5.0 out of 5 stars Read in Order
This book was the best of the series for me. I finished and thought, "WOW." She writes extremely well and her plots are courageous and engaging. This one had a real surprise ending. PLEASE READ THIS ONE BEFORE THE TWO THAT COME AFTER.
Published on June 6 2003 by Born to Read

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Compared to First Two Books
Published on June 24 2000 by G. Stever

5.0 out of 5 stars Read in Order, June 6 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars A Well-Done Mystery and Great Characters, Oct. 1 2002
Thomas Gabriel "Dr. Morbius" (Solvang, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This mystery is superb. The plotting and idea (without giving anything away) are original and involving, the characters convincing with that "real" sense about them. Nowhere is this truer than in the character of the protagonist/narrator, Elizabeth Chase. I suspect there is more than a bit of Martha Lawrence in Ms. Chase (similar experiences and place of residence), but Ms. Lawrence makes her detective--and her unusual psychic gift--very accessible, human, and true by having her sometimes at a loss in dealing with that very gift, and having a down-to-earth, humorous attitude about the whole thing. This makes it easy for us to do so as well. There is no hocus-pocus here, just a very bright, dedicated detective trying to solve the mystery of a young woman's disappearance in a religious "cult" and encountering mysterious twists and real danger before the end. She gets to use her psychic gifts, but they are never really the focus of the story--it's mystery, not scifi/horror. There's sharp wit and intelligence here as well, and the story is delivered with a precise, involving, straightforward style that never bores. Ms. Lawrence and her detective are terrific! (Can't wait for more.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, Aug. 2 2002
By A Customer
I'm not a mystery fan in general , but I loved this book.I loved that it was set around a cult.I found that really interesting and I loved the psychic angle.Its so worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Work by a Fine Writer, Sept. 2 2001
As a mystery writer with my debut novel in current release, I found myself initially reading Martha Lawrence's Elizabeth Chase novels with suspicion. I first thought her "psychic" PI was a bit too gimmicky for my taste. I was wrong. Once I began reading AQUARIOUS DESCENDING after attending an appearance by Ms. Lawrence at a mystery convention at which I was also appearing, I realized what a strong writer this woman is. AQUARIOUS DESCENDING is a marvelously plotted book in which Elizabeth Chase takes on a cult. It features strongly written prose and vividly drawn characters. It reads well. There are no gimmicks. I recommend this book, as well as the rest of Ms. Lawrence's excellent ongoing series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic "Who-done-it" With a Difference, July 24 2001
Texas Reader "I love books" (Dallas, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
Perfect for mystery addicts who crave variety in their favorite genre. A good leisure read but not a transforming book (in the philosophical sense!) Still, I'd recommend it as a guilty pleasure. Engaging from page one, you will find yourself instantly involved in the life and work of Elizabeth Chase. Chase is a likeable, well developed character who is smart, and generally insightful, without regard to her unusual paranormal abilities. But sometimes the "psychic investigator" is just as bewildered as the rest of us--that's when a "little extra something" kicks in. It is good fantasy (if you don't believe) or comic comeuppance of the bad guys (if you do.) The best of a good mystery series combined with a daydreamy kind of "wouldn't it be nice..." fantasy too. This is a good read for airplane time or at the beach. I would not recommend it at bedtime because you won't want to put it down, and a bleary eyed bedmate may not appreciate it. Oh, yes, this is definitely what my husband calls a "chick" book. I'm not sure what that means... But this chick is looking forward to reading the entire series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Place for Intolerance, March 9 2001
By A Customer
This book was written with Lawrence's usual skill, but the attitude given to her detective, Elizateth, was unfortunate at best. There are dishonest and pathological people and relationships everywhere. I, however, am sick of hearing people use that reality and the word "cult" as an excuse to be intolerant of religious and spiritual views that are different from their own or that make them uncomfortable. Lawrence creates a "cult" that is handily devious and pathological. However, she has her detective scoff in a nasty and sarcastic way at religious concepts that have existed for thousands of years in religious traditions that are not her own. I, for one, do not read these books to hear the author espouse attitudes of intolerance. Lawrence has her detective cleaned with burning sage to clear negativity after exposure to the "cult." I needed sage after exposure to the negativity of this book.
I found Lawrence's first book wonderful, particularly in its positivity, lightness and humor. I disliked the gratuitous violence in her second book, as I dislike the intolerance in this one. I will try the next one, but if it's a bit like this one, that will be the last one of hers I read. I also agree with an earlier reviewer that the level of melodrama Lawerence uses is unwelcome in this genere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Compared to First Two Books, June 24 2000
G. Stever (Rochester, NY (USA)) - See all my reviews
It will be hard to review this book without giving away major plot points (but I won't--promise!). Suffice it to say that while in the previous books, the heroine is intelligent and makes good decisions, in this book from the very beginning she makes very bad decisions. As if that isn't bad enough, the authorities around her also make bad decisions and the cost at the end is more than would be worth paying if this were "real life."
I like to read mysteries where the protagonist shows some skill in solving the mystery and where their good decisions (whether intuitive or otherwise) result in the solution. From the beginning, in this book, the heroine knows that bad things are going to happen and yet she keeps going anyway. What's the point of being psychic if you're not going to follow your intuition?
I was stunned and disappointed when I finished this one. I guess if you're a fan of this series you ought to read it anyway (and I still plan on reading the next one). But this is clearly the weakest of the three so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Martha, You've Done It Again, March 28 2000
This review is from: Aquarius Descending (Hardcover)
Just when I thought Martha Lawrence had written the best suspense book ever, she does it again. I literally could not put it down! It's a fun romp through the New Age with gurus, cults and yet quite believable. It is a great mystery and wow what an ending!

5.0 out of 5 stars terrific follow-up to her earlier books!, Feb. 6 2000
this book was really, really good! not at all light and airy as you might expect from the title, the book was lyrical and engrossing right up to the shatteringly climactic ending. i couldn't put the book down. elizabeth chase is smart, funny and likeable... i can't wait for ms. lawrence's next installment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Superb Lawrence Mystery, Feb. 5 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Aquarius Descending (Hardcover)
When I pick up a Martha Lawrence mystery, I glow with the assurance that I am in the hands of a master story teller, and I'm never disappointed. Her prose has quiet power and confidence, her characters are completely believable, her plots enticing and complex. The psychic side of her sleuth is worked in so deftly and unsensationally that when you hear readers call Elizabeth a "psychic sleuth" that almost creates the wrong impression. She's a sleuth with some psychic powers that really feel more like a very intense form of intuition. And isn't that what cops and PIs use anyway? With Aquarius Descending, prepare to be entertained by a writer who's working at the top of her form. And when Lawrence leaps onto the best seller lists, as Sue Grafton has confidently predicted she will, and friends ask if you've read her, you can proudly feel you joined the Lawrence bandwagon early on.

ARRAY(0xbfab3144)

Aquarius Descending
Aquarius Descending by Lawrence Lawrence (Hardcover - Dec 28 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.57