5.0 out of 5 stars the door into a fascinating study
This is a wonderful book that gives a very short overview of very large fields of study. It samples the evidence briefly from different disciplines, hopefully enough to show that there is compelling evidence for the historicity of the New Testament story outside of the Bible text itself.
Published on Feb. 24 2004 by Randy

3.0 out of 5 stars the Case for Christ and its pros and cons
Published on May 31 2004 by Andrew Nishimoto

3.0 out of 5 stars the Case for Christ and its pros and cons, May 31 2004
Andrew Nishimoto (Lakewood, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
The Case for Christ was a very interesting novel about a journalist's (Lee Strobel) search for the truth about the figure of Jesus Christ. In order to do this in a fashion in which most people would accept, he interviewed several experts in the subject he was investigating. He went to scholars and professors at several different universities and study groups to find facts about the prophecies of Christ, His resurrection, His crucifixion, objections to the life of Christ, and several other key factors to dispute, about the man of Christ.
Though Strobel investigates in a new and interesting manner, there are flaws to his method. The first flaw is the fact that before every interview, Strobel must take two to four paragraphs to show the credibility of each interviewee. Though this is a necessary section of each interview there are so many different interviewees that it is difficult because credibility facts interrupt the arguments for each point. These facts may be necessary to establish the credibility of the witness, but I think it would have been wise to give us all the credibility facts either at the end or the beginning of the book.
Even though there are ways to improve the style of writing for this particular purpose I believe Strobel's "interrogation" of each individual expert results in several points that can no longer be disputed. One example of this is the interview with Dr. Alexander Metherell, which brought about the scientific evidence that Jesus did in fact die in the cross, which refutes the swoon theory of Jesus' resurrection. Not only does Strobel present evidence well in The Case for Christ, but he also does it in such a manner that each interview compliments the previous to give the book a smooth rhythm or flow.

