5.0 out of 5 stars Geekgasm
Published 1 month ago by ThatGuy

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, missing something
A great premise, 80s nostalgia, and intriguing twists carry the story well. I did not enjoy the story telling, which fell short in being able to be captive or enthralling. Many sequences lacked enough build and details to be immersive, so the potential of an epic tale was never reached.
Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Geekgasm, Nov. 23 2014
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
This book is pure, unadulterated fun, from first word to final credits. Enough 80's kitch to make any fanboy (or girl) randy. Mr. Cline has you in his sights, from the very first page. He's meticulous and stealthy, every twist delights and every turn elicits an emotion. Part action adventure, part love connection, this is a tale with all of the fixings. A classic among post-apocalyptical classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I read this year..., Dec 21 2014
Thomas Duff "Duffbert" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
I'm really surprised I had never heard of Ready Player One by Ernest Cline with all the reading I do. I like the cyberpunk genre, and this falls squarely in that category. A friend of mine had asked for reading recommendations, and this book was repeatedly suggested. Bottom line, it was excellent.

The year is 2044, and the world is in chaos. About the only thing that makes it bearable is OASIS... a virtual world (think Second Life on steroids) that is an obsession with nearly everyone. Wade Watts, the main character, is a teenager who basically lives in OASIS like most of his friends. The creator of OASIS, James Halliday, was an eccentric personality who was stuck in the culture of the '80s. When he dies, he sets up an online treasure hunt in OASIS, leaving his fortune (and the ownership of OASIS) to whoever can find three keys and gates hidden away in the virtual world. Gunters, those who devote all their time to solving the puzzle, have spent years looking for clues but to no avail. That is, until Wade, aka Parzival, inadvertently discovers the first key and starts a life-and-death battle for the fortune and future of OASIS.

This book was wonderful in so many ways. For those of us who grew up in the 80's, this is a continual flashback to those times. TV shows, movies, music, and video games of that era all figure prominently in the story. The author's creation of OASIS is perfectly executed, using a mix of existing tech and plausible fantasy/technology to make it believable in a cyberpunk way. He also goes beyond the technology to establish characters that have feelings and emotions that they have to sort through as part of the adventure and conflict. I quickly got absorbed into the story and had a hard time putting it down each night.

I would *highly* recommend this book for a number of audiences... cyberpunk, near-future earth sci-fi, techie, even young adult (since the main characters are of that age). It's a great story, excellent plot, and a great "blast from the past" when it comes to reliving the 80's.

Disclosure:
Obtained From: Vendor
Payment: Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Level 100 warrior approves this., Dec 8 2014
Agnes J (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
I took a full guess on "Ready Player One". I read few reviews, which sounded promising. I was looking for an interesting futuristic novel, and decided to give Ready Player One a go. I have to say that I was pulled in right from the start. I completely loved the book! I grew up around the computers since i was 7, with Commodore C-64 being my first one, so a lot of things in this book took me back into my childhood. There was a lot of things I didn't quite connected with, simply for the fact that I came from Europe, so I was not expose to all the "geekiness" described in the book. However, that did not bother me one bit, it actually made things even more interesting.
I really loved the idea for the story. Playing WoW, Guild Wars 2, Ultima-On-Line, I was hooked. I was traveling the world with the character, completely imagining each vivid scene with great detail.
Very fun read! I hope Enest writes more, because he defiantly has a talent!

Summary:
If you love video games, and adventures, this is the book for you! Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight for any geek - even if you know nothing about the 1980s!, Oct. 18 2014
This book is a new favourite. I was born after the 80s so I don't know all that much about the decade's culture or technology. Despite that, this story is an absolute delight. I love video games and this is basically any gamer's fantasy put to paper. There's action, adventure, tension, comedy, romance, friendship, and so much more. It deals with current themes, like meeting and getting to know people on the internet; corporate greed for power; the choice between an ideal life in a virtual world or an imperfect one in the real world; sexual identity, gender perception, and how people respond to it... The list goes on. "Ready Player One" deals with all of these things in a way that's very real and mature, simultaneously taking you on an unforgettable adventure that tickles the kid in you. If you like a wholesome adventure, this is for you. If you like adventures AND you like video games, this is even more for you. And if you're just a big geek, then knock yourself out. Really, I'd say this is a book for anyone to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, missing something, Aug. 11 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Nerd Pop Culture Galore!, Nov. 14 2014
Wade A - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book is an interesting read. It takes place primarily in OASIS, which is a virtual reality world where people do EVERYTHING. The books main plot revolves around a quest for the game creator's legacy prize. A great book of pop-culture references and 80's nerd fandom and love. Great and very quick read for video game and pop culture fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, Aug. 22 2014
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
A beautiful mosaic of geek culture. Even without the nostalgia of 80s references, this book consumed me with its solid plot and very "real" characters.

The social commentary is very real as well, reminding us all not to forget to put down technology once in a while and enjoy the real world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 80's nostalgia with a fun and intriguing story, Oct. 27 2011
This review is from: Ready Player One (Audio CD)
Where do I start? I should first mention that I spent a lot of time in the 80's playing many of the video games mentioned in the book, as well as watching the movies and music of that era. So perhaps for me the story was more interesting as it was more relevant. I can't say for sure. I loved it though. The idea of a future where we spend most of our time hooked into a virtual world seemed plausible, and the fact that the protagonist was an atheist was also nice as I could relate to that as well. I literally couldn't put the book down. I actually listened to it while at work, which I have never done with an audio book before. I just couldn't stop listening to it. Will Whedon did an awesome job of reading it. He added just enough flair where needed and his acting skills really seemed to add something to the characters in the story. It killed my productivity for a day, but man was it worth it. So many kewl details and interesting trivia. Even if you don't like the 80's, it may still appeal to you. There are large evil corporations, and amazing battles with manga characters. Really amazing book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick and fun read, June 23 2014
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
The book is page turner, easy to read and suspenseful. I feel those who were serious gamers in the 80's would really appreciate it more as there are tons of references to old computer games.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, June 16 2014
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
Ready Player One kept my attention from beginning to end. It is smart, witty, thought-provoking, with lots of nostalgia for those who lived through the 80s, while still being an interesting dystopia for a new generation of readers.

Ready Player One
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Hardcover - Aug. 16 2011)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.87