Published on May 14 2010 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars the Case for Christ and its pros and cons
Published on May 31 2004 by Andrew Nishimoto

5.0 out of 5 stars Key Questions and Christian Views about Jesus Being God's Son, May 14 2010
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
"Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect and the acknowledgment of the truth which accords with godliness, in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began, but has in due time manifested His word through preaching, which was committed to me according to the commandment of God our Savior;" -- Titus 1:1-3 (NKJV)

Many born-again Christians are reluctant to discuss their faith with skeptics, despite the Great Commission, and encouragement not to be ashamed of Jesus before men. This book will be a blessing for such uncomfortable believers.

Let me explain. I was working at a homeless shelter one night when I met a fellow volunteer who had lots of questions about independent evidence that Jesus is who is said He is. I listened to all of his questions and asked, "What kind of evidence would you like to study?"

He immediately replied, "Well, it would be great if a reporter looked into questions the way newspapers always do and wrote about what was discovered."

I smiled and replied, "Would you like to read a book that a reporter wrote while he was a skeptic, who later became a Christian?"

A huge smile spread across his face.

I handed him a slip of paper with all the information about this book, and suggested we talk further a month later when we next volunteered. I knew that the Holy Spirit was working overtime to bring this skeptic into the fold.

Before reading The Case for Christ, I had noticed that our church offered free copies to anyone who wanted to learn more about Jesus. I didn't pick the book up though until I heard Lee Strobel speak at a Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale service. I wanted to know more, and this book nicely expanded on what he had to say. It was time well sent in preparing me for more excellent witnessing opportunities. Since then I've also read The Case for the Real Jesus, also by Lee Strobel, and suggest that you read both books. Start with The Case for Christ.

As a legal journalist by profession, Lee Strobel likes to provide a legal context for his chapters and to describe the process he used to obtain the answers. This makes the book feel a little like so-called new journalism. The real meat comes in the questions and answers during interviews with leading Christian scholars.

Here are the key questions raised in the book and the authorities who addressed them:

1. "Can the biographies of Jesus be trusted?" (Dr. Craig Blomberg)

2. "Do the biographies of Jesus stand up to scrutiny?" (Dr. Craig Blomberg)

3. "Were Jesus' biographies reliably preserved for us?" (Dr. Bruce Metzger)

4. "Is there credible evidence for Jesus outside of His biographies?" (Dr. Edwin Yamauchi)

5. "Does archeology confirm or contradict Jesus' biographies?" (Dr. John McRay)

6. "Is the Jesus of history the same as the Jesus of faith?" (Dr. Gregory Boyd)

7. "Was Jesus really convinced that He was the Son of God?" (Dr. Ben Witherington III)

8. "Was Jesus crazy when He claimed to be the Son of God?" (Dr. Gary Collins)

9. "Did Jesus fulfill the attributes of God?" (Dr. D.A. Carson)

10. "Did Jesus--and Jesus alone--match the identity of the Messiah?" (Louis Lapides, M.Div, Th.M)

11. "Was Jesus' death a sham and His resurrection a hoax?" (Dr. Alexander Metherell)

12. "Was Jesus' body really missing from His tomb?" (Dr. William Lane Craig)

13. "Was Jesus seen alive after His death on the cross?" (Dr. Gary Habermas)

14. "Are there any supporting facts that point to the resurrection? (Dr. J.P. Moreland)

If you really want to dig into any of these subjects, you'll probably find the information here to be too superficial to be totally satisfying. You can, however, use the footnotes to find meatier material, and I encourage you to do so.

As a believer, I found myself gaining lots more reasons to believe. What a blessing! Praise God!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Defense of Christianity, Dec 27 2008
Eric Boyer (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
This book does an excellent job of building up a case for Christ and Christianity. The book is divided into three parts: an examination of the Bible's accuracy, an analysis of the character of Jesus, and an analysis of the resurrection. Each part is divided into several chapters and for each chapter, Strobel interviews a different biblical scholar in the given subject. So, basically this book is a collection of some of the best ideas from the best defenders of the Christian faith.

The first part shows some amazing evidence regarding the authenticity of the Bible. This section clearly shows that the Bible is the most authentic piece of ancient literature ever (which many atheistic scholars agree on). For example, Homer's Illiad (which is usually considered to be the second most reliable ancient document, next to the Bible) was written in 800BC and its oldest surviving manuscripts are from the 2nd and 3rd centuries. On the other hand, the New Testament was written in the first century and the oldest surviving manuscripts are from the 2nd century. So, 1,000 year gap for the Illiad, and 200 year gap for the New Testament. Also, the Illiad has 650 surviving manuscripts, whereas the Bible has over 24,000. Lots of other types of evidence are presented in this section, such the Bible's style of writing, sources from outside the Bible, and archeology.

