1,084 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Every woman should read this
We have been lost to each other for so long...I am so grateful you have come...Blessings on your eyes. Blessings on your children. Blessings on the ground beneath you. My heart is a ladle of sweet water, brimming over. Selah."
Published on July 2 2004 by Cookie Everman

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Disappointed
Published 7 months ago by Gisela

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised!, May 7 2011
Melissa (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
This book had been sitting on my shelf for over a year before I decided to pick it up and give it a try. My mother had recommended it to me, but I was hesitant to read it because of the biblical storyline. I am not very religious, so I was unfamiliar with many of the characters that were presented, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that my lack of knowledge about the history did not prevent my understanding and enjoyment of this book.

It is the story of Dinah, who is barely mentioned in Genesis, told from her point of view: from the time of her father's meeting of her mother and three 'mother-aunties,' through her childhood, to her first marriage followed by unbelievable grief, and into the later years of her life as a renowned midwife. There are several dramatic plot twists that held my attention and forced me to keep reading to find out what would happen, more so in the second half of the book than in the first.

I would recommend this book to anyone, even those who are unfamiliar with the story from the Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every woman should read this, July 2 2004
Cookie Everman (Bellevue, WA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Red Tent: A Novel (Hardcover)
As of 082903, this book is among the Top Ten Most Popular (most registered) Books on BookCrossing.com. It's not hard to see why. It's the kind of book that should be passed from sister to sister, mother to daughter, generation to generation. Women in the Bible have generally been portrayed as virgins or harlots, often serving as postscripts to the more familiar stories of men who begat men. But who gives birth to those men? Strong, splendid, complicated, terrible, beautiful women.
Anita Diamant weaves a compelling tale of the most vivid, human characters. Her writing flows like the Nile. Rock on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very unique and captivating, July 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
I loved this book for all the same reasons everyone else did, but I must add that it was very refreshing to read a book with such a unique format. The format of most stories and novels goes: 1. introduction 2. rising action 3. climax 4. falling action 5. resolution
However, "The Red Tent" has no rising action, so the climax hits you like a ton of bricks making for a very unpredictable story. Then, the story continues to rise and fall in very atypical undulations. I love this completely unpredictable format.
One last remark I must make is that I appreciate how Diamant makes no bones about this book being "based on" or having a direct correlation to the stories in the bible. On the very first page of the book she cautions the reader that the stories and names in "The Red Tent" may be similar to those of the Bible, but she is in no way implying that they are true or should be believed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a late bloomer, Feb. 15 2007
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
I must be a late bloomer - it is 2007 and I just read the book loaned to me by a neighbour when I recently broke both my ankles.It is wonderful and as the Boston Globe says "this is what the Bible would read like if it were written by a woman". I concur - this book was wonderful - gave me a sense of the time, the life of women, the life between women and men. The people who complain about the facts should stick to reading the Bible if that is what they are looking for. I loved being able to read about characters that I had heard about in an interesting way.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all-time favorites, Oct. 28 2011
L. Curtis (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
I could not put this book down from start to finish. I stayed up until 2 am for 2 nights in a row just to keep reading. "We all share the same mother" - so true. A must-read for all women!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, Profound and Life-Affirming, Aug. 22 2009
This review is from: The Red Tent: A Novel (Paperback)
I loved every moment of this novel. It brought me to tears on numerous occasions. As an exploration of womanhood, childbirth, and all the pain and joy of being women it is without compare. It explored the interesting balance between early Judaism as it coexisted with paganism, even within the same family...and it chronicled the destruction of the power of the goddess image that was inherent in the move to monotheism. It is important for people to recognize that the god of Abram was NOT viewed by early Hebrews in the same way that the diety is now. Whether one sees the god changing or man's (and here I emphasize MAN's) understanding of that god deepening, is irrelevant. The erosion of women's power is a fact of religious history. I found her historically accurate in her depictions of cultural variances between the Canaanites, the Jacobites and the Egyptians. I also found it fabulous the way the three intermixed as they clearly had to have. Men do not come off as horrid en masse and those who do like Levi and Simeon didn't fare too well in the Bible either. Her story is about women and she captures us in all our glory and folly weaving a story of complexity and profundity that left me both heart-broken and enlivened.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Peek Into The "Feminine" Aspect of Bible History, Jan. 2 2008
This review is from: The Red Tent: A Novel (Paperback)
If the Bible had been written by a group of women this is what it may have been like. As we follow the story of Dinah, whose brother was Joseph of the Amazing Technicolor Coat fame, we see how Bible history unfolds through the eyes of a female. Treated indifferently by the men of her family she bonds with her mothers and aunties during their time in the red tent. The red tent is a place where the tribeswomen went for a period of days during their moon cycle. Here they gave birth, passed their monthly courses, grew old, and passed on their knowledge to each other.

As we follow Dinah through her early years and adolescence, we witness her coming of age and becoming one with mother earth. We watch her personal growth as she learns to love, to lose, and to love again. We watch as she trades the family of her youth for the family of her maturity.

Biblical history takes a back seat here, giving the story just enough to form the backdrop of a powerful story. Dinah's brother Joseph is portrayed more realistically in this story as a man who wears his celebrity amongst the Egyptians as a heavy yoke instead of a crown. He becomes much more human.

The characters in The Red Tent became so much alive for me that I hated to see the story end. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Disappointed, Dec 29 2013
This review is from: The Red Tent: A Novel (Paperback)
I was looking forward to reading this one as a number of my friends liked it. I did not like the style of writing and I did not like the lack of character development. I read about 75 pages and found myself pushing forward and that is not what a book should do. Maybe if you know your bible really really well it may be different but I found it moved very fast from character to character. The writing style was simplistic for my taste and I just did not like it. Gave it to a friend and hopefully she will have better luck. Can't win them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Story, Oct. 10 2013
This review is from: The Red Tent: A Novel (Paperback)
This was a book I couldn't put down. The beginning is a bit confusing due to the amount of names but once you get into the story all the main characters come to life and you don't need to keep track of all the people. I enjoyed learning about traditions in other parts of the world. If you like this book you would also enjoy The Kyte Runner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Novel, Sept. 20 2013
This review is from: The Red Tent: A Novel (Paperback)
The novel relates to the bibilical times and very well written. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the life style of the older generation.

The Red Tent
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (Paperback - Sept. 15 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01