1,084 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Every woman should read this
We have been lost to each other for so long...I am so grateful you have come...Blessings on your eyes. Blessings on your children. Blessings on the ground beneath you. My heart is a ladle of sweet water, brimming over. Selah."
Published on July 2 2004 by Cookie Everman

1.0 out of 5 stars False advertising
Published on March 30 2003 by A. LEJEUNE

5.0 out of 5 stars Every woman should read this, July 2 2004
Cookie Everman (Bellevue, WA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Red Tent: A Novel (Hardcover)
As of 082903, this book is among the Top Ten Most Popular (most registered) Books on BookCrossing.com. It's not hard to see why. It's the kind of book that should be passed from sister to sister, mother to daughter, generation to generation. Women in the Bible have generally been portrayed as virgins or harlots, often serving as postscripts to the more familiar stories of men who begat men. But who gives birth to those men? Strong, splendid, complicated, terrible, beautiful women.
Anita Diamant weaves a compelling tale of the most vivid, human characters. Her writing flows like the Nile. Rock on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very unique and captivating, July 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
I loved this book for all the same reasons everyone else did, but I must add that it was very refreshing to read a book with such a unique format. The format of most stories and novels goes: 1. introduction 2. rising action 3. climax 4. falling action 5. resolution
However, "The Red Tent" has no rising action, so the climax hits you like a ton of bricks making for a very unpredictable story. Then, the story continues to rise and fall in very atypical undulations. I love this completely unpredictable format.
One last remark I must make is that I appreciate how Diamant makes no bones about this book being "based on" or having a direct correlation to the stories in the bible. On the very first page of the book she cautions the reader that the stories and names in "The Red Tent" may be similar to those of the Bible, but she is in no way implying that they are true or should be believed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised!, May 7 2011
Melissa (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
This book had been sitting on my shelf for over a year before I decided to pick it up and give it a try. My mother had recommended it to me, but I was hesitant to read it because of the biblical storyline. I am not very religious, so I was unfamiliar with many of the characters that were presented, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that my lack of knowledge about the history did not prevent my understanding and enjoyment of this book.

It is the story of Dinah, who is barely mentioned in Genesis, told from her point of view: from the time of her father's meeting of her mother and three 'mother-aunties,' through her childhood, to her first marriage followed by unbelievable grief, and into the later years of her life as a renowned midwife. There are several dramatic plot twists that held my attention and forced me to keep reading to find out what would happen, more so in the second half of the book than in the first.

I would recommend this book to anyone, even those who are unfamiliar with the story from the Bible.

1.0 out of 5 stars False advertising, March 30 2003
A. LEJEUNE "scarlettdoll" (Prairieville, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
I really hated this book. But not necessarily because of the writing style or character development. I think the reason why I just hate this book so much is because it was labelled as religious fiction. So I read it, hoping to feel something spiritual, but it is not really a religious book. At least, not Christian; it's more like the goddess cult. That's fine, but don't sell it as something else.

The author's ability to weave a whole story around this one verse in the Bible is pretty cool, but the story is really just a vehicle to push feminism and the goddess cult along with it. The women in this book don't really believe in God--He's for the men--rather, they believe in female pagan gods and "girl-power". The whole emphasis of the book is on these women and the world they create for themselves; God is thrown in there as kind of an aside. And while all of the men in the book are flawed and mostly selfish, the women are saints, living in harmony with each other. This is, of course, completely unrealistic and absurd. I wish I had known this before paying money for this book because then I wouldn't have been expecting one thing while being sold another. As it is, I feel gypped.

5.0 out of 5 stars I only wish the red tent was still around!, June 30 2004
"duckangel33" (Tacoma, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
I'm not religious. What I know about the bible, I know from being preached to by pius people, television & grandparents.
The story of Jacob was completely new to me, and while reading this book I rented the religious film "Jacob" to compare the stories... The book was awsome, but I'm glad I compared it to the patriarchal version of events, because I realized how horribly unrealistic the "biblical" story was, compared to this work of fiction.
It's a wonderful story that should be read by every woman... especially those who take their priveledges & rights for grantid.

4.0 out of 5 stars What if a woman wrote the Bible?, June 25 2004
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
I'm not sure whether men would like this book, but as a woman, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The red tent is where the women in this Biblical story go when they're on their periods, to give you an idea of what this book is about. I fell in love with all of the characters. The plot is fascinating and fast-paced. The style is beautiful. The fact that the author took one little passage from the Bible and based this entire book on it is remarkable. This book is how the Bible would have been if a woman had written it. A great idea, and well executed.

5.0 out of 5 stars anyone who rated less didn't read the same book, Aug. 11 2004
bookishgal25 (ontario, canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
One of my favourtie books--ever! Give copies to your girlfriends and they will love it too.
I originally thought this was a book about biblical issues--the treatment of women, the brutality of life, the differences in politics--but it is about so much more than that. The core of this story of Dinah is about sisterhood, the bonds between women, and how history often forgets there moving and deeply personal experiences. It's not an Oprah book or a feminist rant, the author is too subtle for that.
The Red Tent is engrossing, mesmerizing, and unforgettable. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Red Tent, June 26 2004
smartnurse123 (Slidell, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Red Tent: A Novel (Audio CD)
This is a fictional story that amplifies and brings to life the story of Jacob, Leah, Rachel, Bilhah and Zilpah found in Genesis chapters 29-35. You will never forget the story of Dinah and the sons of Jacob again. You will FEEL that you are living during biblical times. This is an unforgettable story.
The story is told from Dinah's perspective as she grows up until her death. It is both happy and sad. Dinah describes her life with wonder... When she is young she focuses on the customs of the time and place including seclusion in the red tent during their period, childbirth customs with a midwife, polygamy and ritual circumcisions.
The author captures all of the many emotions through the eyes of Dinah including how Leah shares Jacob with his more favored wife Rachel plus his relations with handmaids Bilhah and Zilpah... The story continues as Dinah becomes old enough to marry; how she is sent away to the palace and becomes overtaken with Shalem. She tells how despite much sorrow and suffering, she survived and lived to be an old woman in peace...

4.0 out of 5 stars A real page-turner, June 30 2004
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
I loved this book. I literally could not put it down and I stayed up all night to finish it. The ending in Egypt was nowhere near as good as the beginning, but it gave a satisfactory end to the book. As far as men liking it, my husband thought it was very good too, and he finished it quickly like I did.
I think it's interesting that the only people here who don't seem to like the book are very religious people.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a late bloomer, Feb. 15 2007
This review is from: The Red Tent (Paperback)
I must be a late bloomer - it is 2007 and I just read the book loaned to me by a neighbour when I recently broke both my ankles.It is wonderful and as the Boston Globe says "this is what the Bible would read like if it were written by a woman". I concur - this book was wonderful - gave me a sense of the time, the life of women, the life between women and men. The people who complain about the facts should stick to reading the Bible if that is what they are looking for. I loved being able to read about characters that I had heard about in an interesting way.

The Red Tent
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (Paperback - Sept. 15 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01