5.0 out of 5 stars Great 80's nostalgia with a fun and intriguing story
Published on Oct. 27 2011 by Falco Amadeus

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, missing something
A great premise, 80s nostalgia, and intriguing twists carry the story well. I did not enjoy the story telling, which fell short in being able to be captive or enthralling. Many sequences lacked enough build and details to be immersive, so the potential of an epic tale was never reached.
Published 8 days ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, missing something, Aug. 11 2014
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 80's nostalgia with a fun and intriguing story, Oct. 27 2011
This review is from: Ready Player One (Audio CD)
Where do I start? I should first mention that I spent a lot of time in the 80's playing many of the video games mentioned in the book, as well as watching the movies and music of that era. So perhaps for me the story was more interesting as it was more relevant. I can't say for sure. I loved it though. The idea of a future where we spend most of our time hooked into a virtual world seemed plausible, and the fact that the protagonist was an atheist was also nice as I could relate to that as well. I literally couldn't put the book down. I actually listened to it while at work, which I have never done with an audio book before. I just couldn't stop listening to it. Will Whedon did an awesome job of reading it. He added just enough flair where needed and his acting skills really seemed to add something to the characters in the story. It killed my productivity for a day, but man was it worth it. So many kewl details and interesting trivia. Even if you don't like the 80's, it may still appeal to you. There are large evil corporations, and amazing battles with manga characters. Really amazing book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick and fun read, June 23 2014
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
The book is page turner, easy to read and suspenseful. I feel those who were serious gamers in the 80's would really appreciate it more as there are tons of references to old computer games.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, June 16 2014
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
Ready Player One kept my attention from beginning to end. It is smart, witty, thought-provoking, with lots of nostalgia for those who lived through the 80s, while still being an interesting dystopia for a new generation of readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, June 6 2014
The perfect combination of classic videogame and pop culture nostalgia. References will make you laugh and bring you back to your youth. Highly reccommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is WOW. This book definitely lives up to all the hype..., May 17 2014
This review is from: Ready Player One (Hardcover)
My Thoughts:

1. Just like a real videogame, the plot had me addicted from the start. For me, being a medium gamer, I LOVED all the old classic 80's references. It's geeky, sci-fi and fun, all in one!

2. The author does an amazing job building such an intricate and yet simple, futuristic technological world. It felt like I was actually playing the game and experiencing virtual reality through the character.

3. Flawless. Is what I would describe the plot, the writing, and pacing. Cline's writing style seem so effortless and yet detailed enough for the reader to fully experience the story.

4. What I enjoyed most about the plot is that it has a realistic quality and believable element. Most dystopian or sci-fi novels I've read have far-fetched and over-the-top ideas that end up ruining the book. It's scary to think about how much time in our daily lives is spent on the internet and I wouldn't be surprised if in a few decades reality will be overruled by virtual technology. Cline does an amazing job with the plot by adding a few fun twists and turns which makes the journey much more adventurous and exciting.

5. I praise Cline for his ability to make so many connections from the 80's and incorporating them into oridinary clues and riddles. It amazing how every small detail plays such a crucial role in the hunt. I was so engrossed with the hunt that it felt like I was playing it myself. It was smart of Cline to get the reader involved and thinking along with the protagonist in solving the game.

6. I really admire Wade's character. He's just an ordinary, average-looking, slightly overweight teen who, like many of us, undergoes a virtual identity to escape reality (not to mention he has an adorable crush with a famous online blogger). Wade's character is much like James Halliday, the deceased multibillionaire, who never felt at home in the real world and is socially awkward. When Wade embarkes upon this new adventure, he soon realizes that not everyone is excited about his newfound discovery. I love how smart, determined, and calculating Wade is; he picks his battles rather than impulsively jumping into situations. Wade's journey was non-stop action and suspense and a total page-turner that kept me on my toes the entire time.

7. I had to pace myself and tell myself to slow down in order to enjoy the book or else I would have read it all in one sitting. Just like every amazing stand-alone book, I was so sad that it ended. I'm hoping Cline thinks about doing a sequel because there's so much more I want to know!

8. In all, if there's one thing I must say about Ready Player One is READ IT NOW!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the past in a future VR world!, May 16 2014
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
If you are a fan of realistic science fiction novels and want to know how VR will change the world, read it now!!! ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars really.good.sci-fi!, May 9 2014
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
This is for anyone who has experienced and loved gaming from its murky origins in the early eighties to the complicated present. I loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars fun read, April 1 2014
Ryan Mcfadden (London, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
This was a fun book - though if it weren't for a friend's recommendation I probably never would've gotten past page 50. As fun as the last 325 pages are, the first 50 are a real slog. I don't know if you need to be a fan of the 80s to enjoy this book but it certainly helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle App Choked, March 5 2014
This review is from: Ready Player One (Kindle Edition)
The book started out very interesting then the Kindle App on my tablet would not let me read any more for some reason. This was my first e-book. You have lost me forever Kindle. I have gone back to paper books.

Ready Player One
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Hardcover - Aug. 16 2011)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.87