countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on November 3, 2011
Reading Mindy Kaling's book on the subway is a sure fire way to get attention. You will read. You will laugh out loud. You will get stared at.

It's easy to compare her to the likes of Tina Fey and Nora Ephron, but she is an original unto her hilarious self.

To be perfectly honest, I believe that Mindy Kaling looked deep into my soul and my brainpan and wrote this book just for me. I relate to it on so many different levels. From her thoughts on Mark Darcy, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Paul Rudd in Wet Hot American Summer (only one of the best movies ever, btw), and wanting a clear definition for 'hooking up', her essays are enjoyable, funny, smart, and hard to put down.
on May 22, 2016
Not much to this book at all. It's funny, sometimes laugh-out-loud funny. The last few pages are a slog, though.

This book is a perfect paperback puff piece. Great for the beach but not memorable.
on July 1, 2016
I love Mindy Kaling and her book just perpetuated that. I laughed out loud countless times while reading this. Also if you're a fan of the office or the Mindy project you will definitely enjoy her insight to writing and acting for both. Really really great book.
She also throws in some funny pictures every now and then so it's a fun little bonus.
on November 16, 2014
This book is wonderful and is also the reason why I have received a shocking number disapproving looks on the subway/streetcar. I kept looking like a crazy person for laughing (to myself) out loud. Mindy Kaling, please come out with another book soon! You are pleasantly consistent in your delivery of comedy.

Sincerely,
Ashley (aka someone who never posts online reviews unless something is sinfully awful, or in this case, too good to be true)
on April 26, 2016
Clever and witty Mindy didn't disappoint! Talking about her life and growing up it offers another insight into a very vocal female comedian of our time. If you like The Mindy Project this is definitely a must read!
on November 17, 2014
This is a funny book. It's a book I wish I had written and I wish I could hang out with her. I've read it more than once and I'm pretty sure I'll read it many more times. I recommend it to anyone with a great sense of humour who wants a light, easy read for times like: laying in bed with too many thoughts in your head and unable to sleep, waiting in a long line at Costco, sitting in a waiting room, someone is invading your 'me time' with their inane chitchat, etc....
on January 3, 2015
Mindy makes you feel like you finally met the best friend you never had growing up because you have lived in 17 places since childhood. Maybe we are best friends now, but she would be the kind that talks about herself constantly while you full heartedly listen intently and just wish she would ask how you are doing once in a while. This book filled a void I've had for a while, and I am now sad this is the first book I have finished since 2010, as like all my childhood friendships, it is over JUST LIKE THAT. I have always had a dream that one day I would put together my life story in a funny but sadly (and happily I guess) compilation of stories that people could relate to and someone would pick up and feel the way I feel about Mindy's book. She isn't an amazing writer of novels, but she's relatable, funny and quirky and she makes people feel like a lot less of a creep. She is also a champion for women who just want to be women, not some made up fantasy of the girl on the cover of a popular fashion magazine (I sure hope Mindy hasn't been on the cover of said magaxine or I will feel silly). Hats off to this book. Everyone is hanging out without you, but you are reading this book so who cares about them!
on December 1, 2014
If you've ever watched and loved "The Mindy Project," then you will love this book. Hell, even if you haven't seen the show but you enjoy funny things, you will enjoy this book. Mindy is hilarious and has had me laughing out loud at almost every page. It reads a bit like an autobiography, but she throws in whatever she feels like adding as well. The book is organized chronologically, but she doesn't tell you every single mundane detail of her life, either. A great read which I am recommending to all of my girl friends!
on August 9, 2013
If you like Mindy you will love learning more about her via this book. It's very much a biography with some fun info about The Office, etc. I highly recommend - if you want a "beach read" book that you can finish in one day.
on March 23, 2016
Some stories are funny but I had a hard time following her gibber-gabber way of writing and I didn't understand half of her references when she wrote about actors, TV shows and old movies. Maybe I'm not well versed in the entertainment world but I found it a struggle to finish. I've had this book for 4 + months now and have to force myself to read a chapter per week just to finish it. Most books that I love, I finish in a weekend. This one is hard to finish. This is surprising to me, because I absolutely LOVE her show "The Mindy Project".