5.0 out of 5 stars HOLY SHUCK!!!
Published on Oct. 12 2011 by Laurie

3.0 out of 5 stars It was...good. (NO SPOILERS)
I have finally completed the whole series and have opted out of reading the prequel. The prequel doesn't interest me as it only sums up what happened before the tale of Thomas and the Gladers and features all new characters. No thanks.

The first book in the series is the soon-to-be-in-theatres, movie adapted version of the book, The Maze Runner...
Published 4 months ago by Mesha

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Finale, Jan. 18 2012
I really enjoyed this third installment of The Maze Runner Series. It was satisfying and exciting. Like the other books, it was tough talking, action packed and full of mystery. Again, there are Cranks, who are people infected by the deadly Flare virus. I like this kind of take on zombies and the dilemmas dealing with them. The book started off fast and managed to give a lot of back story from the other books without seeming repetative or overly narrative.

Thomas grew in this book, though there were a few times where I thought he did reckless things just because he was not thinking properly. Maybe that makes him more human. There was one point I just wanted to yell at him to stop what he was doing. He gets faced with some tough decisions and not everything is completely rectified for him, which is interesting.

The friendships were done really well and were, for me, some of the best parts of the book.

There are so many juicy plot twists and moral issues that come up in this book that it keeps the reader turning pages. Then there are times when I felt that everything goes from bad to worse to even worse. Then, just for fun, even worse than that. Certainly, near the end of the book, I was rivited, waiting to see what would happen next. Some things also come full circle, which is quite satisfying and I have to say that I liked the ending, but won't say any more than that.

I would recommend this series for late middle school and young adult readers and think that it will especially appeal to boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOLY SHUCK!!!, Oct. 12 2011
Laurie (ONT, Canada) - See all my reviews
HOLY SHUCK!!! This book is awesome!!! I got the book yesterday but thanks to darn things like work getting in the way I just finished it a day later. I could not put it down, 400 pages of suspense. Did Thomas get out of the white walls?, did they find the other Gladers? did Teresa stab him in the back AGAIN? is WICKED good? all while they have to fight with a city of Cranks with electric grenades, guns and hand to hand combat with the help of some old friends and new friends. Also having to fight with flare which leads to the Oh My God part of the book that made me to cry and throw the book across the room all at the same time but the story wasn't over. WICKED was still after them and Thomas had to decide if he was going to give in or to keep on fighting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of The Death Cure by James Dashner, Nov. 22 2011
Gwenyth Love (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This final book in The Maze Runner trilogy picks up right where The Scorch Trials left off. Thomas is in a white padded room, contemplating something interesting...

"It was the smell that began to drive Thomas slightly mad. Not being alone for over three weeks. Not the white walls, ceiling and floor."

James Dashner definitely brought his A game back when writing The Death Cure. All the minor things that annoyed the heck out of me in The Scorch Trials was smoothed over by the fabulous writing and story-telling in this conclusion. It was an amazingly awesome wrap-up to this exciting and enjoyable series.

I don't want to give too much away, because I know nothing ruins my day more than stumbling across a nasty spoiler that drives me crazy for days on end...but I just have to say that I absolutely adore a writer who is not afraid to kill off main characters if and when it needs to be done. And to do it right! I mean, not just kill them to get a reaction, and not just for a matter of convenience sake, but because this character MUST die for things to be right with the world, and the story (if that even makes sense to you...it does to me...at least in my head...).

That comradeship that was built in The Maze Runner comes back into play in The Death Cure and you see, and feel, how important these relationships these characters have built with each other are, and how fragile they can become when push comes to shove. You care about these characters and what can, and does, happen to them. They are almost like family now!

The chapters, as always, were kept short, yet involved, which keeps the readers interested and coming back for more. Overall it was an amazing story that I am glad I got the opportunity to read and review. The ending cleared up almost all outstanding issues and I was really impressed with the series as a whole.

I recommend this book, and this series, to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 11 2014
Love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars It was...good. (NO SPOILERS), April 28 2014

Synopsis from Goodreads:
"If you ain't scared, you ain't human."

