5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible first book!
Published on June 17 2004 by Donna H

3.0 out of 5 stars Perky but predictable
Audie and Stacey turn out to be a nice couple but she lacks depth and the love scenes were not really very hot at all.
Let's just say she is a bit to anatomically fixated for my tastes, so the details are a bit crude, not sensual, and enough to send more inexperienced readers of this book running for a nunnery rather than subject themselves to such an ordeal...
Published on April 28 2003 by J. Mullally

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible first book!, June 17 2004
Donna H (Southlake, TX) - See all my reviews
I wasn't familiar with Susan Donovan, but saw this at the library and thought it sounded good. Wow --- this book was incredible! Previous reviewers have said plenty about the plot, so I won't rehash that. I did think the mystery of the stalker was handled very well --- I was kept guessing until it was revealed in the story. This book will make you laugh out loud, and also reach for the tissue -- it has a wealth of emotions and a depth in it's story. I'll be buying a copy of this one to keep, and can't wait to read Susan Donovan's other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoooeeeeee!, May 14 2004
Elaine C McTyer "avid reader" (Dawson, GA USA) - See all my reviews
If you like Rachel Gibson, you will like Susan Donovan. This is one of the more funny, entertaining, romances I have read. I loved it. Another one of those books you read in one sitting.
Autumn Adams (aka Audie) has taken her mother's place as Homey Helen, an advice guru to the Martha Stewart crowd. But someone has been sending her threatening notes. Finally she calls in the police. Sounds familiar right? WRONG!
Detective Stacy Quinn (aka Quinn) is unlike most other detective characters I have read. He is funny, steady, neat, and has a wonderful family. All the things Audie thinks she is not, and his family fills her with envy.
The search for her stalker, leads to several ex-boyfriends. And a wonderfully humorous attraction between her and Quinn. You will be wishing to have a loving family like the Quinns, too.
As the stalker gets more violent in his notes, we are truly mistified as to why any one would want to harm Audie.
From the wonderful characters to the twisting plot, I was enthralled. Great entertainment. Don't miss this book.
I look forward to more of these books by Susan Donovan!

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll enjoy the ride!, April 14 2004
Betty Gordon (Ohio, Mystery/Romance Lover) - See all my reviews
Okay, buy this book and then get cozy. You'll really have a good time with this fun story!

5.0 out of 5 stars A character who trips on her feet-and everything else!, Nov. 10 2003
By A Customer
I don't know Susan Donovan- so I was surprised to read a fun story with enjoyable characters and a touch of mystery.
On top of being a very enjoyable book, the main character was not a Perfect Stepford clone. I am really tired of females characters who are beauty pageant perfect, have a photographic memory, etc...When so many stories lately have perfect characters-it was refreshing to read about a self proclaimed "spaz".

