5.0 out of 5 stars Geekgasm
Published 6 months ago by ThatGuy

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, missing something
A great premise, 80s nostalgia, and intriguing twists carry the story well. I did not enjoy the story telling, which fell short in being able to be captive or enthralling. Many sequences lacked enough build and details to be immersive, so the potential of an epic tale was never reached.
Published 9 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Geekgasm, Nov. 23 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
This book is pure, unadulterated fun, from first word to final credits. Enough 80's kitch to make any fanboy (or girl) randy. Mr. Cline has you in his sights, from the very first page. He's meticulous and stealthy, every twist delights and every turn elicits an emotion. Part action adventure, part love connection, this is a tale with all of the fixings. A classic among post-apocalyptical classics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Well Written, Too Much Nostalgic Description, Lacking Depth, April 1 2015
Ce commentaire est de: Ready Player One: A Novel (Paperback)
Highly entertaining. The book is very well written, in the sense that it does exactly what it sets out to do without making the writing or the language a distraction for the reader. This in YA fiction, a typical coming of age story. But Ready Player One isn't as angst'y as many of the other popular YA novels.
I have two major criticisms of this book. The first is that there is too much description of 80's junk. I didn't mind it for the first 100 pages. I found that it helped me understand the extent to which the narrator was immersed in the culture and told me how extensively he had done his research (which is important to the overall story). But after we are 200-300 pages in to the book, and the characters and setting are well established, there is no need to continue to go in to the level of detail which the author does. I found myself regularly skipping ahead, jumping over large swaths of descriptive text, without having missed anything actually relevant to the story.
The second issue I have with this book is that it lacks depth. There is a very weak message, (which Cline tries to pull out of a hat in the last pages), but other than that the book is pretty much just plain entertainment. The author is using science fiction to tell a story, rather than using a story to explore the implications and moral quandaries that arise from science fiction ideas. I tend to prefer the latter type of novel, but if you are just looking to be entertained, and enjoy 80's and 90's nostalgia, then this is a great book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is WOW. This book definitely lives up to all the hype..., May 17 2014
My Thoughts:

1. Just like a real videogame, the plot had me addicted from the start. For me, being a medium gamer, I LOVED all the old classic 80's references. It's geeky, sci-fi and fun, all in one!

2. The author does an amazing job building such an intricate and yet simple, futuristic technological world. It felt like I was actually playing the game and experiencing virtual reality through the character.

3. Flawless. Is what I would describe the plot, the writing, and pacing. Cline's writing style seem so effortless and yet detailed enough for the reader to fully experience the story.

4. What I enjoyed most about the plot is that it has a realistic quality and believable element. Most dystopian or sci-fi novels I've read have far-fetched and over-the-top ideas that end up ruining the book. It's scary to think about how much time in our daily lives is spent on the internet and I wouldn't be surprised if in a few decades reality will be overruled by virtual technology. Cline does an amazing job with the plot by adding a few fun twists and turns which makes the journey much more adventurous and exciting.

5. I praise Cline for his ability to make so many connections from the 80's and incorporating them into oridinary clues and riddles. It amazing how every small detail plays such a crucial role in the hunt. I was so engrossed with the hunt that it felt like I was playing it myself. It was smart of Cline to get the reader involved and thinking along with the protagonist in solving the game.

6. I really admire Wade's character. He's just an ordinary, average-looking, slightly overweight teen who, like many of us, undergoes a virtual identity to escape reality (not to mention he has an adorable crush with a famous online blogger). Wade's character is much like James Halliday, the deceased multibillionaire, who never felt at home in the real world and is socially awkward. When Wade embarkes upon this new adventure, he soon realizes that not everyone is excited about his newfound discovery. I love how smart, determined, and calculating Wade is; he picks his battles rather than impulsively jumping into situations. Wade's journey was non-stop action and suspense and a total page-turner that kept me on my toes the entire time.

7. I had to pace myself and tell myself to slow down in order to enjoy the book or else I would have read it all in one sitting. Just like every amazing stand-alone book, I was so sad that it ended. I'm hoping Cline thinks about doing a sequel because there's so much more I want to know!

8. In all, if there's one thing I must say about Ready Player One is READ IT NOW!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun ride, Feb. 1 2013
Ce commentaire est de: Ready Player One: A Novel (Paperback)
This was a fun novel. An interesting quest that keeps moving at a brisk pace, likeable (if somewhat two-dimensional) characters and the author's easy-breezy writing style make for one of those books that suck you in and keep you turning pages late into the night. I was an 80's geek (not quite so hardcore as Cline), so many of the references resonated with me. But I don't think that is a prerequisite to enjoy the story, as Cline does a fairly good job of explaining situations, for example, in video games that I wasn't familiar with. Unfortuantely, I found the 80's references, especially in the first half of the novel, to be laid on a bit thick. Cline really pounds the reader over the head with movie, music and video game references, and you can tell he's fully indulging in his own nostalgia for these things. Alas, I couldn't help wondering if a high-school kid (Wade) in 2044 would look upon the 1980's as "nostalgia" or as "ancient history". I suppose it could be argued that the protagonists in this story share a special view of the 1980's that maybe the general population of 2044 wouldn't have.

