4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, if you like cutting edge books
Published on Jan. 4 2007 by A.A.

3.0 out of 5 stars What a life....
Some of the things that occurred in his life are both amusing and a bit disturbing. It's great to see an example that no matter how bad we screw up as parents, our children can still be resilient and obtain success! The book was entertaining but as I indicated, I had a hard time coming to terms that this was someone's childhood.
Published 2 months ago by jhewings

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, if you like cutting edge books, Jan. 4 2007
A.A. (The A person) - See all my reviews
RUNNING WITH SCISSORS IS NOW A MOVIE. I had heard a great deal about this book and was eager to tackle it. That, and the fact that it had a great cover. People DO judge a book by its cover, you know. At any rate, I dove right in. Nothing could have prepared me for what came next, and next, and next. I was riveted to every page. About my only complaint is that the writing style could have been a little more, oh, up to snuff, but the story itself is fantastic. I was reminded at times of the writing of Bukowski as in his POST OFFICE, or possibly the creativeness and humor of some other books, such as McCrae's KATZENJAMMER or the hilarious and ever-popular ME TALK PRETTY by David Sedaris. Still, this book is in a class by itself. RUNNING WITH SCISSORS begins with a scene in which seven-year-old Augusten watches as his mother, an insane housewife dedicated to writing confessional poetry, gets ready for a reading. Augusten helps by handing her a box of maxi-pads to use as shoulder pads. This is just the beginning of a story that gets weirder and weirder as Augusten's mother goes crazy and gives him away to her psychiatrist Dr. Finch, whose house is filled with free Valium, an old electroshock machine, and a thirty-something-year-old pedophile. The story is kept fresh and interesting by Burroughs' pervasive use of description and details most people wouldn't notice, like the fact that the Finches' ceiling "wasn't smooth...it was bumpy, like the backs of a woman's legs. The ceiling had cellulite." Another example of Burroughs' use of detail is his description of his mother's insanity, in which he specifies that she is "not crazy is a let's paint the kitchen bright red! sort of way. But crazy in a gas stove, toothpaste sandwich, I am God sort of way," and that her eyes "scared [him]. They looked radioactive." If you've read this book and liked it (then you know what I'm talking about), I strongly suggest you try the follow-up, which, in my opinion is much better written but equally as thought-provoking-DRY. Also recommend the novel MIDDLESEX for something REALLY different.

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd but good, Feb. 14 2007
Horace Killweather (Greater Lake Washington) - See all my reviews
Our book club is known for picking a little of this, a little of that. But recently we seemed to have a theme going. We picked three books ("Lullaby" by Palahniuk, "Katzenjammer" by McCrae), and finally "Running With Scissors by Burroughs. All three were in the category "out there" but we enjoyed each and everyone. My only complaint with Running was that some of the "themes" didn't seem to so anywhere. I would have liked to seee the electroshock machine actually shock someone, and one of the the wackos who lived upstairs was one of the more memorable characters; yet she never really developed into the story line. Still, I imagine that most have seen the movie now and are buying the book for this reason. It was an interesting read and if you like something really new and edgy, this would be the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, Dec 12 2006
I had difficulties putting this book down simply because I was too good to be set aside. It is a unique and quite as bizarre story. Nevertheless, I consider this book to be memorable, highly disturbing, touching, fascinating and quite very funny. However, for mild, strong or weak stomachs who love good reads, I recommend THE USURPER AND OTHER STORIES. I recommend it to those with strong stomachs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charmingly disarming, Jan. 3 2005
Memoirs or memoir-style books are now all the rage. And most manage to turn that genre on its pretty little head. Books such as Tatum O'Neil's "A Paper Life" and even the shocking and gorgeous "The Children's Corner" by McCrae. But Augusten Burroughs has a special place in the memoir section. This guy has really been through a little everything and the fact that he's survived to write about it, albeit humorously, is just a plain miracle. The fact that he's survived to write ANYTHING is remarkable, much less something as funny, powerful, harrowing, and real as RUNNING WITH SCISSORS. This is my first Boroughs book, but it certainly won't be my last.
I would also recommend two other books that are remarkable in the stories they have to tell. Tatum's A PAPER LIFE is a little more grounded but not as hysterical as this book, and the shocking and hilarious THE CHILDREN'S CORNER by Jackson McCrae--extremely well written and guaranteed to drop your jaw. Cheers!

3.0 out of 5 stars What a life...., May 16 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Touching, Jan. 29 2014
I had difficulties putting this book down simply because I was too good to be set aside. It is a unique and quite as bizarre story. Nevertheless, I consider this book to be memorable, highly disturbing, touching, fascinating and quite very funny. However, for mild, strong or weak stomachs who love good reads, Disciples of Fortune is another novel to read. Overall, Running with Scissors is well written and reads in a smooth manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars laughter can even change how you perceive a bad situation. a good sense of humor can turn a tragedy into a good story - augusten, April 26 2012
The story of augusten burroughs is one that you will never forget. The graphic of this book is not intended for anybody that is closed minded. It tells the story of a boy, trying to find himself in a world full of crazy people. His mother is a self known poetic genius, but to others she is the lady you see not picking the flowers but eating them instead. This book has been my favorite from the moment i set it down. The words are flawlessly written with a touch of sadness but filled with hilarity. He spins his life into a wonderful web, one that not one person could ever imagine. His mothers doctor, doctor finch, is just as crazy and abnormal as his mother, if not more. You must read this book. it will change your outlook on life forever. One must idolize Augusten Burroughs for being brave enough to not only laugh at the moments that should have hurt, but to share his story with the world. I have just bought his next book and i am more than excited to read it. I rate this book five stars if not ten.

5.0 out of 5 stars i hate to be redundant, Jan. 15 2008
T. Bigney (Nova Scotia, canada) - See all my reviews
but there is 194 "5" star reviews and 54 "4" star reviews, this is just another guy giving it a 5 star review, urging you to read it.

it's not a classic by any means, but there's enough dark humor to keep you up at night turning the pages.

a very good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it !, March 24 2006
I absolutely loved this book. What a time Augusten had growing up ! Weird, wacky, funny and unforgettable is how I would describe this book. Will definitely recommend. I just ordered DRY by the same author, can't wait to see what happened to Augusten after all that running around with scissors !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perversely Entertaining -- Don't Miss It!, Feb. 2 2006
Alicia Hurst (Victoria, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
RUNNING WITH SCISSORS is a great Amazon pick! Here's a memoir of one of strangest childhoods ever! It should be sad and disturbing -- but somehow the author manages to find humor in the oddest places.
The story involves a self-absorbed mom who writes poetry and divorces the boy's father to take up with a rather unconventional shrink. It isn't long before the boy is dumped off at the shrink's house, which is a madhouse -- a cross between the Adam's Family and a loony bin -- where the kids have absolutely no boundaries. In that house, the boy (Augusten) is left to fend for himself.
It might sound like a dark and depressing book, but it's not. The humor of it reminded me of a John Water's film or that other darkly funny book, THE LOSERS CLUB by Richard Perez.
Don't miss this great book! It may take fifty or so pages before you latch on to the humor of it, but once you do, you'll be turning the pages with perverse pleasure!

Running with Scissors: A Memoir
Running with Scissors: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs (Hardcover - July 10 2002)
CDN$ 27.95 CDN$ 22.36