5.0 out of 5 stars Runes Retooled for Recovery
Published on Feb. 12 2000 by Matt Howe

1.0 out of 5 stars New Age Drivel
As with all of Ralph Blume's works, Healing Runes is completely an invention of his own imagination, with no historical basis and little practical value.
Published on Oct. 18 2000 by ulfgrim

1.0 out of 5 stars New Age Drivel, Oct. 18 2000
"ulfgrim" (Stanhope, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Healing Runes: Tools For The Recovery Of Body, Mind, Heart, & Soul (Hardcover)
Despite the fact that the esoteric meaning of the runes as well as their methods of use survives in sources dating to around the Viking Age, Mr. Blume sees fit to make up his own interpretations, usually aimed at placating the faddish new-age crowd, always eager to plunk down money to follow the latest trend. Having made up his own meanings, I am shocked that he hasn't simply made up his own symbols as well. (Then again, the "blank rune" nonsense is, I believe, his invention, so perhaps that qualifies.)
A serious seeker into the runic mysteries would do infinitely better to seek out books by Edred Thorsson or Kveldulf Gundersson, or (better yet) the original sources.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too theistic!, March 23 2001
By A Customer
After more than a dozen years of productive work with Blum's "Book of Runes," I bought "The Healing Runes" and then returned it. It's full of heavy-handed language about God, which may work for some, but not for me. I much prefer the lighter touch and more open approach of the earlier book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Runes Retooled for Recovery, Feb. 12 2000
Matt Howe "outloud98" (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I bought this version of Blum's Rune book (written with Susan Loughan) after owning the first "Book of Runes" for a few years. I now use both in my life. I pick up "The Healing Runes" when I have a particular situation in my life which needs healing. The book takes the same attitude toward runes and the quest of the spiritual warrior. The difference lies in the interpretation of the individual runes.
For example, the rune shaped like an "X" is the rune of "trust" in the "Healing" book. In the original book it is "partnership". The healing book asks you to examine trust in your life and what you can heal around that issue.
I find these runes very useful and enjoy the "recovery" language used by Mr. Blum and Ms. Loughan. There are so many people who are putting their lives back together -- runes can only aid them in the spiritual quest. I have used runes for about 6 years now and always get so much out of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE!, Aug. 4 1998
By A Customer
This is one of the most amazing books that I've ever read, without a doubt,THE HEALING RUNES ,HAS PROFOUNDLY CHANGED MY LIFE. Six months ago, I was brutally raped and felt my life would/could never be the same!!! For the first few weeks I was at the rape crisis center EVERY day. Then one day in a group discussion, I asked if anyone could suggest a book or books that might help me in beginning the long journey back. Three women said almost at the same moment---THE HEALING RUNES. I got a cold chill and when the group ended, headed for my local bookstore. From the moment I held it, I felt something from just from holding it. I know it sounds silly, but it's true. Years ago, a friend had given me THE BOOK of RUNES, which I enjoyed for a number of years . At that point in my life I simply felt that I had outgrown it. I tucked it away until the recent event I mentioned earlier, AND THEN OUT OF HEAVEN'S GIFTS, A MOST CHERISHED FRIEND WOULD BECOME A PART OF MY LIFE-----THE ! HEALING RUNES. WHAT AN AMAZING GIFT. WHEN I GOT HOME FROM THE BOOKSTORE I REACHED INTO THE VELVET BAG OF RUNE STONES, AND PICKED THE FIRST OF MANY RUNES THAT WOULD SET ME BACK ON COURSE. I picked the 14th Rune, the Rune of ACCECPTANCE. The first paragraph left me with tears streaming down my face, and the hairs on my arm standing up in profound understanding that this little green book, with it's beautiful stones and passages ,had, without knowing me, hit a bullseye!!!!! The Rune of Acceptance said in the first paragraph, exactly what I needed to hear. "This is a Rune of major blessings, blessings received and blessings bestowed. Acceptance forms the foundation for loving yourself. Before you can rebuild your life, you must come to know the peace that accompanies self-acceptance, for out of that peace arises the willingness and the wisdom to greet each day with a quiet heart." This is most certainly a MUST READ BOOK for anyone going through any form of hea! ling. Healing from emotional, physical, spiritual, or psych! ological pain of ANY KIND. This is a very powerful little book that I take with me everywhere. Thank you both for this pearl of wisdom. I love the strength of the feminine voice, it was long overdue in your Rune series, bless you Susan, and thank you Ralph for bringing such a powerful voice to the Runes to represent all women. ESPECIALLY ME!!!!! BRAVO, IT'S A CONTEMPORARY MASTERPIECE, and a vital part of the lives of almost everyone I know, as I have gifted them all with it. M.K.T.
RUNES

5.0 out of 5 stars this book saved my life-literally, June 16 1999
By A Customer
I can't say enough about this extraordinary book. Somewhere inside, I knew I was sick again, but I was in denial due to years of surgery. My former husband bought me, The Healing Runes, and as he handed it to me, he said, promise me this---if you pick the same stone twice, you 'll go to the doctor. I did, and I DID. I'm alive today due to my husband's gift, his love and friendship, AND THIS AMAZING BOOK, filled with so much love and clarity.

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable gem !!!!!!, Oct. 26 1998
By A Customer
This is a very important book for anyone serious about healing. It is a true, yet gentle reflecting pool, of our own ability to uncover the answers necessary to heal. Reaching into the gentle velvet bag of stones, is a true metaphor for life. I would like to thank both Blum and Loughan for creating such a beautiful way to journey home. A very greatful Native American from the Sioux Nation. J. Grey Eagle

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to runes, a "must have" to help heal, Aug. 23 1999
By A Customer
This book was my first introduction to Runes. It is an easy read, beginning with good history of the Runes and continuing with thoughtful, applicable information about each stone. The focus is on healing, which doesn't apply to my life right now (thankfully), but this will be my first reference tool when I next enter a state of healing! This book was a great introduction for me and my family.

5.0 out of 5 stars "A true classic", Aug. 26 1999
By A Customer
I received the "Healing Runes" as a gift to help me cope with menopause. Much to my surprise I discovered that parts of my own internal life, needed as much help,as my physical life. I think there's a good chance,"The Healing Runes", will become a classic. Karen J., Los Angeles, California

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has a depth that creeps up on you, July 17 1999
By A Customer
This book has become an integral part of my daily life. The depth of knowledge creeps up on you. You will be quite suprised. I love it. A grateful reader, from, the Sonoma Valley.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has a depth that creeps up on you, July 17 1999