Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 20, 2011
... and you don't know it. Emma and Dexter. It's the 15th July 1988 in London. They meet and like each other, but they will have to part tomorrow. The unusual choice by the author to write each chapter describing every 15th July after that, until near-present day, is quite captivating.

So many reviews have been written already that I would only like to add my praise to the author for a brilliant and compelling story. Emma and Dexter, along with a few peripheral characters (some more in the picture than others), are entirely believable. I loved Emma's good-natured personality, I would have liked to jump into the book a few times and shake Dexter's insecurity-often-bordering-arrogance out of him and often it felt like really "being" there.

A well structured narrative delivers funny, realistic, moving moments depending on circumstances. An unusual, engaging love story. Well done to David Nicholls. My true vote: 4.5 stars.
on August 27, 2010
This book was engaging, funny, yet so real that there were moments of immense sadness as you could relate to exactly what was happening to the characters. I have recommended this book to many friends.
on October 28, 2015
The length of the book put me off, but I finished it in three days. Nicholls accurately conveys the atmosphere of the late eighties and nineties with some nicely-put descriptions that took me back. The emotionally charged chemistry between the 2 main characters were engrossing and I kept wondering where they were going to go from here. My only gripe is that I wished Dexter would sober up or learn from his past mistakes. I kept wondering why 15 July, the day the author chose to describe the situation between the characters with each passing year, but all will become clear at the end, which I didn't see coming.
on October 26, 2011
This was a book that had me wanting more. It's funny, sweet and so sad at the same time. I got really involved in Emma & Dexter's relationship, but their lives outside of one another was extremely fictional. It was written in such a way that was engaging and kept me reading.

I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone who wants a quick read, or something fun for, say, the beach!
on January 27, 2011
It is considered a light read, my friends who recommended it to me read it in one day! But the story is also engaging, funny, light-hearted and yet touches on things that we can relate to when it comes to friendships and relationships in general that aren't always so light. This book had an impact on me and I thought about the story for a while after finishing it. A great chick read without the cheesiness. I would definitely urge others to read this, it's a very enjoyable journey, and certainly emotional.