The second part examines Jesus character and answers questions like: Did Jesus actually consider himself to be the messiah?, Was Jesus insane when he claimed to be the messiah?, Does he fit the Old Testament's description of the messiah, and Did he fulfill the Old Testament prophecies? Once again, Strobel and his interviewees present some amazing evidence here.

The third section goes into the details of Jesus' resurrection. Questions that are posed here are: Was Jesus' resurrection a hoax?, Was Jesus' tomb actually empty?, Did Jesus appear to people after his crucifixion?, and What is the circumstantial evidence for the resurrection?

Overall I found the evidence in this book to be very convincing. I admit that I was already Catholic before reading the book, but when reading books regarding religion, politics, or controversial issues I make sure that I keep an objective and open mind.

Of course, there are many negative reviews about this book on Amazon, but I'm not too surprised because this book has a very wide audience: Christians, other religions, agnostics, atheists, pretty much anyone. This is because many people recommend this book to non-Christians, which is because it covers pretty much all the basic points in Christianity. So, with many atheists reading the book it's natural to have many negative reviews. Also, this book only covers the basics; it doesn't give long answers to all the questions (like some other, larger apologetics books do), so many people will come up counter-arguments. And, the book is in an interview format, so the interviewees might have forgotten a few arguments when being interviewed.

But, the point of this book is not to cover every possible counter-argument to Christianity. It covers many, but not all. If you want more evidence for Christianity then Strobel has many other amazing books, and at the end of each chapter in this book he gives lots of references.

And of course, the main thing to do when reading a book about religion (or any other controversial topic) is to not be biased! If you're biased or have a preconceived position on the topic then no matter how much evidence you are given, chances are that you will not be swayed. It's really too bad how much our emotions or bias get in the way of important issues like religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book .... Highly Recommend!, Aug. 4 2004
Jane E. Rockley (Santa Ana, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
This book contains the best arguments for the validity of the Christian faith that I have ever read, outside of the bible of course! The author interviews many educated people and gives credible evidence to support all that the bible claims and all that Jesus claims, in a very readable, reasonable and intelligent format. I would recommend this book to those who already believe that the bible is God's word, as well as those who have this question: is the bible truly God's word? I am very grateful for this well written defense of the faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for every "seeker", July 14 2004
Noel Lloyd "Noel Lloyd" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
THE best father's day present I've ever received. Wonderfully done. Lee Strobel asks the hard questions of world class experts and delivers a compelling case for my God and Savior, Jesus Christ.
I loved McDowell's "Evidence that Demands a Verdict", but this is so much more readable. His mix of present day law cases to introduce and illustrate each segment drew me in and his personal interviews with the people who know the real facts about Jesus and the New Testament was entertaining as well as informative. It was like being in on the best conversations about Jesus you could hear.
I'm grateful for this author and this faith strengthening book. Christians: Buy it, read it and give it to others.
Non-Christians: This is a wonderful close-up of the facts about the life of Jesus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very compelling, but should give more opposing arguments., July 7 2004
Chip Hunter "chips_books" (Gainesville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
Strobel does an excellent job of examining the evidence for the Ressurection of Christ from all angles. His findings are very logical and convincing. This is a really good book to read if you are as confused and skeptical as I have recently become. The methodical way that Strobel presents the evidence in this book argues very very strongly for the truth of the Bible. The only shortcoming as far as I'm concerned is his neglecting to really give the full arguments for the liberals and atheists (or if he did, they sure don't have very solid cases). I would highly reccomend this book to anyone interested in learning about the history and the evidence of Christ and the church.