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.
---
While reading it, I was constantly very annoyed with the flow of writing; James Dashner's unpolished writing and repetitiveness continued to bother me throughout this book and the entire series. His writing distracted me so much that it really took away from the book. I also found the novel quite boring, yet promising, but it constantly left me waiting in anticipation and disappointing me later on. I always refer to The Maze Runner as a book that would do well as a movie; the plot is intriguing and unique and they would strip away the irrelevant things and might even make it better than the book.

The Scorch Trials, the second book in the series, I found more enticing.

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.

There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.
---
I had originally planned to not continue the series as The Maze Runner didn't satisfy me enough - or at least wait until I have time to read it - but I had someone tell me that I MUST continue; that James Dashner offers so much more in the last two books. I decided to take a chance and commit to the second book. It was definitely an improvement; it seemed as if Dashner was trying to appeal to an older audience as the gore and violence would be a little too much for a pre-teen, in my opinion. Some scenes were very graphic, but that made it all the more interesting. It was a lot more intriguing and kept me reading, excited for what would happen next as their lives continued to be in impending danger. New characters were introduced, loyalties were questioned, and a new problem was brought to the Gladers' attention, bringing them closer to the truth.

Last, but not least, The Death Cure.

Synopsis on Goodreads:
Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?
---
The improvement from The Scorch Trials dissipated, I guess, because this book reminded me of The Maze Runner; it lacked excitement, was promising, yet disappointing, and I was disappointed, but the writing has improved at least. There's some action within the book that will have you on your toes, but you will reel back easily without even a skipped heartbeat. There wasn't enough intensity in the novel until, basically, the very end. Things get intense then. Other than that, it didn't excite me enough. The characters spent a lot of time running back and forth and a character is mentioned in The Scorch Trials and in The Death Cure that only receives the light of day at the conclusion of the novel. All finales are rushed though, they can't help it.

I believe the series as a whole was...good. Just "good". It is a series worth reading and many will enjoy it, but I wouldn't call it my favourite series. If they were each individual books and not part of a series, I'd say read the Scorch Trials, but as a whole series, I don't know. I'd probably say something like "The Maze Runner was okay, I guess, but The Scorch Trials was really good! The Death Cure was kind of boring." Also, the series as a whole was confusing; in each book, there was a new reason for WICKED's methods. It was just too much information, he should have just picked one.

Overall, it's a good series. I would recommend it; I'm sure many will like it, and I absolutely cannot wait to see the movies! They should be amazing! It may not be the best series, but they're worth reading. It brings a fresh, never before seen, idea to the bookshelves. Well, I've never read anything like it, but I don't know for sure if there's absolutely nothing like it. Anyways, enjoy, try to look past his writing style and you should be fine. And what I mean by his writing style, I am mainly talking about his fragmented sentences. For example, he would write something like this: "He screamed his throat raw, called for help."....................................................................................................................yeah. He does it constantly throughout the series. If you see nothing wrong with that sentence, then you should be able to enjoy the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, March 11 2014
KMK (North Central,Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Our grandson who was 8 at the time read all three books in the series and really loved this, the first book in the series he did a book report in school with it and got an "A".

5.0 out of 5 stars review one, July 11 2013
this book is AMAZING i love it especially the ending i love most of the charcters my favorite one was Thomas he was the best

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Read, July 9 2013
James "The Dude" Dasher does it again... what a great read and a great series... can't wait for the movie rights to be sold :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, April 4 2013
If you like this series you'll enjoy this book. A great conclusion to the series, for me better than the second.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was okay., June 5 2012
Aimee Wilkinson (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have been following this book series and I didn't like how he finished off the books. I don't want to ruin the ending for some people, but I didn't like it. Some people might, it really depends on which character you like better. But, I do love the rest of the books, and I loved this one 'till the end.

The Death Cure (Maze Runner Series #3)
The Death Cure (Maze Runner Series #3) by James Dashner (Audio CD - Oct. 11 2011)
CDN$ 50.00 CDN$ 31.35