If you have never read The South Beach Diet, buy this book instead: It's much more helpful due to the exercise section and latest research on healthy eating and physical activity. If you already have a copy of The South Beach Diet, you need to buy this one as well so you can do the exercises.

I'm a big fan of The South Beach Diet. It helped me lose a lot of...
Published on May 15 2008 by Donald Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Preferred the older edition o The fSouth Beach Diet
I have the ealier edition, didn't like the supercharged book. I liked the older edition better, it was more user friendly. Also the font and display of the book are not very good.
Published on Dec 6 2010 by Janice Reid

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Carbs, Good Fats, Food Lists, Recipes, Moderate Interval Walking, and Body Toning Directions, May 15 2008
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)

I'm a big fan of The South Beach Diet. It helped me lose a lot of weight when nothing else worked. I felt comfortable losing the weight and looked great when I was done, rather than like a survivor of starvation. Whenever I gained a bit of weight since then, returning to Phase 1 quickly took it off.

But there was a problem: I clearly wasn't exercising enough. In the past, I've done a lot of walking and weight lifting . . . but I didn't get much benefit in terms of medical measures like reduced triglycerides. In fact, eating oatmeal and taking omega-3 supplements does more for my cholesterol level than exercise. I know that I need something different.

My eyes opened wide when I got to the section of this book that talked about how moderate amounts of walking (20 minutes every other day) with short intervals of fast movement spaced between moderate walking would do me more good for burning fat than doing all that walking that I used to do at one speed. Now, that sounded great!

Between walking days, you do some moderate body toning. Here is where I had some concerns about the book: The photographs show a lot of stress being put on the back. That's not a good idea for me: I have back problems. I'm not quite sure what to do, but I've ordered the DVD to see how these exercises are to be done and hope there will be detailed instructions there for people with bad backs.

In this book, Dr. Agatston does a good job of describing the various physical ills in joints and feet that baby boomers develop from the wrong kinds of activity and exercise. He even helped me understand how I create vast shoulder pain when I shovel snow the wrong way . . . and now I know what not to do.

If you are under 30, you can probably use this book just as is. If you are older, be careful with the body toning!

The remainder of the book is the same wonderful material on eating good carbs and good fats while avoiding bad carbs and bad fats . . . plus the latest validations of scientific research supporting the assumptions underlying the diet. There are lots of phase 1 and phase 2 recipes, and you can buy separate cookbooks if you want more.

But the best part of the book comes in reading the personal testimonies. They make the book come alive.

Great work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 17 2014
This review is from: The South Beach Diet Supercharged: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health for Life (Mass Market Paperback)
Great book at a great price. Started reading it and it certainly meets the expectations set in its advertising. Very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Surprise, May 29 2008
I was aware of South Beach Diet throughout all these years but I never made an effort to read any of the books by Dr. Agatston as I thought that there was too much hype about them and I considered this whole `South Beach movement' as a passing fad, especially after reading somewhere that South Beach Diet is nothing more than repackaged Atkin's Diet. But the main reason that I actually avoid diet books is the fact that I do not believe in diets. What I believe in is healthy lifestyle and I have already purchased my perfect healthy lifestyle book titled "Your Body Maintenance Handbook". For all that reasons I was surprised (actually `unpleasantly surprised' to tell the truth) when I recently got "The South Beach Diet Supercharged" as a birthday gift. Just to prove myself that I was right about my opinion about this book I took it for my bed reading the next evening. And that is when I was proven wrong. It turned out that this isn't actually a diet book per se. Like the other book this one is actually also a book about healthy lifestyle. Since the book is addressed to people having some problems with controlling their weight, a big part of it is devoted to nutrition. However the main focus here is on proper nutrition rather then just losing weight at any rate. The part on exercising gave me some good ideas for making a better use of my daily walks and weekends' hikes. A number of recipes for easy meals, healthy salad dressings, etc. should satisfy most demanding `Health Freaks' like myself... Although The South Beach Diet Supercharged does not beat the content of my most favorable Body Maintenance Handbook, it is definitely a good addition to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Diet Book, June 17 2009
Amazon Customer (Leamington, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book after finding it's predecessor at the library. Different enough to include exercises to go along with the diet. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars South Beach Diet Supercharged, May 22 2009
Alma Bromilow "APB" (Springstein Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Just as his first book is easy to read and understand so is this one. It has a lot of new and very tasty recipes. He offers new insights and gives attention to exercise and what it means to weight loss. Good investment in your health.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS DIET!, Jan. 9 2012
Not only have I lost weight but after 5 months of unfortunate neglect because of work and traveling I still haven't gained a single pound back! Ive tried to adopt it just as a lifestyle because when I'm on it I have significantly more energy and I feel a lot healthier! The food is great and you definitely never go hungry! I really suggest you try this "diet" you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for people who trying to lose weight, Oct. 13 2011
What a great book to read for people who are trying to lose weight with a variety of differnet foods and low fats dessert as well.. So my advice to people is to buy the book is out on amazon.ca website and the next time I thinking about buying your book at [...] and there is alot of Receipts inside the book.. Enjoy

2.0 out of 5 stars Preferred the older edition o The fSouth Beach Diet, Dec 6 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, July 13 2012
I am a total sugar addict...and within 4 days of Phase 1, ALL the cravings were gone. Maybe I am just ready, but I am having no trouble sticking to this. There are some desserts - one is Almond jam bars (not sure of name) from The South Beach Diet Super Quick Cookbook, and black bean brownies that are keeping me on track. But this diet helps with increased energy and craving control. Love it!

The South Beach Diet Supercharged: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health for Life by Joseph Signorile (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 29 2009)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49