5.0 out of 5 stars The most influencial book on Prayer I've ever read

Published on Sept. 9 2003 by Robert Wynkoop

3.0 out of 5 stars A classic, but a dated classic, Sept. 9 2003
Robert Wynkoop (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kneeling Christian The (Paperback)
This is an old classic whose premise is that the reason Christian fail to succeed spiritual is their failure to pray. It is the authors belief that most Christians have lost the wonder of their faith, that deep down inside they really do not believe we worship an omnipotent God who is capable of given us exceedingly abundantly above all we think and ask. The bottom line is this: do we believe God's Word is true?
The author has unwavering faith in the claims of Scripture. He believes that the scriptural pronouncements concerning prayer are to be taken literally. Our failure to do so is the root of the churches inefficiency and powerlessness in the world. In this, the author has hit the proverbial nail right on the head. The author is to be commended for stating that not only are we to pray, but that our prayers are to have meat on them. Do we really believe in an omnipotent God? Our prayer life betrays us.
Unfortunately, this book is written in a style that is difficult to read, peppered with undocumented illustrations, making it difficult for this reader to complete the book. It was very discouraging to read of these prayer warriors of almost mythical proportions with the authors underlying assumption that we too should be like them. Who were they? What is the documentation? Living in a far more cynical age, these questions need to be answered. Although the author specifically states that prayer is hard work, he seems to assume that if our faith was a great as these nameless missionaries we too would experience mountain moving prayer.
I could not help but contrast this attitude with the humanity portrayed in Bill Hybells books on prayer. With Hybells you see a flawed man discovering the power of prayer, with the Unknown Christian we are confronted with dozens of supersaints whom we must try to emulate.
There are better books out there. It may be a classic, but it is a dated classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most influencial book on Prayer I've ever read, May 10 2002
Gary Osborne (Spring Hill, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kneeling Christian The (Paperback)
My title says it all. This small book is big on the theology of prayer. But it isn't written in a text book manner. Instead, this "unknown Christian" simply goes to the Scripture and points out to the reader how important prayer is to the life of a believer. The first chapter alone gets your attention. In it the author states that a person's greatest regret, once in heaven, will be to look back and wonder why he or she didn't pray more. When a person realizes how much can be gained by praying, it should astound us that we don't do it more.
This is one of the few books I own that is such a classic that I read it every year. It never grows old, because its message is truly timeless. I highly recommend it to new and older Christians of every persuasion!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok..., May 4 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Kneeling Christian The (Paperback)
There's some good information on prayer here. I wouldn't use this guide in a ministry but it's one of the better guides.

5.0 out of 5 stars It should be 6 stars!!!, Nov. 22 2010
This review is from: Kneeling Christian The (Paperback)
For me this book made a huge impact in my Christian life. It opened my eyes for prayer. I read some other books related to this subject but none of them had impacted me so much as this one.

Kneeling Christian The
Kneeling Christian The by Unknown Christian (Paperback - March 11 1986)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89