5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing God into your dating relationships

Published on May 8 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing God into your dating relationships, July 15 2001
This review is from: Boundaries In Dating (Paperback)
"Boundaries in Dating" is a guide toward dating intentionally, intended for those who wish to have some spiritual guidance in their dating relationships. It helps to answer in part questions that should be a part of any dating relationship: where is God in all of this, and what role does God play in our dating relationship? How do I reflect God's values in my approach toward dating?
In Part 1, the authors recommend the approach of "taking God on a date" with you. They encourage requiring and embodying truth in dating relationships, guard against repeating the past, and remind that "dating won't cure a lonely heart," for that role belongs to God. (Additional spiritual reading, such as Henri J. M. Nouwen's "The Inner Voice of Love," support the theme of addressing needs and loneliness from a spiritual perspective as a foundation to addressing them from a relational perspective.) Part 2 examines character discernment of one's dating partner, and Part 3 examines self-reflection, particularly the issues of clinging to false hope (when a dating partner's actions don't support stated intentions) and the role of blame. Part 3 is particularly valuable in assigning responsibilities to roles in the dating relationship, sorting out what's your responsibility and what responsibility lies with your dating partner.
Chapter 17, "Set Appropriate Physical Limits," is the best discussion I've ever read on the long-term, destructive effect of premarital sex on our emotional, spiritual, and relational well-being. Far more than being merely prohibitive, it examines deeply the importance of delaying self-gratification. It provides a refreshingly thought-provoking and countercultural reminder that God's ways are not the ways of the culture in which we live, and what a challenge it is to integrate these two ways of life, should one choose to do so.
"Boundaries in dating is about becoming a truthful, caring, responsible, and free person who also encourages growth in those she is in contact with," the authors write. "Your dating life should be a powerful change agent for you." Countering the common assumption that dating is limited to "finding the right one," Cloud and Townsend take the spiritual approach that dating and relating is just as much about "learning about your own issues, how they affect others, and what to do about them." That dating should bring us closer to God seems to be the authors' ultimate goal in writing this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, March 4 2011
This review is from: Boundaries In Dating (Paperback)
When entering the dating world at any point in life this book will help you discover who you are in a relationship. It will give you insight on different personalities in a dating relationship and help you figure out what to avoid and what to pursue in a potential committed relationship. When coming out of a divorce and faced with dating again with the fear of making the same mistakes, I found this book very helpful. I will keep it like a reference book and constant reminder.
I am sure you will benefit from this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, Dec 14 2013
This review is from: Boundaries In Dating (Paperback)
A beautiful book for guiding and strengthening a relationship. It has helped me to think and to make the necessary tweaks to my dating experience to make it more full and a more real opportunity for growth.

5.0 out of 5 stars helpful & easy to read, Aug. 26 2013
I found this book easy to read and yet full of good practical insights. I recommend it for singles who are not dating but would like to. It removes a lot of the per-conceived notions that the grass is greener on the other side, ie marriage. I also am grateful that loneliness is covered in a few ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all singles, July 24 2013
This review is from: Boundaries In Dating (Paperback)
Excellent book - a must for all those in the dating world. Wish I had read it years ago as it would have saved a lot of heartache and pain

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS!!, Oct. 7 2002
J (Michigan) - See all my reviews
My family raved about "Boundaries In Marriage" (also written by the same authors as this book). I had never heard of the series before, but thought I would give this "dating" book a try. I have never spent so much time taking notes, (I didn't get the workbook and should have... but just ordered it) and highlighting things. It gave me a new sense of depth... for myself and for future relationships. It also ensured current beliefs and brought me to new levels that I otherwise wouldn't have obtained on my own. Though this book is based on the reader being Christian, the general idea is great for everyone... Christian or not!

3.0 out of 5 stars good and bad, May 8 2004
This review is from: Boundaries In Dating (Paperback)
As I read this book I appreciated that he aknowledged that scripture never said not to date. However other parts seemed very empty to me. The chapter on sexual relationships encouraged us to not engage in premarital sex simply to protect our feelings he did not aknowledge that God commands us not to. This book very much is a reaction to "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" and I was excited to read it because I felt "I kissed Dating Goodbye" made some good points but still was a little hollow. This book went to the other extreme and encourages people to date many people at the same time. I do not feel that this is a good solution either. Chapter 4 "dating won't cure a lonely heart" is a timely message that many of us need to hear. The book for this chapter is worth reading. Just be aware that the whole book is not wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Reading and Good Ideas, Nov. 13 2003
This review is from: Boundaries In Dating (Paperback)
This book had some new ideas for relationships. We all know that dating nowadays is hard work! I related with the don't screw up your friendship out of lonliness part. This book is good for people truly wanting a relationship. I also suggest you read "Stumbling Naked in the Dark" and "Find a Husband After 35 Using What I Learned at Harvard Business School."

5.0 out of 5 stars much superior to 'kissing dating goodbye', April 17 2003
Donald B. Johnson "jazzman2222" (Manassas, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boundaries In Dating (Paperback)
These guys are Christian, have been there, and know the pitfalls of dating and how to avoid them. Great teaching on life, let alone dating. How do detect safe and unsafe people to date is super advice, and turn it around and see how you need to change to be safe. I did. They give a short criticism of 'kissing dating goodbye' which is right on and I wish more would realize.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Reminder, Feb. 19 2003
This review is from: Boundaries In Dating (Paperback)
This book is a good reminder of all those "common sense" rules we should use in dating, but also brought up new ideas for me to think about. I certainly recommend this to anyone regardless of their dating situation or religious background. A lot of these principals carry over to every day life, too (honesty, thinking of other's needs, putting yourself first in a healthy manner, and friendship). This is certainly one of those books I will read more than once over the years and refer back to very easily. It's written very simply and gets right to the point.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xc056c768)

Boundaries In Dating
Boundaries In Dating by Cloud (Audio CD - Sept. 28 2006)
Used & New from: CDN$ 37.60