Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store NFL Tools

Aedyn Chronicles: Chosen Ones
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$16.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

When Peter and Julia discover a mysterious silver garden outside of their grandparent's home on a summer visit, they are swept away into a world, which appears beautiful, but hides dark secrets of slavery. Called to think beyond themselves and offer themselves up as leaders of an in-progress revolution, the two siblings discover they possess mysterious powers that they must learn to harness to help those in need.

Fantasy is tricky for a reader like myself who feels that good characters shouldn't use magic due to the Bible's admonitions to avoid it at all costs. Unfortunately the characters in Chosen Ones (book one of the Aedyn Chronicles) are definitely skirting the boundaries of my comfort levels. While the gifts the children possess could be seen as supernatural giftings, their guide ' a holy man of sorts ' pretty much admits to be using a type of magic near the end of this first short novel for young adult readers.

If that wasn't enough to discourage me from reading the rest of the series, I'm afraid the rather awkward writing style would ' McGrath's skill with the pen just isn't enough to keep me interested in the rest of the series (even if the magic wasn't an issue).

The Christian allegorical undertones are clearly present ' the slaves worship a Creator God who they remain loyal to while being dominated by demonistic man-beings and the children are called to free them so the land of Aedyn can return to glory ' there are enough points against this book to put it in my giveaway pile.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This book will transport you in the land of Aedyn and will bring you in a fantasy world where the slaves are looking forward to the days where they will be freed from the evil rulers. Two children from our world will help them to overthrown the current ruling and find peace after more than 500 years of oppression. The book is interesting but not as captivating as I would have thought. It is a creative allegory of the message in the Bible and the deliverance from evil. But somehow my interest got lost in the pages of this book. I am not sure what is missing for me to had enjoyed it more. I am guessing that I am not the type of person who enjoys fantasy books as much as I thought I would have.

I thought this book would grasp the interest of my almost 10 years old son. But after he read a few chapters somehow, he doesn't seem to be interested enough to pick it up and pursue the reading. Maybe he is more like me. I find that if I enjoy a book very much more than likely he would as well.

The drawings included in the book are beautiful but part of me would have preferred coloured drawings. I guess I have to use my imagination in a way.

Even though this book wasn't a hit for my son and I, I think it is a well written story and is worth discovering if you are the type of person who enjoys fantasy novels.
on June 27, 2010
Alister has made the move into the influential fantasy fiction market after concentrating on his main gifts in theology and apologetics. The result is a well crafted, enjoyable story that is fun and positive. We really need more books like this and I hope it does well. If you enjoy this you will most likely also love 'Godstone' by G.A Williams which is a brilliant and original new Christian Time Travel story aimed at teenagers and adults:

Godstone - The Kairos Boxes