5.0 out of 5 stars the door into a fascinating study, Feb. 24 2004
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
Nothing in this book should be deemed a slam-dunk. It's far too short for that. It should however at least silence those who repeat oft-used canards about the NT.
Probably more valuable than the book itself are the short bibliographies at the end of each chapter, referring you to more in-depth works on the field of study. I've begun making my way through these, and THAT'S where the real treasure lies.
This book is great at quickly arming yourself with more information than the average detractor has on the other side, and is good at piquing the interest of those who say there is no historicity to Christianity. If you expect to walk away convinced, you're not understanding the issue. Read this, then pick up a few books from the Bibliography.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry to dissapoint...., Sept. 25 2002
I have to be the voice of dissent here - as an agnostic I was really looking forward to reading this book and perhaps hearing a few solid arguments about the case for Christ.
I found the book to not deliver in any meaningful way to the goals that were stated. The author makes claims to be interested only in the TRUTH and facts about things, as unpleasant as they might be to hear, and claim to be after the truth of some very HARD-HITTING questions, but then he continually glaringly affirms his own beliefs with incredibly weak testimony and heresay from other Christians - notably ones with impressive accomplishments as "proof" of the validity of their opinions. I found most of the passages trite and without much meat - I need meat!! Most of the "evidence" that is used in the book is incredibly circumstantial and would not pass even a precursory examination in any scientific field. I suppose the main problem with humans is general is that they see exactly what they want to see, and this book proves this over and over despite claims to the contrary.
I have never been pressured towards OR away from any particular religion, and having not been born into it as most are, I think this gives me more of an objective opinion - I seek not to prove nor disprove ANY religious theory, only take all of my observations in and form conclusions based on those. I don't think it's a coincidence that <5% of americans are muslim, and <1% of chinese are Christian - humans obviously tend to follow the beliefs of their family and friends. I am still open to finding a God or following, but I need more evidence than the very texts that promote each religion - eg Koran / Bible!! I was really hoping this book would help me out, but it in fact had the opposite effect - something along the lines of "That's it?". No, I'm not saying I need all the proof in the world before I would place my faith in something, but I need SOMETHING more than heresay and very weak corroborative evidence to the Bible!!
I hope I didn't offend anyone here (before you classify my review as unhelpful :) ), my brain happens to be a critical thinking type which seems to be beyond my control!! I hope that most Christians and other religious types are as open to critical analysis as I am - I think the world is incredibly lacking in such thought processes.
An interesting but unconvincing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for every "seeker", July 14 2004
Noel Lloyd "Noel Lloyd" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
THE best father's day present I've ever received. Wonderfully done. Lee Strobel asks the hard questions of world class experts and delivers a compelling case for my God and Savior, Jesus Christ.
I loved McDowell's "Evidence that Demands a Verdict", but this is so much more readable. His mix of present day law cases to introduce and illustrate each segment drew me in and his personal interviews with the people who know the real facts about Jesus and the New Testament was entertaining as well as informative. It was like being in on the best conversations about Jesus you could hear.
I'm grateful for this author and this faith strengthening book. Christians: Buy it, read it and give it to others.
Non-Christians: This is a wonderful close-up of the facts about the life of Jesus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very compelling, but should give more opposing arguments., July 7 2004
Chip Hunter "chips_books" (Gainesville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
Strobel does an excellent job of examining the evidence for the Ressurection of Christ from all angles. His findings are very logical and convincing. This is a really good book to read if you are as confused and skeptical as I have recently become. The methodical way that Strobel presents the evidence in this book argues very very strongly for the truth of the Bible. The only shortcoming as far as I'm concerned is his neglecting to really give the full arguments for the liberals and atheists (or if he did, they sure don't have very solid cases). I would highly reccomend this book to anyone interested in learning about the history and the evidence of Christ and the church.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book .... Highly Recommend!, Aug. 4 2004
Jane E. Rockley (Santa Ana, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
This book contains the best arguments for the validity of the Christian faith that I have ever read, outside of the bible of course! The author interviews many educated people and gives credible evidence to support all that the bible claims and all that Jesus claims, in a very readable, reasonable and intelligent format. I would recommend this book to those who already believe that the bible is God's word, as well as those who have this question: is the bible truly God's word? I am very grateful for this well written defense of the faith.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid Effort But Could Use a Follow-Up Volume, July 1 2004
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
If you're reading these reviews you've undoubtedly seen a wide variety of reviews, spanning from "FIVE STARS THIS TOTALLY PROVES JESUS IS GOD HIGHLY RECCOMENDED!" to "One star. This book uses faulty logic and straw men to 'prove' what was already presupposed". So where's the book really fall? In my opinion, somewhere in between.
The structure of the book is well crafted. If you're going to try and prove that Jesus is God, the first thing you have to do is prove that we know about him is reliable, and that's what Strobel sets out to do from the beginning by interviewing various biblical scholars. After that's done Strobel moves on to analyzing Jesus himself, attempting to answer questions such as "Was he a lunatic? Did he match the idendity of the Messiah?" and then finally moving on to the Ressurection.
Many have complained that Strobel only interviews Christians. I did not have a problem with this. If you understand what Lee was doing at the time, trying to find answers to the objections to Christianity that he had, it's only natural for him to interview Christians to try and find those answers.
However, what keeps this book from being a real sucess is that while it answers every objection to Christianity raised within it pretty swiftly, there are mountains of issues that were not raised at all. Personally I don't believe they were avoided intentionally, but they're still there. That is why I think a follow-up to this book would be great. It would be really great if it could somehow incorporate reader-submitted inquiries. I think alot of people would be very interested in reading that.
So, in conclusion, the Case for Christ doesn't present a clear verdict in the case for Jesus being God, but the information contained here will probably surprise alot of agnostics and open doors into further research.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read and nice intro to Evidential Apologetics., April 16 2004
kerry195 "KG" (Theologically Correct dot Com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
Years ago I wrote: "This is one of those books I can't comment on without sounding like a blithering idiot. Excellent, easy to read, FULL of apologetic material giving a SOUND defense of the Christian faith, this book is an example of 1 Peter 3:15 in action."
I still stand by those statements in regard to this book. Strobel focuses on proving the historical reliability for the gospel accounts and does a fairly decent job in a non-academic fashion. He interviews top scholars and shows the textual and other evidence for faith in Christ.
I still recommend it, though not as highly, since I'm now reformed in my soteriology. This book will definitely challenge all of the usual misconceptions that non-Christians have about the scriptures. My only reason for not giving it a full 5 stars has to do with the author. Coming from the 'seeker sensitive' background, Strobel, Hybels and others deny humanity's radical depravity and books like these are written with the assumption that simply seeing the facts will change someone's mind. The only thing that can truly bring someone to Christ is the Father's drawing power upon whom He wills it (John 6:44-66), not human effort. Use this book to eliminate objections and if someone converts as a result of reading it, praise God. If they don't, praise God for the truth of His word going forth anyway!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes Beyond Reasonable Doubt, March 27 2004
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
I recently asked a Christian friend how he could possibly believe the Jesus story as outlined in the gospels when there were so many other logical explanations that could account for what happened. I expected him to respond, "Faith." Instead, he suggested I read this book. Though reluctant, I followed his suggestion. I was certain the book would contain the typical circular logic (or lack thereof) "How can I believe what the Bible says? Because Jesus said it. How can I believe that? The Bible says so." But this was not the case at all. The author presents common agnostic positions to 13 experts in the fields of theology, history, philosophy, psychology, archaeology, and pathology. Discussed are some of the same objections I have had regarding the Jesus story, plus some that I hadn't yet thought of. No creampuff questions here, mind you. These were reasonable, logical objections that I was certain would at best disprove the case for Christ and at worst cast serious doubt about it. I was shocked to find that in each case, overwhelming evidence was presented supporting the life, death, and resurrection of Christ as outlined in the Bible. This is not the outcome I expected to have from reading this book. Rather, I was certain I would come away with a more solid foundation of why I was right to not believe the legendary story of Christ. I don't recall ever reading a book that has moved me like this one has. I would recommend this book to agnostics as well as Christians. Either way, I feel that this book is well-worth reading, especially for those who have natural doubts about the resurrection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Opened doors, March 3 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Case For Christ (Paperback)
I read this book a few years ago while just investigating christianity. I was very skeptical, and had all kinds of doubts, based on my knowledge of evolution, my public school education, exposure to the discovery channel, PBS, etc., which all tend to support a mere mythological view of christianity. I read the whole book in a matter of days, and was very impressed with the amount of topics that were satisfactorily covered in this book.
I'm not going to say I gave my life to Christ immediately, but this book opened the door for me to take Christ seriously, and to apply the same skepticism toward scientific theory that I had previously applied only toward religion. I eventually became convinced of the reality of God and the truth of the gospels, and have since trusted my life to Christ gratefully. I've bought several copies of this book and given it as a gift to family members and other non-believers in hopes that it will open doors for them as it did me.
This book isn't perfect, but its a very readable exploration into christian apologetics for a newcomer. I read The Verdict recently (the book written to counter this one), and it was surprisingly weak. Nearly every major argument in The Verdict was based on the same faulty logic (argument from silence). I started highlighting major logical fallacies from the beginning, and got about halfway through that book before my hand had turned yellow and I decided it just wasn't challenging enough. The sheer inability of the author of The Verdict to adequately challenge the arguments in this book are a testament to its quality. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone, along with Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis.

Case For Christ Unabr Cd
Case For Christ Unabr Cd by Lee Strobel (Audio CD - Oct. 17 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 50.80