4.0 out of 5 stars Fatal Grace is Dead Cold
Published 14 months ago by Dawn Horstead

It is a very good book but I was really disappointed because it is the same book as Dead Cold. They just changed the name. I thought I was getting a different book. There should have been some sort of notice that stated that it was the same book with a name change.
Published 27 days ago by Beverley Beese

4.0 out of 5 stars Fatal Grace is Dead Cold, June 22 2013
Dawn Horstead - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Fatal Grace (Paperback)
Yes, Fatal Grace is the same novel as Dead Cold. Fatal Grace is (was?) published in the USA, while Dead Cold was published in Great Britain. I was upset when I bought both not realizing this. It is disappointing that Amazon has not indicated the fact that they are the same book somewhere in their descriptions. Buyer beware, I guess. I have to add that I love Louise Penny's novels. She always keeps me guessing right up until the end -- a rare occurrence with mystery novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fire and ice, Nov. 7 2010
Linda Bulger (United States) - See all my reviews
Author Louise Penny writes beautifully, creating atmosphere and evoking the personal struggles of her characters in an effortless fashion. A Fatal Grace: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel is her second Three Pines mystery, set in a fictional village east of Montreal, off the beaten path and as self-contained as a snow globe. Three Pines, shockingly, has become a focal point for murder. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache was sent from the Quebec Surete during the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday in late October to investigate the murder of a local woman ("Still Life"), and now fourteen months later Gamache and his team are back in Three Pines.

This time the murder victim is an outsider; or at least a newcomer, which amounts to the same thing in Three Pines. Thoroughly unlovable author CC de Poitiers is pitching herself as the new self-help expert and arbiter of style, while she and her nearly-as-unlovable husband and daughter model chaos and misery to the village.

My first Three Pines book was a later entry in the series, which I enjoyed thoroughly. Going back to start from the beginning I found "Still Life" excellent, but this second book staggers a bit. There is still the promise of depth, but "A Fatal Grace" has a couple of rough patches, albeit non-fatal ones. For one thing, there are too many "new" characters whose backgrounds are keys to the plot and need to be rushed out to the reader. Second, there is a simmering sub-plot in Gamache's professional life that (while it may eventually add depth to his character) distracts from the story at hand; this sub-plot seems to be the excuse for some dangling ends, which are unwelcome in a mystery--even one that is part of a series.

Penny writes most effectively of the here-and-now, of the vignettes before our eyes and the personal responses of her characters to them. The bitterly frozen Quebec winter, the horror of fire, the village's traditional Christmas festivities, all are vividly atmospheric. But a mystery investigation carries the baggage of all the back-story uncovered by the detectives, and to saddle it with even more is risky.

Even with these reservations, Penny's writing is absorbing and intelligent. Having read a later entry, I know this Three Pines series gets better and better, so I'm carrying on. I notice that each of these books has a U.K. title and a different U.S. title, so I'm being careful not to buy the same book twice.

Linda Bulger, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Great novel and a pleasure to read..., Aug. 9 2014
Pat the cat - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Fatal Grace (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and, although it's not a high-energy page turner, I couldn't put it down. I regret now having read one of the other later books in the series. In this 2nd book, It's really nice to catch up with the characters and the story as it ended at the end of the first book (Still Life), which I really liked. I'm so glad that the old poet Ruth is involved; she's a hoot of a character! That said, just like in the first book, I was quite annoyed by the constant citing of poetry. And, in this 2nd book, the author uses cryptic flashbacks, especially at the beginning, for several characters to help her tell the story -- it's complicated and hard to follow. I don't mind working a little bit when I read a book but, again, this is annoying. The visit to the Ogilvie Xmas window is neat; both my husband and I try to go see it every year even now that we are in our 50s.... I look forward to reading her next book... I give it 4 out 5 stars (very good).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fatal Grace, Dec 11 2013
This review is from: A Fatal Grace (Paperback)
I loved the book. I have read Louise Penny's books before and knew what it would be like.I believe I read this one before but I still enjoyed it the 2nd time around, The characters are real, the village charming and there is always more than one suspect. You almost wish you could be there in Three Pines. This is my 4th L.Penny book and I intend to read many more.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is a very good book but I was really disappointed because it is ..., Aug. 5 2014
Beverley Beese (Nanaimo, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Nuggets, June 1 2014
P. J. Caron "curious" (Dover, NH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Fatal Grace (Paperback)
I have recently found Louise Penny and her Inspector Gamache novels and have joined her book club. The novels are riveting and once I start a book, I have to finish it immediately. A Fatal Grace was a great book. Louise Penny offers so much to think about in her novels aside from the story line. Lots of "life nuggets" to mull over and consider as you read. I would recommend her books to anyone who wants an old fashioned story line which keeps you so enthralled that you forget about making dinner and other mundane chores in your day. Others in my family are cooking since I found her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural Grace, May 31 2014
This review is from: A Fatal Grace (Paperback)
Louise Penny writes with a natural grace that comforts and intrigues the reader. Her artful use of the English language mirrors the art of Clara and Ruth . As Flaubert searched it appears Penny is successful in finding le mot juste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, Jan. 19 2013
This review is from: A Fatal Grace (Paperback)
Love this author and am looking forward to many more stories of the inspector,his team and descriptions of life in the Eastern Townships

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fatal Grace, Oct. 16 2012
A Fatal GraceHave just become a fan of Louise Penny and read 3 of her books

1 S till Life

2 Dead Cold

3 The Brutal Telling

In doing my wish list for friends and family I noticed A Fatal Grace! is this not the same as Dead cold! Is there a mix up Please advise!

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, July 28 2014
D. H. Burney (Ottawa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Fatal Grace (Paperback)
Weak, hackneyed and factually flawed. Apart from that...

A Fatal Grace
A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny (Paperback - Feb. 15 2011)
CDN$ 17.33