4.0 out of 5 stars an interesting & provocative contemporary read
Published on July 27 2003 by N. Iqbal

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book, it stinks!
A friend gave me this book on his return from London, hadn't read it but knew I liked the movie. Don't mistake me I thought the Matrix movie was great.
However, this book isn't.
Published on Oct. 23 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars an interesting & provocative contemporary read, July 27 2003
N. Iqbal - See all my reviews
Still reading the Matrix Warrrior, I found it to be a contemporary re-write of all the zen and other philosophical books on enlightenment. This is a good thing as I didn't have the energy to read all the zen/buddha stuff to begin with. It used my interest in the matrix movie to hook me into tapping into a fuller version of what the matrix was trying to say. In addition, it used other favorite movies of mine, fight club and wall street, as metaphors to explain points or point of views.
There is an error on P97 where he specifies Troy when it is spelled as CHOI in the matrix script. If there are other errors, then I have not found them it. Overall, I am enjoying the read of the book.
I am only giving it 4 stars as it is using the matrix to hook readers. Lack of originality is deduction of 1 star but if it did not use the matrix motif, I would not have read it. But I wanted to say that the wachowskis went through the trouble to create the matrix myth and Jake horsley is riding the wave.

5.0 out of 5 stars theoretical look at reality through the Matrix movies, Nov. 6 2003
This review is from: Matrix Warrior: Being the One (Paperback)
This book is more than simple sugar candies for die hard fans of the movie though obviously MATRIX WARRIOR provides a reference tool for the film's cult lovers. However, there is a more powerful philosophical bent to this book that takes readers to the deeper meaning of what is reality. Jake Horsley makes a case that the movie could be real (are we someone else's dream/nightmare?) yet even more brilliantly interprets a metaphysical meaning of realistic pragmatism. Like The Matrix, he pleads with his audience to unplug themselves in search of the real inner person by discarding the masks of society and to stop being the source of energy for someone else.
MATRIX WARRIOR is a one sitting easy to read work that is also a thought-provoking analysis of the movie yet is more at least in the reality of this reviewer. Mr. Horsley provides an interesting strongly supported theory that the underlying theme to The Matrix is to unplug oneself from the machines of society. There is no doubt that Mr. Horsley has done just that with this intriguing look at society through the spectrum of The Matrix movies. Editorial asides: (1) reality to this sixties lost soul of going unplugged is if this is all I received by being plugged I was cheated; (2) the middle picture was filler that needed more confrontation/debate between the Architect and the hero; and (3) Mr. Horsley owes a follow-up guide book once the third movie is unplugged. Readers who appreciate a theoretical look at reality (interesting phrasing) through a microcosmic analysis of The Matrix will enjoy this well written cerebral work.
Harriet Klausner

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book, it stinks!, Oct. 23 2003
By A Customer
However, this book isn't.
The author is patronising and dismissive of most of humanity, which he calls "humatons". Of course, he positions himself above everyone else and allows the reader of the book also to be superior to humatons. The author is patronising and egotisical, and suggests that the end of the world "Eschaton" is coming and that not all of us are going to make it through! (and to exactly where wasn't quite clear either). Only the select few special people are good enough (chosen by the author and a select few no doubt). P>This author lacks compassion and if there really was such as sub-class of human beings called Humatons, the author has described himself perfectly. This man thinks he is clever, but it's easy to see that this book was written to ride the wave of hype surrounding The Matrix movie, swell the author's ego and make the author a few fast bucks. After all it only took two weeks to write and it definately shows!
If you want to know about the Buddhist or Gnostic philosphy/beliefs behind the movie do a search on the web, or start with the Official matrix site. Whatever you do, don't start with this book!
Enjoy yourself go see the movie(s) (again) or buy them on DVD or video instead!
Don't spend hard earned cash on this book it's not worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent companion piece to the movies, Feb. 13 2004
Jon (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matrix Warrior: Being the One (Paperback)
Since the movies were not only action-oriented but highly philosophical (sort of Zen-like), so, too, is this very good book. But I believe one should also get some great science fiction books and delve into their philosophical depths, below the high-tech, the action, and, yes, even the cyberpunk tales: "Foundation" trilogy, "Childhood's End", "Stranger in a Strange Land", "Neuromancer", "Darkeye: Cyber Hunter", and other such bodies of work. All present an undertone of philosophical views, usually through the protagonists' eyes, of the workings of the world and society.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, Nov. 3 2003
Dan Baxter (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased Matrix Warrior last week and have to say that is a a hugely interesting, humorous, and above all thought-provoking read. Despite coming off as a little egotistical at times, Horsley gets his points across in an entertaining and intelligent manner. Maybe he has simply jumped on the Matrix bandwagon, but he deserves tremendous credit in his research on this book.
I would recommend it to any die-hard Matrix fan.

Matrix Warrior: Being the One
Matrix Warrior: Being the One by Jake Horsley (Paperback - Nov. 8 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01