5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate
Book 1 in the trilogy staring Milo Weaver

This seemingly realistic thriller is a first rate fiction , a tale of the nasty and deceitful world of spies and assassins.

Published on Aug. 20 2010 by Toni Osborne

3.0 out of 5 stars A relaxing read
I enjoyed this book, although I doubt it will hit the best seller list. In my opinion, it was a little too far
Published 8 months ago by Johannes Doreleyers

5.0 out of 5 stars First Rate, Aug. 20 2010
Toni Osborne "The Way I See It" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Book 1 in the trilogy staring Milo Weaver

Milo Weaver aka Charles Alexander is one of the CIA's highly skilled assassins, in the trade they are known as "Tourists". When deployed to various corners of the world, their missions are to be executed without question.

The story opens in 2001 with Milo at a low point in his life. Being a "Tourist" for several years has taken its toll..... his only escape at this point is amphetamines and they are leaving him in a suicidal state. A new mission in Venice to stop the hit man known as "The Tiger" gives him a whole new look at life......

The story flashes forward to 2007. Now a married man with a child, away from active duty and bored at his desk job Milo finds himself longing for the excitement and the adrenalin rush of his old job....Once a spook always a spook.... Milo is reinvigorated when he is summoned to the side of the "Tiger" for a death bed conversation.... The man's confessions send Milo off once again on a chilling path into the world of international conspiracies.

This novel is a modern twist of the old days of espionage, a compelling and intricate account of betrayal, manipulation, loyalty and risk. Its central figure is a complicated man with many faults and flaws, but when faced with extraordinary situations he excels. Throughout the novel you will find plenty of breathtaking scenes and heart stopping action. I enjoyed piecing together the various parts of this very entertaining puzzle and would not hesitate recommending it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tourist, June 9 2009
J. G. Bruyea "Mystery fan" (Oro-Medonte) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tourist (Hardcover)
Terrific book , very well written , great story , complex but somehow easy to follow , hope there will be more in the Milo Weaver series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Pleasure, April 28 2011
Samantha "Critical Reader" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Tourist (Paperback)
Milo Weaver, the tourist (a deep undercover CIA agent) is a fascinating character who inhabits the world of international espionage with full reader engagement. While I was a bit confused at the start, I soon learned to relax about the details because Steinhauer has a genius for untangling intricacies on a need to know basis. It is the best espionage/spy/mystery novel I've read in thirty years, since Gorky Park. Every character is built with a deft hand. Each scene is written with precision. I LOVED IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, April 27 2010
Michael K. Jeggo (Victoria, British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tourist (Paperback)
This was certainly in the LeCarre class, only easier to follow! It was a chapter by chapter 'hit', each one had something important to contribute, not the usual 'spy' fluff. Looking forward to some more Milo!

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, May 21 2014
I was looking for a Robert Ludlum type of action and suspense filled spy story - that is not what I got. This book was boring, nonsensical and poorly written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, March 17 2014
fabulous twists and turns and the ending totally surprised me! Can't wait to start the next book in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars A relaxing read, Feb. 2 2014
Johannes Doreleyers "history Buff" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
fetched. The relationships between adversaries and friends struck me as totally unbelievable, I just can't see two enemy spies enjoying a cup of tea together. Further, I enjoy a mystery where we are given the occasional hint so we can venture a guess as to where the story is taking us. guessing the outcome of this book was totally impossible.

5.0 out of 5 stars What does the book say about hope?, Nov. 16 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Tourist: A Novel (Audio CD)
I have to confess that I never heard of Olen Steinhauer. I was just using the OverDrive APP to search my local library and selected this audio book as the next available.

It is almost impossible to keep track of all the characters in an Agatha Christie novel because of the sheer number. This story however does not clutter the story with too many characters to follow at any one time as an audio book.

Being the first in a series we know who is not going to die. Yet you can believe that I may just be wrong. One thing I like about this book is the absence of flashbacks. There may be some background descriptions but you do not have to do much jumping around back and forth in time. The story is mostly told as a third party narration. We occasionally get into most of the characters minds. It is touted as being in the vein of John le Carré and Graham Greene. I think Olen Steinhauer is better in his own way. I am not sure how much of the experience is the narration by Tom Weiner. But it makes it easy to follow while driving and walking.

I do not want to paraphrase the story as that is the reason you are buying the book. However it as about an agent (Tourist) who decides this is not the life to live and tries to settle down to family life. The world will not let him be. There are many parallel threads but the main theme is that he is accused of murder and must find the real culprit before he is caught. The story is how he goes about it. For the most part we get the clues and the next step in this travel story as the main character (Milo Weaver) does.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thinking mans spy novel, June 11 2013
This review is from: The Tourist (Paperback)
This is a throwback to spy novels of the past which kept you guessing on who was responsible for what. Veery enjoyable and hard to put down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Book By Olen Steinhauer, Jan. 14 2013
This review is from: The Tourist (Hardcover)
Great Book loved this story and how it was written Olen Steinhauer is the 2012 and on Robert Ludlum! look forward to his new books:)))

The Tourist
The Tourist by Olen Steinhauer (Paperback - Feb. 16 2010)
CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 12.99