Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle boutiques-francophones Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports summer Tools Registry

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 30, 2010
Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to use these books as much as I would have liked so far. I have read other reviews that state they can be read almost like a novel - which is true. But with 2 young children hard to find the time!!

I have used it to look things up quickly and it has been helpful - the parts I have actually sat down and took the time to read have been excellent - I am learning tidbits of information and the proper "how to's" that make the process much easier and satisfying as the results are better. I consider myself a pretty experienced "home cook" and I have found them to be a great resource. If you are just new to cooking you will find it that much more beneficial!!

It is updated for the use of food processors etc.

Enjoy!
on November 1, 2012
This pair of books will turn the average cook into a great cook. They cover the basics of French cooking in an easy to read format, the recipes work and the result is delicious. If you have read Dearie, Julia's biography, you will know that this started life as a French cookbook written by the other two authors. To get their book published they enlisted Julia to help write the book in American. They then strove for several years to write the perfect French cookbook for the American housewife. The result was an instant best seller and one of the all time great treatises on French cooking. It is not up to date and may be found lacking by cutting edge cooks but it is absolutely terrific for most cooks and of interest in the evolution of food in America. Every household should have a copy.Also I bought this elsewhere because it was $35 cheaper for the set.
on February 8, 2010
Ce livre de Julia Child est clair facile à comprendre et nous propose des techniques qui fonctionnent très bien. Je le consulte souvent.
on May 24, 2010
A comprehesive and well illustrated compendium of fine French cuisine that you can make at home. Julia Child's thorough explanations of the most basic to the most complex recipes, injected with her famous sense of humour, calmly assures the most novice of cooks that he/she too can cook like a Cordon Bleu trained chef. Bon Apetit!
on June 2, 2013
A great addition to the cookbook shelf. Finally, a pie crust recipe and method that works...that alone made it worth buying the set!
on June 21, 2010
Well written in an informal tone, these books make French cooking much easier. I also like the way she positions basic recipes (as for sauces for example) and then the many variations on the theme derived from them. I have already tried several recipes, with great success.
on June 30, 2012
My Girlfriend is a chef, and she was looking all around for this. She was so happy when she unwrapped it, she actually cried. I don't know if the book is any good, but it earned me some points with her (and some yummy food soon I hope).
on April 8, 2010
This classic collection is a surprisingly accessible guide to French cooking (just cut down on the butter if you're health-conscious). The shipping was fast and the product arrived in perfect condition (I ordered it from Amazon directly).

The first recipe I made was Julia's "Boeuf Bourguignonne." I was a bit intimidated reading over the ingredient list, but the stew turned out delicious; I'm a college student without much experience in the kitchen, so this goes to show how clear and complete the instructions are. I would heartily recommend the collection to any food lover, old and new alike.
on May 3, 2010
If you are intimidated by french cooking this book is for you. The recipes although they look difficult at first are not hard at all once you understand the format of the book. We are even confident that we can make it for our mom's as a mother's day gift to them. When it comes to cooking though confusing at first this book with a few read throughs will cook you the basics of cooking french cuisine. Some recipes are a little harder than others but nonetheless they make good tools for you to learn new recipes and techniques.
on February 2, 2013
How can you not love Julia's cooking?!! There is nothing bad to be said about this book. Great set of book for someone who wants to cook something really, really tasty.