was engaging, funny, yet so real that there were moments of immense sadness as you could relate to exactly what was happening to the characters. I have recommended this book to many friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, Oct. 31 2010
A. Tolibas (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
It's a great book! I love it! It's about love, life and friendship! Dexter and Emma are very real! I can't seem to get enough of them! In fact, I'm still not quite over this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A deep and fun book to read, Dec 12 2011
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
A lot has been said and written a bout this book, so there is little to add. However, it lived up to the hype. The author did a great job of creating distinctive and very believable characters with voices that resonate very well with reality. The way the story is written reminds me of the the thriller Triple Agent Double Cross. The plot in this story is brilliant and the setting makes it even more appealing. There are tons of lessons in this book. In short, this mesmerizing story attests to the creative mind of the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, Light, Fun Read, Oct. 26 2011
Ce commentaire est de: One Day (Paperback)
This was a book that had me wanting more. It's funny, sweet and so sad at the same time. I got really involved in Emma & Dexter's relationship, but their lives outside of one another was extremely fictional. It was written in such a way that was engaging and kept me reading.

I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone who wants a quick read, or something fun for, say, the beach!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

One Day
One Day by David Nicholls (Paperback - June 15 2010)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24