4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read in one sitting
I have never read Patricia Highsmith's work, but I have seen Talented Mr. Ripley on DVD. I picked up this book in order to get a better feel of what writing suspense fiction is all about. This book provided me with the essentials of suspense without going on and on about the mechanics of it.
You won't find exercises or lists or specific techniques. Reading this book...
Published on June 22 2003 by ladynyte808

3.0 out of 5 stars For the Highsmith fans
I enjoyed a few of Highsmith's novels and short stories, and was impressed enough to become curious about how the author came up with her detailed insights into the psychology of the likable criminal. Common sense told me it was observation - but I still wanted to find out from the horse's mouth so to speak.
While I found it interesting to read about Highsmith...
Published on Aug. 25 2000 by pure-swallow

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and entertaining, May 8 2004
This review is from: Plotting and Writing Suspense Fiction (Paperback)
I'm glad I bought this book. As an author of suspense myself, I found it very worthwhile. It won't teach you how to write--but I've found no book can really do that. In the same vein as Stephen Kings book On Writing, it is more an account about how this highly successful author developed her craft over the years, her successes and failures. If you want a how to guide you would be better off with another title. It also enhances the enjoyment of this book if the reader is familiar with Highsmith's books. I found it interesting to know where she got her ideas and how she developed a small incident into a novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Behind the Scenes at the Abbatoir, Aug. 7 2003
Atar Hadari (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plotting and Writing Suspense Fiction (Paperback)
A modestly written, terse, readable and nuts and bolts book about how plots come to be put together, how a writer makes a living (or doesn't) and how to tell the story. What I found most charming about this "How-To" book was that it wasn't chirpy, wasn't preachy, didn't have a whiff of unreality arising from its advice, and was eminently practical. The only crime writing manual so far that I have picked up, browsed in, bought, took home and actually finished reading from cover to cover (sometimes doing the reading on a bus, that's how gripping it is). Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Ð but is it necessary?, April 24 2000
I always query these "how to write..." books, because everything they tell you is taken for granted by the most mediocre authors. This book is well written and everything in it seems very sensible and sound advice, but wouldn't it be better to be original and devise your own method of plotting, rather than writing to someone elses formula.
If you are completely clueless, by all means, this book is worth-your-while, but for the more serious 'authorial' hopefuls Ð try something of your own devising, it will be better in the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting but.., March 14 2002
Charlotte A. Moore (Perry, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I thought this was an interesting book, and I read all of it, but I didn't get any useful pointers about writing from it. I would recommend it to readers who just enjoy reading about writers, but it certainly isn't any kind of guide to plotting and writing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mildly amusing, but useless., Feb. 24 2004
Karen D. (Cheney, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plotting and Writing Suspense Fiction (Paperback)
Very little useful information contained in this book. You can learn more about the craft from reading her fiction!
Get Stephen King's On Writing instead. Much more practical advice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book arrived as outlined, Aug. 26 2014
This review is from: Plotting and Writing Suspense Fiction (Paperback)
Got the book. Expect it will meet my needs but format is dull and suspense is supposed to keep you on the edge of your seat is it not?

Plotting and Writing Suspense Fiction
Plotting and Writing Suspense Fiction by Patricia Highsmith (Paperback - Sept. 8 2001)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36