I read that Warner Bros. bought movie rights for this one day after the publishing deal was signed. That's not surprising. The book reads like a screeplay in the vein of War Games or a John Hughes movie. The Good Guys are just a tad too clever and lucky, while the Bad Guys have unlimited power but are idiots. But that's okay, because this book doesn't try to be complex or thought-provoking. It's unabashedly simple, straightforward and exciting. I respect a story that doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is. And this one is a lot of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting read!, Aug. 1 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Ready Player One: A Novel (Paperback)
I was in a local bookstore a few weeks ago where they have a shelf of employees' favourites, including a review by the employee on their favourite book. The review for Ready Player One stood out and as I was reading the back cover, an employee came up and said how great the book was and that he'd written the review for it. He said it was the only time he's ever finished a book and immediately turned it over to start again. I immediately came home and ordered the book online. After reading RPO, I can say that I was very tempted to do the same thing!

What a great read! It started off a bit slow (for the first 30-50 pages) and I wasn't sure I was going to love it, but it suddenly picked up a lot. It was fast-paced with lots of great 80s references.

Ready Player One is set in 2045, a time when people spend the majority of their days in a very realistic computer game called the OASIS. When the creator of the OASIS dies, he leaves a hint to a quest to find an egg. The first person to find the egg wins $640 billion, his entire empire. RPO follows Wade (or Parzival, as his avatar is known) on his quest to find the egg. Some parts are funny, some parts are sad and some are suspenseful.

I'm surprised that anyone would give this a 1star because of the writing style. Honestly, I didn't find it bad at all and actually enjoyed the way he writes. If you're a fan of dystopian novels as I am (or even if you aren't), I really recommend this book! It's just a great, fun read. I can't wait for Ernest Cline to put out another book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Are you a geek born before 1980? Here's your reward., June 17 2012
Andre Farant (Ottawa, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: Ready Player One: A Novel (Paperback)
My best friend and I met in ninth grade (that's freshman year for those of you reading from south of the border). I was seated on the floor, my back to my locker, reading a D&D guidebook. My future roommate, then just a stranger in torn jeans and a baggy plaid shirt, stopped before me and said something along the lines of, "Whattaya reading that for? They've got AD&D now."

And that was the beginning. We spent the next few years playing NES games (the older and cheesier the better), Magic: The Gathering, and, of course, role-playing games. We also watched and jeered such 'Eighties masterpieces as Commando and Freejack and ate Cap'n Crunch while the Real Ghostbusters or the original Spider-Man cartoons filled the TV screen.

Ready Player One is an imaginative, thoroughly charming reward for people just like my friend and I. If you can name at least two stars from the movie Wargames, can tell me what AD&D stands for, and know in which movie one man follows another while banging together two halves of a coconut (bonus points for knowing why), then chances are quite good that you'll not only enjoy Ready Player One, you'll love it.

In the year 2044 the world has essentially gone to hell--yes, it's one of those stories, but bear with me--and a large portion of the world's population has retreated into a virtual universe named the OASIS. The OASIS, created by the late James Halliday, is an immersive environment not unlike The Matrix, yet you enter it voluntarily and do so not to feed your robot oppressors but to conduct business, to interact with friends, or, more commonly, to escape reality. Wade is one such escapist, but he is also a Gunter, one of many hunting for Halliday's Easter egg.

See, Halliday's death activated one last message from the revered game creator. In this message, he announced that he had hidden, somewhere in the OASIS, an Easter egg (a prize or gag hidden within a game or program's code). The person who found the egg would be awarded his entire fortune and the OASIS itself. Given this, hundreds of OASIS regulars devoted their lives to finding the egg, becoming egg hunters, or "Gunters."

Wade, our hero, becomes the first to find one of the clues meant to lead Gunters to the egg and, with his discovery, begins a quest throughout the many worlds of the OASIS. The OASIS is a reflection of its creator, and its creator, Halliday, was obsessed with geek culture, especially 'Eighties geek culture. And therein lies the true fun, the true beauty of Ready Player One.

One of Halliday's puzzles involves the 2600 hertz tone. One of the characters in the novel has pasted a "Don't Panic" sticker on his crate of vinyl records. Wade's car is a flying Delorean. If you understand why all those things are cool, man, is this novel for you.

