Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage fallcleaning Furniture Music Deals Store NFL Barbecue

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(4 star).show all reviews
on January 30, 2003
First, I admit, as some have already mentioned, the book does tend to be at times needlessly verbose. Moreover, it is hard not to walk away from the book feeling like Carson hasn't fully appreciated all that postmodernism has to offer. Mind you, I have great respect for D.A. Carson and his ability to do exegesis and still keep in mind the big picture--even if he may at times oversimplify. (I know very few scholars who keep exegesis and theology hand in hand.) But one does at times get the sense that he could have made the many insightful points without using all the excerpts he adds in the book--I suppose there are some politics involved in bookwriting ;-). I would have to admit, however, that the range of material--not just in content but also his theological method--are exemplary especially for Christians of our generation who are prone to confuse sentimentality with spirituality. The few above reviewers who mentioned that Carson has not fully understood Hauerwas, Grenz and so on seems to hold a position on postmodernism which Carson keeps a safe distance from. Carson may not have read every book on hermeneutics, postmodernism, process theology, or the like under the sun but at the end of the day, he does very well with what he knows. I'm almost reminded of the philosophy majors who assailed Francis Schaeffer for not having first hand reading of all the philosophers he critiqued. But he spoke from what he knew and he was still greatly used to edify the church. After all, there are many "Schaefferians" who have far surpassed his knowledge but still hold his name with honor. I understand that one shouldn't embark on writing a book simply because he/she read a book or two on it (as is often the case in the Evangelical circle) but lets not go the other extreme and forbid that we say anything about the subject or critique another view until we have complete knowledge of it--and fall into scholasiticism of another kind. I have learned so much on the subject of postmodernism and pluralism through the reading of this book. I recommend it very highly especially if you have the time. If the book does get too tedious, Gene Edward Veith's "Postmodern Times" might be a good alternative.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again