3.0 out of 5 stars the Case for Christ and its pros and cons, May 31 2004
Andrew Nishimoto (Lakewood, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
The Case for Christ was a very interesting novel about a journalist's (Lee Strobel) search for the truth about the figure of Jesus Christ. In order to do this in a fashion in which most people would accept, he interviewed several experts in the subject he was investigating. He went to scholars and professors at several different universities and study groups to find facts about the prophecies of Christ, His resurrection, His crucifixion, objections to the life of Christ, and several other key factors to dispute, about the man of Christ.
Though Strobel investigates in a new and interesting manner, there are flaws to his method. The first flaw is the fact that before every interview, Strobel must take two to four paragraphs to show the credibility of each interviewee. Though this is a necessary section of each interview there are so many different interviewees that it is difficult because credibility facts interrupt the arguments for each point. These facts may be necessary to establish the credibility of the witness, but I think it would have been wise to give us all the credibility facts either at the end or the beginning of the book.
Even though there are ways to improve the style of writing for this particular purpose I believe Strobel's "interrogation" of each individual expert results in several points that can no longer be disputed. One example of this is the interview with Dr. Alexander Metherell, which brought about the scientific evidence that Jesus did in fact die in the cross, which refutes the swoon theory of Jesus' resurrection. Not only does Strobel present evidence well in The Case for Christ, but he also does it in such a manner that each interview compliments the previous to give the book a smooth rhythm or flow.

5.0 out of 5 stars the door into a fascinating study, Feb. 24 2004
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book that gives a very short overview of very large fields of study. It samples the evidence briefly from different disciplines, hopefully enough to show that there is compelling evidence for the historicity of the New Testament story outside of the Bible text itself.
Nothing in this book should be deemed a slam-dunk. It's far too short for that. It should however at least silence those who repeat oft-used canards about the NT.
Probably more valuable than the book itself are the short bibliographies at the end of each chapter, referring you to more in-depth works on the field of study. I've begun making my way through these, and THAT'S where the real treasure lies.
This book is great at quickly arming yourself with more information than the average detractor has on the other side, and is good at piquing the interest of those who say there is no historicity to Christianity. If you expect to walk away convinced, you're not understanding the issue. Read this, then pick up a few books from the Bibliography.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to dissapoint...., Sept. 25 2002
I have to be the voice of dissent here - as an agnostic I was really looking forward to reading this book and perhaps hearing a few solid arguments about the case for Christ.
I found the book to not deliver in any meaningful way to the goals that were stated. The author makes claims to be interested only in the TRUTH and facts about things, as unpleasant as they might be to hear, and claim to be after the truth of some very HARD-HITTING questions, but then he continually glaringly affirms his own beliefs with incredibly weak testimony and heresay from other Christians - notably ones with impressive accomplishments as "proof" of the validity of their opinions. I found most of the passages trite and without much meat - I need meat!! Most of the "evidence" that is used in the book is incredibly circumstantial and would not pass even a precursory examination in any scientific field. I suppose the main problem with humans is general is that they see exactly what they want to see, and this book proves this over and over despite claims to the contrary.
I have never been pressured towards OR away from any particular religion, and having not been born into it as most are, I think this gives me more of an objective opinion - I seek not to prove nor disprove ANY religious theory, only take all of my observations in and form conclusions based on those. I don't think it's a coincidence that <5% of americans are muslim, and <1% of chinese are Christian - humans obviously tend to follow the beliefs of their family and friends. I am still open to finding a God or following, but I need more evidence than the very texts that promote each religion - eg Koran / Bible!! I was really hoping this book would help me out, but it in fact had the opposite effect - something along the lines of "That's it?". No, I'm not saying I need all the proof in the world before I would place my faith in something, but I need SOMETHING more than heresay and very weak corroborative evidence to the Bible!!
I hope I didn't offend anyone here (before you classify my review as unhelpful :) ), my brain happens to be a critical thinking type which seems to be beyond my control!! I hope that most Christians and other religious types are as open to critical analysis as I am - I think the world is incredibly lacking in such thought processes.
An interesting but unconvincing read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for committed Christians and skeptics, Feb. 20 2013
This review is from: Case For Christ (Hardcover)
This book is well written, extremely fascinating, extensively researched and convincing. A great resource for committed Christians and skeptics alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of The Case for Christ, Nov. 23 2011
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
A compelling argument for trust in the Bible as an accurate, detailed and true description of the life and purpose of Christ's life some 2000 years ago in the land of Palestine. Strobel, in a detailed way, recounts the many interviews he has with experts on the intricacies of verifying the truth contained in the written word, in this case, the New Testament and in particular the gospels and to a lesser extent the letters by Paul, the apostle. He is detailed to a necessary extent but interesting as he writes with clarity and precision topics that would not ordinarily hold your attention for longer than a couple of minutes.

Case For Christ Unabr Cd
Case For Christ Unabr Cd by Lee Strobel (Audio CD - Oct. 17 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 74.95