5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on Feb. 18 2004 by Angela Hamm

2.0 out of 5 stars On some levels insightful, but bad theological foundation
Published on March 29 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars On some levels insightful, but bad theological foundation, March 29 2003
This review is from: Windows Of The Soul (Hardcover)
I think it's obvious there's nothing wrong with observing our world and the happenings within it and speculating what God's perspective might be. And there's nothing wrong with contemplating a piece of art, literature, music, or film and recognizing in it symbolic correspondence to transcendent truth as revealed in Scripture. And author Ken Gire does this well. If he had left it at that, I probably would be as enthusiastic about this book as the next reader.
However, in "Windows of the Soul," Gire goes a step further and teaches that such endeavors are actually communications from God, "moments of revelation." The book is Gire's attempt at giving Christians insight into how to perceive such "revelations." Gire goes as far as to imply that such "revelations" possess an importance equal to that of the Bible, even referring to them as "God's word." Gire implies that Biblical revelation sometimes fails to satisfy our spiritual longings because, through it, "we are fed the experience of others. But they are not OUR experiences. I can read a psalm about David crying out from a cave in the wilderness, and I should read that psalm, but it is not MY psalm. It is not my psalm because it is not my cave, not my wilderness, and not my tears." Thus, Gire feels a need for a new category of revelation.
I sense Gire is well intentioned, but I believe, in this respect, he's teaching a form of mysticism, not Christianity. [Webster: "mysticism - the belief that direct knowledge of God, spiritual truth, or ultimate reality can be attained through subjective experience (as intuition or insight)"] And while I recognize that the defense of these ideas isn't the primary intent of his book, the theological extrapolations Gire offers are tragically sloppy and at times involve the assignment of new, unorthodox meanings to Biblical accounts and terminology.
Some might suggest that Gire's paradigm is just an elaboration on the concept of "general revelation," the Biblically supported idea that the world implicitly communicates certain things about God and His nature. However, the variety of channels described in "Windows," as well as the content of the messages Gire speculates they deliver, far surpass the traditional understanding of the nature and role of general revelation. (And Gire writes as if he's aware that what he's proposing is unconventional.)
READER BEWARE : I believe it is accurate to say that Ken Gire is advocating a theology and discipline not taught in Scripture.
When it comes time to contemplate the "furniture" of life and apply Biblical teachings to what you observe and experience, "Windows of the Soul" does document some good exploration in that regard. However, when it comes time to hear God speak, don't let anyone convince you God's revealed Word in Scripture is insufficient for the task.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Feb. 18 2004
Angela Hamm (Lewisville, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
In 1998 I reveiwed this book by writing the following:
Ken Gire is one of the most expressive writers of our day. His words paint a picture of our soul. Words that are simple, yet profound. Gire shows us how we can experience God through different avenues that intersect our daily lives. Don't be surprised by the tears that come to your eyes, they are tears from God showing you an area of your life that may need to be explored, understood or enjoyed. This is a book that you will continually want to come back to again and again.
I continue to read this book and find it as refreshing as the first time.
I disagree with the review from Hooterville. Ken Gire is very sound theologically and his work reflects this. Ken encourages us to look for new ways in which we can discover God. There is nothing mystical about discovering new ways for one to grow in their love for God and in their love for people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feed your Soul; Fill your Spirit, March 8 2003
"montci" (Diamond Bar, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows Of The Soul (Hardcover)
I purchased this book off the shelf as its artistic references in the description attracted me to it. I soon discovered the value of Mr. Gire's wisdom, compassion, and his own personal knowledge of an intimate relationship with God that evolved through his own personal experiences. This book came at a time in my own life when, a few months earlier, I had suffered a sudden tragedy that resulted in the death of my husband of 11 years. This book, and its quiet reflective nature, brought me peace during many sleepless nights. I found the thoughtful wisdom inspiring, and appreciated his knowledge of literature and history. I have purchased several of his books since, and have been blessed by each one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and thoughtful, Jan. 12 2003
This review is from: Windows Of The Soul (Hardcover)
I recently read Windows to the Soul and found it a refreshing read. There are seldom times in life where you actually check up from the daily grind and hear God speaking. Mr. Gire writes in a refreshing manner that recalls to mind memories of your own while conveying the simple truth that God speaks to us through many ways. I would recommed this book to anyone who struggles with understanding their purpose in life and hearing God speak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, Sept. 24 2002
This review is from: Windows Of The Soul (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book, more than worth your time to take up and read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, Dec 21 2001
This review is from: Windows Of The Soul (Hardcover)
This is truly the BEST book I have ever read. I cannot describe how amazing it is. What a gift Ken Gire has given us. You will be amazed by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows of the Soul Retreats, Sept. 28 2000
This review is from: Windows Of The Soul (Hardcover)
Ken Gire conducts retreats based on this book. He uses a multi-media approach with video clips, cds, and overhead transparencies. You can contact him for more information about the retreats by writing to: Reflective Living, P.O. Box 819, Palmer Lake, CO 80133.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening book, July 21 2000
This review is from: Windows Of The Soul (Hardcover)
This book really changed my way of viewing EVERYTHING in the world. The things that seemed so trivial before, now have a meaning, and reflect Christ's glory. A must read for Christians who want to grow more and who want to experience God more in their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ken Gire, Author and Artist, June 19 2000
Charles P. Relfe "Chuck" (Birmingham, AL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Windows Of The Soul (Hardcover)
With each brushstroke he reaches into the reader's soul for colors. He accurately recognizes words cannot render justice to the rich hues, textures and nuances of our experiences with G_d.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, April 6 2000
This review is from: Windows Of The Soul (Hardcover)
I loved this book. My mom had been telling me to read it for about a year, and I finally did. I only wish I would have picked it up sooner. This is a book for everyone at every spiritual level. I am telling everyone I know to read it. It is a book to add to your collection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Windows Of The Soul
Windows Of The Soul by Ken Gire (Hardcover - March 21 1996)
CDN$ 19.49 CDN$ 14.07