Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

• Aleph

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on May 8, 2013
I have read a few of his books in the past and really enjoyed them. However, I found Aleph to be obnoxiously self indulgent and intellectually arrogant. I managed to plod through this wreck of a book on sheer will. The characters were, with few exception, one dimensional, and quite frankly I could not have cared less what happened to any of them. Coelho's spiritual and intellectual arrogance was so obnoxious that I seriously doubt I will ever be able to read another of his books.
on December 6, 2013
Somebody described it as 'a journey throught the ego,' and I agree. The start of the book is excellent, I was so excited to get into it. But it dissolves into a random soliloquees of the writer putting himself above others. And then there's the strange and dominating relationship between him and a young girl, I really hope that was not based on real life events because grandpa gets a little too pervy for my taste. What happened Paulo?
on October 12, 2011
I rarely buy hardcover books. I mostly prefer to wait until they are cheaper as paperbacks. But I was so excited at the prospect of an autobiographical story that might inspire me spiritually, that I bought it impulsively. I have enjoyed a number of other books by Coelho: The Alchemist and Eleven Minutes, although not brilliantly written held my interest, had me caring about the characters and inspired thought. Aleph did not. It seems as though it was penned by a man who is arrogantly riding on his own coattails. It was incoherent and sparse in its narrative. And I really didn't care at all for the characters, neither Hilal, Coelho or any of his companions. I stuck it out waiting for some profound insights but mostly found it preachy in a kind of incomprehensible new age way. Disappointing.