Ready Player One is always fun, often touching, and entirely satisfying. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ULTIMATE NOSTALGIA TRIP FOR Gen-Xers!, Sept. 3 2011
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
Ce commentaire est de: Ready Player One (Hardcover)
READY PLAYER ONE is one great piece of literature, a book that not only will get hold of you from page one and never let go but it will also speak directly to your soul. At the same time though, Gen-Xers will have the time of their life in a nostalgia trip of the 1980's like no other.

Wade Watts is an 18-year old orphan living with his heartless aunt in a stacked trailer park. He is obese and suffers from acme and severe lack of social skills but to him it matters little because he is almost always online, getting schooled and hanging out with his friends on a massively multiplayer online environment named OASIS.

OASIS consists of a virtually endless number of worlds, some magical, others cyberpunk and yet others approximating the real world. OASIS is a huge success as in 2044, when the gap between the rich and the poor has grown into an unbridgeable chasm and all of the fossil fuels are gone (but not the environmental problems their abuse caused), life is bleak for the great majority of humanity. The only sane refuse is to get lost in this digital heaven.

When James Halliday, the insanely rich and eccentric creator of OASIS, dies he wills his multi-billion company to the first person who will discover the three keys he Easter-egged into his digital universe. So the worldwide stampede of egg-hunters (known as gunters) starts off, people searching for the ultimate video game prize. Their only clues are Halliday's video message and known 80's fixation. With such a global race, a race that takes the masses back to simpler and happier times, the 80's come back in fashion.

Early video games, taking their first steps just out of the primordial sea and capturing the imagination of an entire generation with only some blinking pixels. Classic RolePlaying Games with dungeon crawling, looting, re-equiping and leveling up. Sit-coms of unique determined optimism, springing from an era of a growing economy and reigned-in capitalism. SciFi TV series offering immersion that was never again replicated. Toys and gadgets that sprung from instances of pure genius. Movies so epic in scope and impact that one developed blind-spots to their cheesy props and plot holes.

Like a good 80's pop-culture narrative the hero (known by his handle of Parzival) has companions (Aech and Art3mis, Shoto and Daito), he has to face powerful villains (Sorrento and his army of Sixers), overcome insurmountable obstacles and find his destiny. A classic piece of literature that will find its rightful place in the 21st century canon.

The pop-cultural zeitgeist shows a strong geek-chic bias lately but even if the 80's were before your time or you never played any MMOGs or even any video games you will still love this book. You will not want to miss a single line of code, you will more fun than Ferris Bueller on his day off and, when done, you will feel the urge to start it all over again. And again.
Because you too will ask yourself: did Ernest write this book especially for me or is the gravity tag of the pop-culture during our teenage years so powerful we have all unknowingly turned into its image?

Can you hear the 28K modem screeching its connecting handshake in the background?

WITH MY HIGHEST RECOMMENDATIONS!

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, missing something, Aug. 11 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars RPO, July 4 2013
Ce commentaire est de: Ready Player One (Hardcover)
Ready Player One is probably one of my favorite books of all time. It was so nostalgic and I was able to relate to the protagonist throughout the whole story. I couldn't seem to stop reading this book! I would tell myself "Okay, one more chapter" and I'm not the reading type, so that has to be worth something right?. This book embodies the 80's with so much flare and I commend Ernest Cline for doing so. I still can't wrap my head around how good this novel is! I'm most likely going to read it a couple more times and share it with some friends. There were parts in the book where I was on the edge of my seat and that has never happened whilst reading a book! Overall this book deserves a 5/5, it blew me away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 80's nostalgia with a fun and intriguing story, Oct. 27 2011
Ce commentaire est de: Ready Player One (Audio CD)
Where do I start? I should first mention that I spent a lot of time in the 80's playing many of the video games mentioned in the book, as well as watching the movies and music of that era. So perhaps for me the story was more interesting as it was more relevant. I can't say for sure. I loved it though. The idea of a future where we spend most of our time hooked into a virtual world seemed plausible, and the fact that the protagonist was an atheist was also nice as I could relate to that as well. I literally couldn't put the book down. I actually listened to it while at work, which I have never done with an audio book before. I just couldn't stop listening to it. Will Whedon did an awesome job of reading it. He added just enough flair where needed and his acting skills really seemed to add something to the characters in the story. It killed my productivity for a day, but man was it worth it. So many kewl details and interesting trivia. Even if you don't like the 80's, it may still appeal to you. There are large evil corporations, and amazing battles with manga characters. Really amazing book.

Ready Player One
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Hardcover - Aug. 16 2011)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.87