Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Furniture Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

The Death Cure (Maze Runner Series #3)
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$44.82+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 18, 2012
I really enjoyed this third installment of The Maze Runner Series. It was satisfying and exciting. Like the other books, it was tough talking, action packed and full of mystery. Again, there are Cranks, who are people infected by the deadly Flare virus. I like this kind of take on zombies and the dilemmas dealing with them. The book started off fast and managed to give a lot of back story from the other books without seeming repetative or overly narrative.

Thomas grew in this book, though there were a few times where I thought he did reckless things just because he was not thinking properly. Maybe that makes him more human. There was one point I just wanted to yell at him to stop what he was doing. He gets faced with some tough decisions and not everything is completely rectified for him, which is interesting.

The friendships were done really well and were, for me, some of the best parts of the book.

There are so many juicy plot twists and moral issues that come up in this book that it keeps the reader turning pages. Then there are times when I felt that everything goes from bad to worse to even worse. Then, just for fun, even worse than that. Certainly, near the end of the book, I was rivited, waiting to see what would happen next. Some things also come full circle, which is quite satisfying and I have to say that I liked the ending, but won't say any more than that.

I would recommend this series for late middle school and young adult readers and think that it will especially appeal to boys.
on October 12, 2011
HOLY SHUCK!!! This book is awesome!!! I got the book yesterday but thanks to darn things like work getting in the way I just finished it a day later. I could not put it down, 400 pages of suspense. Did Thomas get out of the white walls?, did they find the other Gladers? did Teresa stab him in the back AGAIN? is WICKED good? all while they have to fight with a city of Cranks with electric grenades, guns and hand to hand combat with the help of some old friends and new friends. Also having to fight with flare which leads to the Oh My God part of the book that made me to cry and throw the book across the room all at the same time but the story wasn't over. WICKED was still after them and Thomas had to decide if he was going to give in or to keep on fighting.
on November 22, 2011
This final book in The Maze Runner trilogy picks up right where The Scorch Trials left off. Thomas is in a white padded room, contemplating something interesting...

"It was the smell that began to drive Thomas slightly mad. Not being alone for over three weeks. Not the white walls, ceiling and floor."

James Dashner definitely brought his A game back when writing The Death Cure. All the minor things that annoyed the heck out of me in The Scorch Trials was smoothed over by the fabulous writing and story-telling in this conclusion. It was an amazingly awesome wrap-up to this exciting and enjoyable series.

I don't want to give too much away, because I know nothing ruins my day more than stumbling across a nasty spoiler that drives me crazy for days on end...but I just have to say that I absolutely adore a writer who is not afraid to kill off main characters if and when it needs to be done. And to do it right! I mean, not just kill them to get a reaction, and not just for a matter of convenience sake, but because this character MUST die for things to be right with the world, and the story (if that even makes sense to you...it does to me...at least in my head...).

That comradeship that was built in The Maze Runner comes back into play in The Death Cure and you see, and feel, how important these relationships these characters have built with each other are, and how fragile they can become when push comes to shove. You care about these characters and what can, and does, happen to them. They are almost like family now!

The chapters, as always, were kept short, yet involved, which keeps the readers interested and coming back for more. Overall it was an amazing story that I am glad I got the opportunity to read and review. The ending cleared up almost all outstanding issues and I was really impressed with the series as a whole.

I recommend this book, and this series, to everyone!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 6, 2015
The third and final book in "The Maze Runner" trilogy has us following Thomas and friends after they arrive back at WICKED headquarters. The Rat Man (Janson) has decided the trials are over and both groups of Gladers can get their memories back before everything continues. Thomas and a few others, have different plans, as they are not sure the actual "trials" have concluded and definitely don't trust WICKED yet.

This book seemed to cram a LITTLE too much in to too few pages. I understand that in this type book you probably don't want to write a Stephen King style "The Stand", but another hundred pages or so could have really given more, much needed info. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this book as well, but would have been interested in more information.

Final Verdict: If you're read the previous two, then this is another MUST READ to finish out the story!
on August 27, 2015
Pain. Everybody has pain. Physically, mentally, old, or new, pain is the worst thing a human can experience. The experience of losing a limb, creates the pain of phantom limb, which is feeling the pain in a body part that is no longer there. Mentally scars from death, killing others, can cause you pain in ways you cannot imagine. Scientists even made a scale to judge the amount of pain. The thing is about pain is that it’s different for everyone. Getting a paper cut could be the end of the world to someone, while to you it means nothing. So who is to judge whether or not you are in pain. Who have we elected to tell us to stop crying over something major to you, but minor to them. Who did we choose to test our level of pain, and see how much we can suffer before breaking? Is that person allowed to test us, even if it is for the greater good? WICKED’s goal was to lose as little human life, on order to save the rest. Yet is it in their right to tell you that your life doesn’t matter more than our race?

