5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing characters and well written!
Published on March 28 2009 by the Infinite Shelf

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Predictable
Published on Feb. 13 2011 by County Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Predictable, Feb. 13 2011
This review is from: Something Borrowed (Paperback)
I followed recommendations by other Amazon readers and bought this book with high hopes. The concept was realistic but from the beginning I knew what was going to happen. The author tried to take the reader on a few twists and turns, the best part of the book was the last couple of chapters. I hate to start a book and not finish, especially if I have paid for the book, so I read the first part, skipped to the end and flipped back through the middle. I was disappointed and will not read another one of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing characters and well written!, March 28 2009
This review is from: Something Borrowed (Paperback)
Rachel and Darcy have been friends since their childhood. Of the two, Darcy has always been the star of the story while Rachel watched on the sidelines, always doing the 'right' thing. All this changes when, on the night of her thirtieth birthday, Darcy's fiancé, Dexter, ends up in Rachel's bed. Rachel, first terrified of their mistake being discovered by Darcy, soon realizes that night might not have been a mistake, after all; her feelings for Dexter are strong, and they then engage in an affair.

While the basics of the story are a little predictable, it is the characters of Something Borrowed that sets this book apart from the others of the genre. Griffin is excellent at making them realistic, loveable but not perfect, putting everything in perspective. You feel sorry for Darcy as much as you are annoyed by her attitude, and you feel sad for Rachel despite knowing what she is doing is wrong. I thought there was a great honesty in Rachel's conflicted feelings and the way she described them, mostly avoiding self-pity.

Quickly enough, I was rooting for her and Dexter to be together - maybe feeling a little guilty of it at first, feeling as if I was there patting Rachel on the shoulder, encouraging their hidden relationship. As their affair - and their love - evolves, this is also for Rachel the opportunity to re-evaluate her friendship with Darcy. She goes through the memories that link them together, from their childhood to the present, all the while living a double life: sleeping with Dexter on night, dining with Darcy the day after.

As the reader soon discovers, Darcy's frienship is as much a gift as it is a burden for Rachel. Darcy is self-centered, capricious and wants all eyes on her. She flirts with other men (but would never accept her man flirting with other girls), decides of everything and has absolutely no empathy for her friends. Not exactly the kind of friend you'd want to have. The more you discover of her temper, the less guilty you feel for rooting for her husband-to-be and his mistress. I won't say I didn't feel sorry for her at times though, and I am quite curious to read Something Blue, wich tells the story from her point of view. Can Griffin make her more loveable? Will her friendship with Rachel be repaired? What will she learn from this? Hopefully, the sequel will answer those questions.

Something Borrowed was definitely a fun read; it is fast-paced and real in the details, with great dialogues. If you're looking for a great chick lit with interesting characters, this might be just what you need!

4.0 out of 5 stars overall, good read, Oct. 26 2005
"smoogaboo" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something Borrowed (Paperback)
Who wants to read a book where the protagonist does all the unthinkable? 1) slept with your friend's fiancé 2) kept on with the affair while the wedding is still on. Apparently I do.
Emily does not skip any beat and goes right to the topic. The plots and characters seem realistic, and I think that is partially why the book is successful.
I thought I would dislike Rachel cuz she committed adultery with Dex, but as I read on, I can't help but feel sorry for her, and start to dislike the ditzy Darcy. I can truly say that Don't we all have friends like Darcy? Someone just LOVES rub it in? Someone who is spoiled? Someone whose life seems run lot smoothers than you? I was rooting for Rachel all the way, and begin to hate Darcy more. (I don't want to read her sequel on Darcy)
I am glad that the book ended it the way it did. However, I do have a problem with Darcy and Dex. Obviously he is in love with Rachel, but why would he not want to stop the wedding till the last minute, same with Darcy. Seems they both wants end of their relationship, but either of them wants to end it. How can you be in love with two persons? The way Darcy behaved at the end, just really got on my nerves. Does anyone share those sentiments as me?

2.0 out of 5 stars ... really?, April 10 2014
E. Webster "LizW" (Calgary, AB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something Borrowed (Paperback)
At first I thought the book was kind of cute. But halfway through, when my eyes had nearly fallen out of my head from rolling so hard over the constant condescending overtones of the book (eg. "My secretary made a typo over which I was horrified..."), it started to become painful to read. It's hard to relate to any of the characters in the book when the author makes them all out to be self-absorbed upper middle class snobs with a strong sense of superiority. Is this a reflection of the author, or is this just her attempt to try to delve into the mind of the more affluent members of society? Either way, I wasn't impressed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated!, Aug. 28 2012
This review is from: Something Borrowed (Paperback)
I found this book to be a bit dull. I was surprised that it was so highly rated. The story was good. If you are looking for some mindless reading, this would be an option.

2.0 out of 5 stars couldn't relate to the main character, April 11 2007
This review is from: Something Borrowed (Paperback)
I didn't like this book, although I was expecting to. I just couldn't get past the fact that this girl was sleeping with her best friend's fiancé, repeatedly. It's one thing if it's an accident, but afterwards. Also, if the best friend, Darcy, was so horrible, why did she have a great boyfriend and so many friends? Also, the fiancé was wishy-washy. I don't know, it was a quick read but I still didn't like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Dec 15 2011
This review is from: Something Borrowed (Hardcover)
The book was in excellent shape when I received it. It was a little longer being delivered as it was slow going through the border but just by a few days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, Sept. 12 2011
First I bought it because the movie was coming out this spring!

I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie and I was totally charmed by the main character !

I also bought "Something blue", Darcy's side of the story.

I prefered Something Borrowed, because it was fresh, a girlie story and fun to read this summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy summer read, July 27 2011
Sheila J. Croome (Cameron, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I must say I agree with the other reviewers that this would make a terrific movie and I can't wait for the DVD to be released in August. It's the type of story that stays with you after you've finished the book. It's an easy read but you won't want to put it down until you're finished. I rarely stay up late reading but this week I've been up past midnight. Good thing I'm on holidays!

My favourite thought from the book is along the lines that "once love is gone - we think it's replaced with hate - but that's not true - it's replaced with indifference". How very true. Think about it. I know a lot of people can relate to that statement. Enjoy this - it's well worth the time and the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read!, July 20 2011
This review is from: Something Borrowed (Paperback)
Loved this book, waaaaay before the movie came out. This was my first EG read and it was the one that got me addicted! Emily's style of writing captivates her audience and makes you feel like you're just one of the girls, hanging out on a Friday night. BUY IT NOW..... and then buy Something Blue because you're going to be hooked!

Something Borrowed
Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (Paperback - April 1 2005)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.26