5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to loose some sleep over this great yarn!
This was such a wonderful tale, I simply could not put it down. A tale of two star crossed lovers (they came SO CLOSE to finding each other time after time after time I wanted to scream!), a lovely glimpse of Victorian England and New York City. Many memorable characters, heartbreak and laughter and of course a truly evil villain waiting for the good guys to vanquish, and...
Published on March 3 2007 by Misfit

1.0 out of 5 stars sluggish
I know many people enjoyed this historical novel, the first of three, but i found it as slow as treacle in the middle of the winter. i won't be finishing it or reading the others.
Published 9 months ago by kiwira

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLY WONDERFUL!, Oct. 28 2002
Ellen (MARLBORO, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tea Rose: A Novel (Hardcover)
A delightful read....engrossing...a book to sink one's teeth into and escape with. While in the midst of this volume I found myself resenting all obligations which took me
away from the book. I look forward to future works by Jennifer Donnelly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary!, Oct. 19 2002
This review is from: The Tea Rose: A Novel (Hardcover)
Jennifer Donnelly has written an extraordinary book for her fiction debut. Powerful and so well written, it's hard to believe this is her first novel. A thrilling saga that kept me up til all hours of the morning. A real page-turner. This talented author has the ability to weave an incredibly smooth tale. Her memorable characters with their lyrical Cockney dialect and indomitable spirits will win your heart. It's obvious the author has done her homework - rich, authentic details and vivid descriptions transport you back in time, and make you feel you are living in the story. The colorful descriptions are just perfect - not so long as to become tedious. I loved every page and couldn't wait for the ending. Now that I've finished it, I almost wish there were more pages - I no longer have it to look forward to at the end of the day! This is an exceptional book that you will not be able to put down. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to read a truly unforgettable story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lose Yourself, Oct. 16 2002
This review is from: The Tea Rose: A Novel (Hardcover)
The Tea Rose is an excellent read. Yes, it is predictible. Yes, there is a happy ending. But, it is a real page turner. And eventhough there are alot of pages, it goes quick - almost too quick! The characters are all well developed and the plot is original and captivating.
Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has made my list of top 3 Favorites....., Oct. 9 2002
M. I. "krushedvelvet" (Old Bridge, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tea Rose: A Novel (Hardcover)
"The Tea Rose"...Wow!! What an unbelievably touching story!
The characters in this book were so well developed and created so lovingly, you couldnt help but get yourself involved. Fiona was admirable..This woman suffered more hardships througout her life than 1 person can handle, yet she remaind optimistic..she was a fighter through and through...So many of the characters in this book were inspiring..the way they did what they had to do to survive..how they loved one another...speaking of love...Joe and Fiona were beautiful together...and I promise you that with the way this story is written..there will be times when you are so frustrated, that you will just want to rip your hair out..but oh....by the time youre finished reading you'll see that it's all been worth the wait...I cant say enough about "The Tea Rose"..DEFINITELY A MUST READ!

5.0 out of 5 stars I NEVER CRY, Oct. 8 2002
This review is from: The Tea Rose: A Novel (Hardcover)
I never cry while reading. Well, never, until now. Donnelly had tears in my eyes by page 37. This book is what a novel should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent rags-to-riches story, Oct. 4 2002
Virginia Lore "rumtussle" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tea Rose: A Novel (Hardcover)
The Tea Rose is a grand dramatic rags-to-riches saga in the tradition of the epic women's novels of the 1970's and 1980's, such as Scruples, The Thornbirds and A Woman of Substance.
Fiona lives with her large family in the London of 1888. Everyone pitches in the hard-earned shillings to try to make ends meet: her father Paddy is one of the dockworkers, her brother Charlie earns a little on the side by boxing at night, her mother Kate takes in laundry, and Fiona herself comes home caked in tea dust from a packing factory six days a week. She holds back only enough to add to her savings with her childhood sweetheart Joe, in hopes that they might one day own a shop.
Through the middle of the family runs the current of an eminent dockworker's union and over them looms the shadow of the Whitechapel Murderer, known also as Jack the Ripper. When a series of tragedies strike Fiona's family, she is forced to flee to America to try her own grit in the landscape of the great unknown.
Jennifer Donnelly is a wonderful story-teller. The prose is detailed and specific enough to make the story real, but doesn't do anything fancy to get in the way of the characters. The Tea Rose is a completely absorbing read. Part thriller, part history, part romance, it is cut not only from the cloth of great drama, but from the fabric of human truth. Not to be missed!

3.0 out of 5 stars tedious and predictable, Oct. 4 2002
"nancybooks" (Northbrook, Il USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tea Rose: A Novel (Hardcover)
If you are a fan of Barbara Taylor Bradford, Danielle Steele, etc., this is a longer version of their type of book.
I was disappointed, as I found the plot totally predictable, and the details tedious.
I thought it moved slowly, and was very long for what it was.
The book needed to be tightened up, and paced more quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic at last ..., Oct. 2 2002
This review is from: The Tea Rose: A Novel (Hardcover)
Relentless, beautiful, thrilling, moving. An all-out, turned-up-to-11 epic -- the kind we haven't seen in years (and until now, didn't know how much we missed). I do hope another is in the works -- I'll miss every character until I can step into their world again.

The Tea Rose: A Novel
The Tea Rose: A Novel by Jennifer Donnelly (Paperback - Dec 10 2007)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71