Thomas is done. He quits. He no longer wants to be a part of WICKED’s little game. He wants to be done and left alone. It seems as if Teresa’s betrayal in the second book really did him in. To this day I still have no idea what that was about, but Teresa did it for WICKED told her to. And for her, WICKED is good. After that Thomas gave up completely on Teresa, never being able to trust her again fully. So he quits. Sadly WICKED does not like that. They lock him in a white room for three weeks, as if this is another part of the trial. Then after those weeks “Rat Man” comes in with the rest of his people to explain how he is going to return their memories and how they are so close to coming up the cure. Minho, Thomas, and Newt all refused to get their memories back, unlike the rest. Teresa went around explaining to everybody how this is a good thing, how they will remember their past, family and friends. The whole thing about the flare and why it is important to their race. She could not persuade the leaders, as none of them trusted her anymore. WICKED separated them, leaving Thomas, Newt and Minho to face some more bad news. Not all of them were immune to the flare. A few were not, and they already have the flare infecting their mind. For the leaders, one of them have it, and he’s not slowing down his mind to save himself. The group escapes WICKED headquarters to the real world. There they experience the flare and what it is doing to the world. They learn about how not everyone is on board with WICKED and what they are doing. The group is facing with their biggest problem, they have to stop WICKED, but they also have to stop the flare, and rescues the immunes that WICKED had kidnapped in order to begin the trials again. Thomas has to deal with the deaths of his friends, and knowing that it is his life can save the world.

James Dashner ended the series with a bang. He ended it with a neat little bow, letting us all know what will happen to our main charters and our race. I do not agree with all his decisions. First off, he did not really solve the main problem of the flare. He sort of just left it, and was like “yeah we can’t fix that”. Even Thomas valued his own life, over our whole race. I get that WICKED was evil (no matter what Teresa wanted to believe) but Thomas had to choose between his life, and the lives of thousands innocent men, women, children. That I believe was the most selfish thing he has ever done. Not trying to give things away James Dashner did fix up the whole Thomas, Teresa, Brenda mess, in a way that was not the best. Even if all the charters had no emotion someone should have cared. Thomas has completely cut off his emotions, yet you can still feel some sympathy for him. The book would have been better if Thomas got his memories back, and know why Teresa believe that WICKED was good. Thomas just assumed they were bad and they force him to work with them, but what if he was willing, sadly we will never know. The writing was okay, and there were no dry parts. I just believe the series should have stayed as a novel. Once they escaped the maze they lived happily ever after, and none of this should have happened.

Check out more of my book reviews at TeenageReads.com
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
What you're in for: Mysterious. Distrust. Confusion. Action. Cranks.

My Thoughts:
What a disappointing ending! The ending makes the whole series, the whole freaking story pointless. I mean, really. Read it and you will see. It's so frustrating to get to the end of this series and feel this way: like I just wasted my time reading these books. It was a pointless story and so many things were never explained!

Okay, now that that rant is over... The book as a whole was blah. It had a completely different feel to it from the other books. I, honestly, wasn't all that captivated by the story in this book. It just didn't measure up to the story of the first two books.

I thought Thomas was very annoying throughout the book. His thought processes and choices and logic just drove me crazy.

The characters were not developed enough, particularly Brenda and Jorge. I hate how we never got any of the characters' pasts explained. Why not? Isn't that the whole point of a final book of a serious? To resolve the story and explain everything? Argh! Neither of those happened fully in this book! I am so frustrated!!!
on April 28, 2014
I have finally completed the whole series and have opted out of reading the prequel. The prequel doesn't interest me as it only sums up what happened before the tale of Thomas and the Gladers and features all new characters. No thanks.

The first book in the series is the soon-to-be-in-theatres, movie adapted version of the book, The Maze Runner.

Synopsis from Goodreads:
"If you ain't scared, you ain't human."

