5.0 out of 5 stars Discover a fresh voice & a gifted Canadian writer
This soon-to-be released book will help thousands more readers discover Ann Voskamp, a wonderfully gifted Canadian writer who writes about the simplest, and yet most profound, moments that give meaning to our lives.

Published on July 16 2010 by W. Nelles

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my choice of book
Published 1 month ago by Kristy Nowell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Discover a fresh voice & a gifted Canadian writer, July 16 2010
W. Nelles "WriterCanada" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Thousand Gifts: A Dare To Live Fully Right Where You Are (Hardcover)

To get an idea of Ann's creative voice and achingly beautiful writing style, spend some time exploring her much-visited blog, "A Holy Experience" [...], where you will enter an oasis of grace, peace and wisdom for living.

On her blog, Ann shares gorgeous photographs and musings about her life as a wife, mother and writer on a farm in Mennonite country in rural southwestern Ontario. Her lifestyle hearkens back to an appealingly simpler, more innocent time where the daily rhythms revolve around the land, the seasons, the beauty of nature, farming, crops, grinding grain, baking bread, sharing meals with family, raising (and home-schooling) six lively young children.

But don't mistake this for nostalgic Pollyanna escapism. Simultaneous with the beauty and joy, Ann explores some of the deepest, most painful aspects of our lives today as broken human beings, struggling with hurt, loss, disappointment and fear. Her honesty, sensitivity, humility, gentle insights and ability to express truths about life and faith in a fresh way will resonate with your soul... You'll feel that you've just been visiting with an old friend while sitting at her kitchen table sharing a cup of coffee and a piece of fresh-baked elderberry pie, and you'll come away refreshed.

I am greatly looking forward to reading Ann's first book, "One Thousand Gifts."

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich and Restful, Feb. 27 2011
Brian Austin "Brian C. Austin" (Durham, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is not a book to rush through. It calls for a long, slow savouring. Intimacy at its best, without offense or crudeness. There is the baring of a naked soul, yet somehow clothed in praise. Hurts are shared that bring the reader to tears, yet in almost the same breath, praise and celebration wells up in the midst of those tears.

Written in delightfully warm, poetic prose, and with breath-taking honesty, this is not a book for a single-sitting marathon. It calls for days and weeks of delight and inspiration. Don't let it replace your Bible reading. Do let it stimulate your Bible reading. As an author myself, a church librarian and an avid reader of many thousands of books through my lifetime, I rank this one high among the best.

I believe every library should have a copy, but I believe every home should have a copy as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read! It will change your life..., Jan. 29 2011
One Thousand Gifts: A Dare To Live Fully Right Where You Are
Ann Voskamp has written a gem! This book is a classic. I cracked the book open the minute it came in the mail... and I could not put it down! Truly amazing... it will change your life. It is very beautifully written, it speaks to your soul. Thank you, Ann, for this wonderful literary work!

I am getting more copies to give away as gifts. My copy will be mine to keep, not to be lent out... it is that good!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 7 2011
This is a great book. Love it and read bits of it whenever I need to be reminded to be thankful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real, authentic, and life-changing., Aug. 9 2013
If you have been striving for joy in your life and it has always eluded you, and each day seems exactly like the day before, with no personal growth, then this is the book for you. Ann writes in a poetic prose that draws you in with vivid imagery and profound truths expressed in a refreshingly creative way. The connection between 'counting your blessings' and 'all these things will be added unto you' is clearly and profoundly presented through the story of Ann's own journey of seeking joy through living in thankfulness. Cannot recommend this book strongly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing!, May 28 2013
I previously read "Selections from One Thousand Gifts" so I was pleasantly surprised when I get an email offering the full book! Ann Voskamp is a talented writer offering the reader a chance to see the good in everyday, situation or circumstance. I follow Ann on facebook and she offers everyone a chance to see beauty around them and Joy Dares which encourages you to find the good even in bad situations. There's a peace, calmness that enters the soul and encourages you to slow down and enjoy the book to it's full potential, soaking up everything Ann has to say. It's like a time of refreshing, and not meant to be rushed. I encourage you to read this book, you won't be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop reading and re reading., Oct. 29 2013
This book is one of the very best books I have ever read. Her style is delightful. Her vulnerabilaty is naked. She has changed my life and my husband's. I wish the world knew about this little easy to read book. She has the secret and I know it and it works everyday. Hope she writes more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, Feb. 6 2011
Ann Voskamp is a national treasure. I can say in all honesty that no other writer's words have touched me and changed me the way hers have. Ever. This book is a revelation - achingly beautiful, finely crafted and originally expressed. Buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my choice of book, Sept. 11 2014
I am working through this book with my small moms group. I feel that this book has a lot of flowery and artsy descriptions that take way too long to get to the point of the chapter. It also doesn't really touch on the "how". I also didn't feel the writing was crisp and clear, I didn't like the style of Ann's writing. If I was reading this on my own I would not be finishing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars challenging book., May 16 2014
I ahve the DVD and the study guide to go with this. They are all very helpful and thought provoking. I am much more aware of what is around me and the blessing that I have. Ginny

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

One Thousand Gifts: A Dare To Live Fully Right Where You Are
One Thousand Gifts: A Dare To Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp (Hardcover - Jan. 24 2011)
CDN$ 20.99 CDN$ 15.15