5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner for Blackstock
Published on Aug. 17 2003 by Abernathy64

3.0 out of 5 stars Still trying to figure out if I like it...
While I consider this average reading, especially with it's predictability factor...I have still found myself finishing the series. Obviously something draws me back to it. I do like TB's afterword thoughts and appreciate her faith, but as for being a challenging and mysterious read with turns and twists, none of this they are...But, still must support the effort...
Published on Feb. 28 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner for Blackstock, Aug. 17 2003
Abernathy64 (Baxter, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trial By Fire: Volume 4 (Paperback)
The Newpointe 911 series is just what I needed. Intelligent, fast paced thrillers from a Christian author. Who would've "thunk" it. I was searching for books that I could read and not have to skip whole passages, pages or even chapters to avoid explicit violence, sex and language. To find that and not have to sacrifice the type of plot lines and genre of reading that I enjoy was indeed a blessing. In this, the fourth of the series, we find bad girl, Issie Mattreaux, fighting her attraction to the town's pastor, Nick Foster. And, Nick is fighting just as hard. However, the Lord just keeps bringing them together. Their relationship in itself is enough to make you want to read the book, but add on a mystery set in a small town in Louisiana and revolving around the firefighters, cops, and rescue units and you have a recipe for a winner. The book also makes a strong statement on the effects of peer pressure and how kids can be lead astray. It also doesn't wimp out and make the ending one that is always perfect in the eyes of the world. However, it does show how bad things happen to good people and how good can come out of it. The only downside is that the next book isn't out yet. But, you can always re-read the first three books in the series, "Private Justice", "Word of Honor" and "Shadow of Doubt".

5.0 out of 5 stars another winner from Blackstock!, Dec 31 2000
This review is from: Trial By Fire: Volume 4 (Paperback)
Issie has a problem: she finds herself more and more drawn to the handsome pastor/fireman Nick Foster and she knows that she is not living the life that she should. But in the midst of trying to sort out her feelings, a crisis occurs: Nick's church burns to the ground, killing someone trapped inside. Further investigation reveals that the victim, a young black man, was dead before the fire started and that perhaps Nick's church was picked to burn because of its open door policy to people of all races. More complication arises when Issie discovers the involvement of her own nephew in this skinhead-type group. Issie has no time to sort out her feelings for Nick as she tries to rescue her nephew from the crowd he is with before another incident occurs, and Nick becomes so disheartened after the burning of his church that he considers leaving the ministry. You will not want to put this one down as you see how the Lord leads Issie, Nick, and the other characters through their trials and troubles. Trial by Fire is another great suspense story by Blackstock, and I am anxiously awaiting the next one! (Hope Issie and Nick will be husband and wife in it!)

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put this book down!, Oct. 21 2000
This review is from: Trial By Fire: Volume 4 (Paperback)
Terri Blackstock has done such a great job of mixing Christian romance with suspense, that you can't put this book down. I read it in one day!
The continuation of the 911 series is only getting better. Trial by Fire relates to the trials in anyone's life. Lots of times, people think that Christians are immune to suffering. This book shows that isn't true. We all have trials, including the preacher, Nick Foster. Nick is having trouble dealing with the fact that his church has burned down, a murder was committed, and how these events are affecting his congregation. It reminds us where we should go for wisdom & strength.
Trial by fire also does a great job of portraiting how many of the kids that are raised today are so numb to immorality. They often get in over their heads by trying anything to feel "accepted". Best friends, Jake and Benton, have been accepted into a group that practices neo Nazism. Jake's aunt, Issie, who is known as the bad girl in town, places herself in danger trying to save her nephew. And why has the preacher taken such an interest in Issie? The suspense is too much!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Title for an Excellent Book, Oct. 27 2000
This review is from: Trial By Fire: Volume 4 (Paperback)
Every book in the series was good, but this one was especially hard to put down. The storyline is so true to life; and the ongoing suspense will keep your heart racing from page to page. If you've read the earlier books, this continuing story of the residents of Newpointe will not disappoint you. If you haven't read the earlier ones you'll want to -just to get a better appreciation of how the characters have grown. Terri Blackstock's writing just keeps getting better. Her books even while entertaining you -will always make you take a long hard look at yourself and your relationship with God and others. I can hardly wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Newpointe 911 book so far!, Oct. 12 2000
This review is from: Trial By Fire: Volume 4 (Paperback)
Terri Blackstock made the characters in her latest book so real- they loved, laughed, suffered, their faith was tested and they asked tough questions. This book will strengthen anyone who has gone through deep pain and hurt and has felt like throwing a couple of punches at God. It will also help those who don't know what to say when someone they know is suffering. It kept me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't put it down. Thanks Terri for writing such great books. Your heart really showed this time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Newpointe 911 book so far!, Oct. 12 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Newpointe 911 novel, Feb. 6 2001
This review is from: Trial By Fire: Volume 4 (Paperback)
Terri Blackstock has written another great novel for the Newpointe 911 series. We finally (I admit :D, I've been waiting) get to the story of the town pastor and fireman, Nick, and the wayward Issie, a paramedic. Nick's church is burned to the ground, and Ray and Susan's son is found murdered inside. Issie knows who's responsible and finds herself deep in the middle of an attack aimed straight at Nick and his church family. This wasn't my favorite Newpointe novel but definitely entertaining!

5.0 out of 5 stars Trial By Fire, March 2 2004
This book is going to blow you away. How does Terri Blackstock
do it? I started reading the whole set and couldn't put them down. She captivates the reader constantly on the edge but also a wholesome setting. I really appreciated that there wasn't any foul language and in good taste without it sounding cheesy or corny. The whole set is really good! I highly reccommend them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Trial By Fire, May 30 2001
This review is from: Trial By Fire: Volume 4 (Paperback)
The book discription does not do this book justice. Terri's discriptive wording makes you feel as though you are there with them. You can even feel the fear. When I started reading this book I was unable to put it down. It will captivate your attention from the beginning. There is always something exciting happening. I recommend this book to all my friends and family.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still trying to figure out if I like it..., Feb. 28 2001

Trial By Fire: Volume 4
Trial By Fire: Volume 4 by Terri Blackstock (Paperback - Sept. 28 2000)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 11.67