5.0 out of 5 stars Jack is back.
Published on Oct. 26 2011 by Kotter

3.0 out of 5 stars a Good Read but ordinary.
A Good read
A predictable plot and quite good overall. Would say it's in the middle rating of Child's books.
Published 5 months ago by Janis Zibergs

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack is back., Oct. 26 2011
Kotter "kotter49" (Caledon East, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
After a couple of less than exceptional efforts it appears Lee Child had his act together for this one. Written in the first person, a format I prefer for the Reacher novels, it downplays the violence and concentrates more on Reacher's analytical skills. It was a very enjoyable read. I read it beginning to end in one session. Hopefully he will write more about the military adventures of Reacher.

4.0 out of 5 stars A retrospective view, Oct. 1 2011
CGP - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
As I say in my review of the Kindle edition, I was sorry to finish this Reacher story. I was thoroughly caught up in it and couldn't decide if Devereux or Riley was the killer, half the time thinking she was, half the time thinking he was. Very dark view of the upper echelons of the military and the Senate, but unfortunately quite credible. It was also good to learn about Reacher's start as a roamer. Very much enjoyed the book. Certainly one of Child's better efforts. The downside is I waited weeks for the book to be available and finished it in a day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reacher, the Jaded MP, Oct. 14 2011
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
"So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.'" -- Luke 17:10 (NKJV)

I highly recommend this book. It chronicles how Reacher became the fascinating civilian we know from earlier books in the series instead of an MP. A major part of the book's charm is seeing how Reacher handled the upper echelons when he reported to them. It's a new view of the Army that will fascinate you, I'm sure.

I would love it if Lee Child would write dozens more books about Reacher in the Army. That would be terrific!

The book's main weakness is that the plot is a little too transparent and some elements are over exaggerated.

But it's definitely a lot of fun!

4.0 out of 5 stars Back in Time, Nov. 3 2012
Toni Osborne "The Way I See It" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Book 16, in the Jack Reacher series

“The Affair” is effectively a step back in time to 1997, the single most crucial point in Reacher’s life, when he gave up his structured career as a military cop and decided to become a drifter with skills to offer. In this undercover adventure, he lets his hair grown long, lets his beard grow and adopts a minimalist way to travel. This eventually sets the stage for his new life.

The plot is uncomplicated and exciting, it sends Reacher to Mississippi, where he will impersonate a care free traveller in order to ferret out those responsible for a secret American military mission in Kosovo that was totally botched and covered up by those involved.

While in Carter Crossing, a small town near the military base, Reacher makes friends with the local sheriff, Elizabeth Deveraux and subsequently gets drawn into another mystery hence a sub-plot comes to life. Elizabeth’s concern about the killings of several beautiful young women and the gruesome manner in which they were left to die piqued Reacher’s interest, he felt he could be of assistance and could not resist getting involved even though he had a full plate with his primary mission.

The author skillfully sets the atmosphere with strategically placed crisp strokes of the pen and the dialogue contains just enough slang to fit the scenes. There is no shortage of action, some very gruesome but each case is handled with tack without slowing the momentum. Our intrepid protagonist is definitely in full, over-the-top form, I like the testosterone driven anatomy comments that add a touch of humour while Reacher faces down two red neck tough guys in a pickup truck. The description of Reacher’s amorous side is also a hoot…. I couldn't help but laugh at times …..

I am a fan of this series and can’t wait to see what will come next.

3.0 out of 5 stars a Good Read but ordinary., Feb. 5 2014
A Good read

5.0 out of 5 stars good book by Lee Child, Jan. 13 2014
Lee Child.. I like his work his books are all different and that's what makes me want to read them.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Enjoyment, Oct. 10 2013
This was a delight I was enjoying from the first couple of pages and right to the end.......Delightful and Great Pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the Best, But Very Good, June 14 2013
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
To my mind The Affair is one of the better of the Reacher books. From the word go its an interesting tale. Clearly Lee Child has a formula going here along the lines of Jack stumbles upon some misdeeds and sorts them with a mixture of his sharp analytical skills and irresistible violence. Throw in the romantic interest and that's about it really. However these books are written so well that the reader never gets the feeling that he is reading the same story repeatedly.

This time round we go back to the very latter part of Reacher's army career to find out how he blotted his copybook in the eyes of the military. The last of these books I read had Reacher rather overdoing it on the analytical front and even analysing his cups of coffee - strength, stewed, cup smaller than average, bigger, thicker china than normal? However, in the Affair it is a pleasure to see Reacher much less anally retentive and really only bothering with issues which may have some bearing on what was going on - maybe he acquired these more irritating habits with age!

When Reacher gets into a fight its a foregone conclusion whether he is up against two, four, six or really any number of opponents. Similarly on the love front, this man can never fail. There was rather more of this latter aspect than strictly speaking was necessary or usual in a Reacher tale here. However, I did find the concept of using the midnight train as a marital aid innovative and quite amusing!

To summarise, Lee Child writes these stories very well and I normally end up rating at four or five stars as they are generally very enjoyable page turners. On this one and to put it in Reacher's words. Not the best. But very good. Right up there.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, April 26 2013
never a dull moment. loved it. can't wait to read more. don't agree with tom cruise as playing reacher, but oh well

5.0 out of 5 stars The Affair, March 27 2013
Linda J. Leclair "Good Book Reader" (Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
Another Jack Reacher book. This is one of the most intriging characters I have ever read. You never know what to expect from these books and I find I can't put it down once I start reading it. I just have to find out how everything works out. I recommend this book to any Jack Reacher fans.

The Affair: A Jack Reacher Novel
The Affair: A Jack Reacher Novel by Lee Child (Audio CD - Sept. 27 2011)
CDN$ 51.00 CDN$ 32.13