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He's surrounded by strangers--boys whose memories are also gone.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It's the only way out--and no one's ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.
---
While reading it, I was constantly very annoyed with the flow of writing; James Dashner's unpolished writing and repetitiveness continued to bother me throughout this book and the entire series. His writing distracted me so much that it really took away from the book. I also found the novel quite boring, yet promising, but it constantly left me waiting in anticipation and disappointing me later on. I always refer to The Maze Runner as a book that would do well as a movie; the plot is intriguing and unique and they would strip away the irrelevant things and might even make it better than the book.

The Scorch Trials, the second book in the series, I found more enticing.

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.

There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.
---
I had originally planned to not continue the series as The Maze Runner didn't satisfy me enough - or at least wait until I have time to read it - but I had someone tell me that I MUST continue; that James Dashner offers so much more in the last two books. I decided to take a chance and commit to the second book. It was definitely an improvement; it seemed as if Dashner was trying to appeal to an older audience as the gore and violence would be a little too much for a pre-teen, in my opinion. Some scenes were very graphic, but that made it all the more interesting. It was a lot more intriguing and kept me reading, excited for what would happen next as their lives continued to be in impending danger. New characters were introduced, loyalties were questioned, and a new problem was brought to the Gladers' attention, bringing them closer to the truth.

Last, but not least, The Death Cure.

Synopsis on Goodreads:
Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?
---
The improvement from The Scorch Trials dissipated, I guess, because this book reminded me of The Maze Runner; it lacked excitement, was promising, yet disappointing, and I was disappointed, but the writing has improved at least. There's some action within the book that will have you on your toes, but you will reel back easily without even a skipped heartbeat. There wasn't enough intensity in the novel until, basically, the very end. Things get intense then. Other than that, it didn't excite me enough. The characters spent a lot of time running back and forth and a character is mentioned in The Scorch Trials and in The Death Cure that only receives the light of day at the conclusion of the novel. All finales are rushed though, they can't help it.

I believe the series as a whole was...good. Just "good". It is a series worth reading and many will enjoy it, but I wouldn't call it my favourite series. If they were each individual books and not part of a series, I'd say read the Scorch Trials, but as a whole series, I don't know. I'd probably say something like "The Maze Runner was okay, I guess, but The Scorch Trials was really good! The Death Cure was kind of boring." Also, the series as a whole was confusing; in each book, there was a new reason for WICKED's methods. It was just too much information, he should have just picked one.

Overall, it's a good series. I would recommend it; I'm sure many will like it, and I absolutely cannot wait to see the movies! They should be amazing! It may not be the best series, but they're worth reading. It brings a fresh, never before seen, idea to the bookshelves. Well, I've never read anything like it, but I don't know for sure if there's absolutely nothing like it. Anyways, enjoy, try to look past his writing style and you should be fine. And what I mean by his writing style, I am mainly talking about his fragmented sentences. For example, he would write something like this: "He screamed his throat raw, called for help."....................................................................................................................yeah. He does it constantly throughout the series. If you see nothing wrong with that sentence, then you should be able to enjoy the series.
on August 26, 2015
Same review for all three books of the Maze Runner trilogy: It's a good series that is a bit predictable and sometimes runs off on itself. I found myself thinking "just get to the point" or variations of that. Note that my own tastes might not be the same as yours but I enjoyed it to a degree. I'm glad I read it (and re-read it in anticipation for the Scorch Trials movie - after seeing the trailer and not remembering anything that happens there, happening in the book)... however it doesn't stick out from every other post-apocalyptical series. There weren't any shocking moments right up until the epilogue of the third book (Death Cure) but that was more of an "Oh S**T... actually... well, that doesn't surprise me". All in all, the trilogy is an enjoyable read, just don't go into it thinking it's a brand-new idea (even ignoring the fact it's a (post)apocalypse where everyone's looking for a cure to a disease gone rampant).
on March 19, 2015
I would have given it 0 stars, but it might look like I forgot to grade it. Don't even waste your time or money. If you'r e thinking of reading it ,to find out what happens at the end (like I did), dont bother. I gave the first book a 5 star, the 2nd book, 2 stars, then a zilch, I should have have listened to all the other reviewers, who say exactly what I'm saying. It's obvious with the success of the first book, the author could write any crap, hoping people would read the others.
on August 10, 2015
After reading the prequel and the first two books in this trilogy, I just had to find out how it was going to end. The author managed to keep us wanting more and it was a fast read. The book keeps your interest and it always amazes me how they come up with such stories. its always fun to read something that could possibly happen, what imagination!