5.0 out of 5 stars Another terrific, funny, thoroughly enjoyable Donovan read, Sept. 4 2003
When writing about Irish-American families (and I am of Irish descent) there's a thin line between pride in one's heritage and ridiculous cliches and stereotyping (one reason I hated the movie The Brothers McMullen - oh yes, we always wear Aran sweaters, Guinness T-shirts and carry our shillelaghs!). With the Quinn family the author walks to the edge, but doesn't cross the line - well maybe a toe or two over. Police detective Stacey Quinn is from a large rambunctious Irish family very free with the laughs, hugs and tears. Autumn "Audie" Adams is from a wealthy, cold and dysfunctional WASP family, which has had the unconscious effect of sabotaging her relationships with men.
Audie's mother was Chicago's version of Martha Stewart, Homey Helen, and since her death the year before, Audie has reluctantly stepped into the role. She'd rather go back to her teaching and soccer coaching, but she made a deathbed promise to her mom to carry on with Helen. But when she begins to receive death threats and sick gifts, it looks as though someone does not like the new Helen. Audie is finally persuaded to involve the police, so enter detective Quinn.
Quinn and his partner have been assigned to her case, and Quinn is attracted from the word GO! She's his fantasy come true - a combination of Martha Stewart and Carmen Electra - or so he thinks. But the more he gets to know her, the less she fulfills that fantasy. Oh, she's beautiful and sexy, but she's no Martha. She can't cook or keep house, she's a bit of a slob and has definite klutz tendencies (she refers to herself as "kind of a spaz"). So why does his attraction keep getting stronger?
Audie is no less attracted to Quinn, but to her chagrin, part of his investigation includes digging into her (failed) past romantic relationships in case one of her ex-boyfriends is the stalker. How humiliating, now he'll find out exactly how much of a spaz she really is! But to her surprise, his interest has not waned and after a few dinners and a sail on Lake Michigan she finds herself meeting his family. What a revelation that is! These people are warm, gregarious, feisty and fun - nothing like her sterile, cold unemotional family. It's almost too much for Audie - that feeling of belonging, warmth and joy. Is it possible for her to be a part of that? Is she capable of loving someone and being a part of a family? Her doubts cause all sorts of problems. And there is still a stalker to be caught, and since one of the suspects, one of her ex's, is also a guy Quinn has hated since childhood, is he able to be objective or are there other suspects that make more sense? Who would gain the most if Audie quit being Homey Helen? Read this book and find out!
Susan Donovan is fast becoming a favourite author for me. I also loved her second book Take a Chance on Me. I enjoy her sassy sense of humour and her warm, often quirky way with characters. I look forward to reading her 3rd book, Public Displays of Affection, when it comes out. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Knock Me Off My Feet, Aug. 31 2003
By A Customer
Great. Simply, great. Funny, engaging, sexy. I've purchased her next title because it isn't in my library yet and I didn't want to wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, sexy, great!, Aug. 30 2003
Risa (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This book was awesome! Parts of it were extremely funny, and I found myself laughing out loud. All of the characters seem real, too... they all have their little flaws, quirks, etc., and Quinn and Audie each aren't what the other expects, despite their overwhelming attraction to each other. For instance, Quinn starts off picturing Audie in leopard-print underwear, only to be disillusioned by discovering her sleepwear consists of old soccer jerseys and white cotton panties instead. Secondary characters are also appealing and have depth. Quinn's family is vastly appealing in the strength of their familial love and the support and banter between them.
I liked that although this book is a pure joy to read, it's not shallow or forgettable. The mystery is actually a good part of the plot, as opposed to other romance novels I've read where the mystery is either ridiculous or easily ignored. I liked the fact that Quinn and Audie didn't just jump into bed with each other, despite the obvious and instant sexual tension. They got to know and like each other first. The dialogue between Quinn and Audie is interesting and witty, not to mention sexy, and the love scenes are REALLY good when they happen. I've read about 200 romance novels so I know what I'm talking about here, Quinn is one sexy man. (while boyishly shy sometimes outside the bedroom). Read this book! you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one is a keeper, Aug. 18 2003
R. Plaza-Gotay (New York) - See all my reviews
I first picked this book because of Lori Foster. She recomended it in her website and I love her, so I thought it would be a good book. After reading what it was about I was majorly turned off. I didnt bought it. Then I got a lengthy excerpt from a group i belong to, and decided to give it a chance. Boy, after reading the first part (of 5) I wanted the book immediately.
This book is refreshing, original and funny as hell.
Autum is Homey Helen, a Chicago Martha Stewart. But she lands in that position because her mother (the original Homey Helen) made her promise before she died.
But Audie (Autum) is getting threat letters and a dectective (Quinn) is sent to check what is going on and protect her. The attraction is instantaneous. Now I dont like this type of book where it is all too sudden, but in this book, it worked perfectly. You can tell the why, what and how of that attarction.
Soon the letters post a date for Audies death. Quinn and Audie can barely keep their hands from each other, and Audie is metting all of Quinn's family, who are a happy, loud, woderful bunch.
She is not used to have a close family. Not familiar with love, and at the 1st sign that her and Quinn's relationship is shifting to love she flees.
The person behind the letters is really sick, and it's probably not expected for most people.
The book was fantastic I finished it in no time. It is beautiful and I highly recomend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not one to miss!!, Aug. 13 2003
By A Customer
I loved this book. I loved the main characters and the rest of the characters were great. This is a funny, touching quick read. You can't put the book down. While the identity of the stalker was a bit obvious, for me, that was not what was important. The chemistry between the main characters were.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, July 11 2003
Margaret (Columbia, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
I laughed till the tears ran. The mystery isn't intrusive. The h/h can laugh even in the middle of sex and I love the dialogue between the two. TG for a book without a TSTL heroine. The sex is awesome. For the squeamish, be warned there is some oral sex but I didn't find it offensive.
I loved the Quinn family. Makes me want to be a part of them.
"Knock Me Off My Feet" is a wonderful summer read. And I'm delighted to make the acquaintance of a new (to me) author. I can't wait to get my hands on "Take A Chance On Me".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Knock Me Off My Feet
Knock Me Off My Feet by Susan Donovan (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 1 2009)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01