5.0 out of 5 stars Runes Retooled for Recovery
Published on Feb. 12 2000 by Matt Howe

1.0 out of 5 stars Too theistic!
After more than a dozen years of productive work with Blum's "Book of Runes," I bought "The Healing Runes" and then returned it. It's full of heavy-handed language about God, which may work for some, but not for me. I much prefer the lighter touch and more open approach of the earlier book.
Published on March 23 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars Too theistic!, March 23 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Healing Runes: Tools For The Recovery Of Body, Mind, Heart, & Soul (Hardcover)

1.0 out of 5 stars New Age Drivel, Oct. 18 2000
"ulfgrim" (Stanhope, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
As with all of Ralph Blume's works, Healing Runes is completely an invention of his own imagination, with no historical basis and little practical value.
Despite the fact that the esoteric meaning of the runes as well as their methods of use survives in sources dating to around the Viking Age, Mr. Blume sees fit to make up his own interpretations, usually aimed at placating the faddish new-age crowd, always eager to plunk down money to follow the latest trend. Having made up his own meanings, I am shocked that he hasn't simply made up his own symbols as well. (Then again, the "blank rune" nonsense is, I believe, his invention, so perhaps that qualifies.)
A serious seeker into the runic mysteries would do infinitely better to seek out books by Edred Thorsson or Kveldulf Gundersson, or (better yet) the original sources.

5.0 out of 5 stars Runes Retooled for Recovery, Feb. 12 2000
Matt Howe "outloud98" (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I bought this version of Blum's Rune book (written with Susan Loughan) after owning the first "Book of Runes" for a few years. I now use both in my life. I pick up "The Healing Runes" when I have a particular situation in my life which needs healing. The book takes the same attitude toward runes and the quest of the spiritual warrior. The difference lies in the interpretation of the individual runes.
For example, the rune shaped like an "X" is the rune of "trust" in the "Healing" book. In the original book it is "partnership". The healing book asks you to examine trust in your life and what you can heal around that issue.
I find these runes very useful and enjoy the "recovery" language used by Mr. Blum and Ms. Loughan. There are so many people who are putting their lives back together -- runes can only aid them in the spiritual quest. I have used runes for about 6 years now and always get so much out of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great daily meditations, Sept. 12 1999
By A Customer
For anyone who wants simple, clear, true insights on how to heal. A big fan, Christina D.

5.0 out of 5 stars "A true classic", Aug. 26 1999
By A Customer
I received the "Healing Runes" as a gift to help me cope with menopause. Much to my surprise I discovered that parts of my own internal life, needed as much help,as my physical life. I think there's a good chance,"The Healing Runes", will become a classic. Karen J., Los Angeles, California

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to runes, a "must have" to help heal, Aug. 24 1999
By A Customer
This book was my first introduction to Runes. It is an easy read, beginning with good history of the Runes and continuing with thoughtful, applicable information about each stone. The focus is on healing, which doesn't apply to my life right now (thankfully), but this will be my first reference tool when I next enter a state of healing! This book was a great introduction for me and my family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity in a bag, for an urban Navajo who misses home---, Aug. 15 1999
By A Customer
Unspeakable comfort, during good times and bad. Wise like my Grandmother. Many Thanks, R.Begay

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Tool, July 26 1999
By A Customer
This book is filled with insight and encouragement. I use it and the stones in my morning and evening meditations.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has a depth that creeps up on you, July 18 1999
By A Customer
This book has become an integral part of my daily life. The depth of knowledge creeps up on you. You will be quite suprised. I love it. A grateful reader, from, the Sonoma Valley.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has a depth that creeps up on you, July 18 1999